• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Hitmonchan vs. Pirmeape

cartercr

Sour Kangaroo's best friend!
    Years
    Hitmonchan Primeape
    50 HP< 65 HP
    105 Atk=105 Atk
    79 Def>60 Def
    76 Spe<95 Spe
    35 SpA<60 SpA
    110 SpD>70 SpD

Also, you have to look deeper than that, you have to look at movesets.
    Hitmonchan
    -- Comet Punch Normal
    07 Agility Psychic
    13 Pursuit Dark
    26 Fire Punch Fire
    26 Ice Punch Ice
    26 Thunder Punch Electric
    32 Mach Punch Fighting
    38 Mega Punch Normal
    44 Detect Fighting
    50 Counter Fighting

-- Scratch Normal
    -- Leer Normal
    09 Low Kick Fighting
    15 Karate Chop Fighting
    21 Fury Swipes Normal
    27 Focus Energy Normal
    28 Rage Normal
    36 Seismic Toss Fighting
    45 Cross Chop Fighting
    54 Screech Normal
    63 Thrash Normal

My verdict, Primeape, he has better moves, and he has better stats. Just go with the one that makes more sense for what you are trying to accomplish.

Ramsie

Currently in Unova
    Years
    Primeape is fast and can learn Rock Slide to deal with Flying types and is fast. Hitmonchan has a varied moveset that can cover a variety of types even if its Special is less than desireable. Whatever you choose depends on what you would prefer to have on your team.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I say use Primeape cuz he is a really strong fighting type pokemon and I would choose him over than Hitmonchan. ;D

Denzer

Why so serious?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    I would choose Hitmonchan due to his nice elemental punches and decent ability to go with it.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    @All suggesting Hitmonchan for the elemental punches:

Why? Hitmonchans special stat is complete garbage. No matter who you are attacking, the damage will more than likely be less than it would be if you used a STAB fighting move.

Primeape has generally better base stats than Hitmonchan. Choose Primeape.

Greene1516

Scratching the surface...
    Years
    @All suggesting Hitmonchan for the elemental punches:

Why? Hitmonchans special stat is complete garbage. No matter who you are attacking, the damage will more than likely be less than it would be if you used a STAB fighting move.

And your advice is moot. All the punches are physical attacks, not special attacks.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2015
    And your advice is moot. All the punches are physical attacks, not special attacks.

You're an idiot. ICE, THUNDER and FIRE. They are not physical.

Now, I understand that this is not for competition; Hitmonchan is lots of fun in-game. But for the people replying saying that Hitmonchan is a better Pokemon are paper-players. Hitmonchan has god-awful stats, a lacking movepool and gets KO'd by just about everything.

Primeape, while not much better, does get Rock Slide and Thunderbolt, alongside with added Speed, making it the fastest Fighting type. Thunderbolt, while still running from low Special (although 50 higher than Hitmonchan's), is stronger than Thunderpunch and is useful against Gyarados and high Defense Waters, such as Slowbro (but not Cloyster since it's Ice). Rock Slide is much better since it runs from 308 Attack, and Flying types generally have lower Defense than Special (such as the Legendary Birds, Dragonite, and others), but that may go the other way since this is ingame.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't respond with useless information. Yes, the OP said he is not using this for competition, but the "competitive" players that responded are idiotic.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2010
    But for the people replying saying that Hitmonchan is a better Pokemon are paper-players.

I'm not sure what paper player would say that Hitmonchan is better than Primeape. First of all:

35 SpA<60 SpA
    110 SpD>70 SpD

Those base stats work from GSC onwards, but in RBY the special stat is not split. That means that Primeape's special is 60 and Hitmonchan's is 35. Hitmonchan's only advantage over Primeape is that he can take physical attacks better than Primeape, but he can't take those hits that much better.

On another note, Hitmonchan does not learn anything worthwhile that Primeape does not learn. Ice Punch *could* be counted as an advantage, but for the most part Hitmonchan's special is so poor that Ice Punch hardly ever helps.

I would choose Primeape over Hitmonchan if you wanted to choose something based on what is better, but as far as beating the game is concerned you don't have to worry which Pokemon you choose. Just use whoever you think looks cooler or whatever.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    Primape is a better pokemon in my opinion I actually use him more often then I do hitmochan

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
    go with Primeape, there is nothing better then a angry ape wanting to kill you =P

^ LOL.

To EVERYBODY that said that the Punch attacks were "NOT PHYSICAL because were in Generation II":

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Thunderpunch

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fire_punch

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ice_Punch

^ READ. Because I don't see anywhere in Generation II that said they were Special Attacks at the time. I think we all have the logic to deduce that a PUNCH is physical, weather its on fire or not.

In my opinion, go with whichever you see more useful to you.

Pick Primeape if you want a good fighting with great attack and Speed.

Pick Hitmonchan if you want a different fighting type with more unique moves.

Your decision, really.

Last edited:
    Back