• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen HM Graphics?

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2014
    So we've all seen the trailer for Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire, and it looks like there is finally a free-flying mechanism in the game. Some people may beg to differ, but I believe that the biggest step forward in Pokemon X and Y, was the freedom to move around without being restricted to grid-style movements, which adds a new level of realism to the game. Is Pokemon headed in the right direction? And if so, should it go faster? For years we have been forced to sit through the annoying blobs that appear to be our Pokemon when we use HM moves like Surf and Fly. We get used to it after a while, but deep down, who doesn't want to see the actual Pokemon in action? Pokemon X and Y seemed to have taken baby steps towards this direction, with the addition of being able to sit on top of an actual lapras instead of the usual black blob. Riding Skiddo and Gogoat was again, another small step towards what Pokemon could potentially become.

Pokemon has to realise that the people that grew up with Pokemon, specifically those born in the 90s and before the 21st century are getting a lot older now, and in terms of true Pokemon fans, no one is more of a fan than us 90s people. As nostalgic as that may sound, we are in fact growing older, and we need real changes to Pokemon, big ones, so we don't die hoping for a game to come out that lets us see what we're flying and surfing on. Sincerely, everyone.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • I certainly hope this is the beginning of seeing the actual Pokemon you use when using an HM move outside of battle. For now, we can only soar through the sky on Latias/Latios but this could be changed in the future perhaps...

I know it may be impossible for the developers to add anything in the game with each possible Pokemon that will know Dive, Surf, Cut and so on (and to make different animations in-game based on that), but it would be so awesome on the other hand. I was one of those kids who has been playing Pokemon since R/B/Y and pretty much grew up with each game ^_^ How many times I thought to myself when using an HM outside of battle: what is this blob I'm Surfing on? or: My pidgey sure seems like a jetplane pretty much when I use Fly (Gen.5).

How many times I wondered how it would look like to Surf on an actual Blastoise, using Dive with an actual Gyarados or even Fly on my beloved Pidgeot... ;) Though it may seem impossible, I hope we might get to see this one day!

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • One thing about surf though... I cannot imagine your surf pokemon actually getting involved in a battle, considering you're sitting on it. Even worse if it faints.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • I certainly hope this is the beginning of seeing the actual Pokemon you use when using an HM move outside of battle. For now, we can only soar through the sky on Latias/Latios but this could be changed in the future perhaps...
    How many times I wondered how it would look like to Surf on an actual Blastoise, using Dive with an actual Gyarados or even Fly on my beloved Pidgeot... ;) Though it may seem impossible, I hope we might get to see this one day!
    they kinda had the first part in HG/SS where if the Pokemon you were walking with was the one that knew the HM, then it'd use the HM - though based on the latter part of your post I see you mean something different.
    IMO (unpopular opinion?) seems like too much effort for a 'novelty' feature.. I get the diving/surf thing - but flying would just take it too far IMO. Plus, not to mention they'd probably have to reconsider the whole "Pokemon logic" thing they've got going on... "Excuse me whilst I go fly to the Pokemon League *pulls out pocket sized Natu*" like I really don't see that happening (same with surf and dive like Luvdisc?? (idk if it can even learn surf/dive i just made it up for the sake of my point)).
    I can see it more likely to happen with final-stage-evolutionary line Pokemon, since they're usually big enough to support a human, so it wouldn't look as odd in the over world.

One thing about surf though... I cannot imagine your surf pokemon actually getting involved in a battle, considering you're sitting on it. Even worse if it faints.
    This was in X&Y tho.. You could use the Lapras for surfing and it got the unique sprite, and you could still battle with it, and it's sprite would still show up during surf even if it fainted. But I think fainting/HM's have been touched on in one of the games (or all of them??), where a Pokemon will still be able to use the HM even if it's fainted for whatever reasons

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • It might work if they reworked the mechanics for Fly and the Water HMs to consider the size of the 'Mon.

So, while Pidgey could use Fly in battle, you wouldn't be able to hitch a ride until it became a Pidgeot.

And then there's things like Dodrio and Genesect; do we give them unique animations, or prohibit them from flying outside of battle as well?

And then you'd have to account for all the 'mons that can learn HMs and factor that sorta stuff in for all of them.

It's certainly possible.

But would Gamefreak invest that much time and resources for a relatively minor cosmetic upgrade?

Their track record strongly suggests otherwise.

Balancing things out for the meta is always top priority- graphical features like that come fairly low on the list.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • It might work if they reworked the mechanics for Fly and the Water HMs to consider the size of the 'Mon.
    So, while Pidgey could use Fly in battle, you wouldn't be able to hitch a ride until it became a Pidgeot.

This wouldn't work (well it would, but it'd have major problems). Player who use small sized Pokemon who don't evolve on their teams - this basically says to them "lol change your team around or you wont be able to use fly outside of battle" such as Pokemon like delibird, chatot, and whatever else i cant think of. Same with Pokemon that evolve at high levels, like Noibat, it's a small flying type pokemon that can learn fly, which evolves into a decent Pokemon, but evolves at level 48.

same with dive and surf with pokemon like luvdisc/clamperl (if you lack the ability to trade for it to evolve)

Granted, there are very few Pokemon that have that problem, but it's still a plot hole none the less that would create problems.

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    A Pokemon being small is no reason to not do something. In HG and SS they made sprites for every Pokemon and just scaled all of them up / down until they were at a reasonable size.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • This wouldn't work (well it would, but it'd have major problems). Player who use small sized Pokemon who don't evolve on their teams - this basically says to them "lol change your team around or you wont be able to use fly outside of battle" such as Pokemon like delibird, chatot, and whatever else i cant think of. Same with Pokemon that evolve at high levels, like Noibat, it's a small flying type pokemon that can learn fly, which evolves into a decent Pokemon, but evolves at level 48.

same with dive and surf with pokemon like luvdisc/clamperl (if you lack the ability to trade for it to evolve)

Granted, there are very few Pokemon that have that problem, but it's still a plot hole none the less that would create problems.

While that is true, I still think that'd be less of an issue than these situations.

If they don't want to evolve their 'mons, they could just use an HM slave.

Or they could make the HM moves more friggin' useful in battle (besides Surf, the only good battle move).

Or just get rid of the freaking HM system altogether, ferchrissakes.

A Pokemon being small is no reason to not do something. In HG and SS they made sprites for every Pokemon and just scaled all of them up / down until they were at a reasonable size.

I guess that hinges on how much you care about believability.

The normally 1' Pidgey suddenly swelling to 6' in order to haul a trainer around whenever it needed to- and then magically reverting back to its tiny regular form?

Sure.

I get that these are just games. And many players don't give a **** about lore or anything- Stats and Tiers are the only thing worth their time in their eyes, so they can brutalize and dominate the competitive scene.

But then there are those who play games because they love the games and the world that they've created.

Logic fails like the wingless Dodrio learning Fly just kinda stick out like a sore thumb.

Funny, yes.

But also a harsh reminder that- these are just games. When you are aware of the game, then you are also aware of the reality that you are ignoring in favour of this game, and so the experience is rather cheapened.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • If they brought back the follow me feature...THAT would be awesome. I think in one regard they took one step back by removing it. Although, I suppose the 3D graphics as well as now flyable Latios/Latias make up for it in a way.

Still miss it though. L:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • WOW this is amazing! Are we only allowed to land/take off in set locations, however, or is it somewhat like the free-flying in Guardian Signs where we could fly from one island to another but land in set areas on each island? I want to know more :o It looks awesome.

Back