• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Hm, which to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I don't have the game but I do have some questions for people who do! :D

I've recently gotten back into Pokemon, the games for GBA, GBC, GB, etc. and I was wondering if you thought that Pearl/Diamond is better than SoulSilver/HeartGold, and if I were to get one, which should I get?

I was also thinking about saving up for a new DS, as the one I currently have is the one from the FIRST Christmas of their release, making it obviously old and out of date.
    So my options really are DS Lite or DSi and which one do you reccomend and why?

Thanks for your input as it is very much valued(:

SkyAngel

~Perfect Harmony~
    Years
  • it all depends, really. if you have any GBA pokemon games, i'd recommend the DS lite so you can pal park. If you've played the GBC games gold/silver/crystal, and have no sense of nostalgia towards them, then I'd go with the DPPt games. If you do have a feeling of nostalgia for them, tho, then I'd go with HG/SS. its all really up to you, a game that i may love might be a game that you absolutely despise. personally, i love my heart gold version, and as far as pokemon games that have been made in the past ten years go, its my favorite. red/blue/red out-class it though, out of originality at the time and a HUGE sense of nostalgia for them. and i loved my pikachu in yellow version :3 ^.^

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2010
    I like both, but sense it seems youve already played gold/silver I would say Diamond/pearl.

Years
  • Haha yeah I have Yellow too :3
    Cute little Pikachu.

But I have Silver, I just never got into it, because I dun know.
    I just never really got into it.
    But since it's upgraded maybe I'll like it more, and I like Pokemon that I can recongnize.
    Like when I was little I watched the TV show so Fire Red/Leaf Green/Red/Blue/Yellow were all easier because I knew the Pokemon haha :P

SkyAngel

~Perfect Harmony~
    Years
  • makes sense, lol. well, if you want to ease into the new pokemon gradually, you could get hg/ss. the new pokemon show up from time to time in it, so it wouldnt be like jumping feet first into something new. personally, i like jumping into a new pokemon game full of new pokemon and items and adventures. :3

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • It's up to you on which version you wish to get. I've played both DPPt and HG/SS and I can say they're both enjoyable games. Since you're now getting back into the franchise and may not want to be surprised by too many of the newer Pokémon, then perhaps go with HG/SS and then later purchase DPPt. It'll sink you back into it gradually as mentioned above me. As for which hand held to get, you'd probably have to ask yourself, do features like camera, browser, etc matter much to you? Also, if you have any Pokémon GBA games, would you like to migrate Pokémon from there into your DS games? With that, I think you'll find choosing a game much easier.

If you have anymore questions or concerns, please use our HG/SS Help Thread we have stickied above. =]

Jack Kentnon

Derp Trainer
    Years
  • Wellllllll If you don't afraid of anything, I'd say D/P/Pt. Otherwise, HG/SS are pretty awesome.

I'm presonaly in agreance with jumping headfirst in to the great unknown. Makes a Pokemon game more fun IMO.

Lorenzo_Von_Matterhorn

Trainer of Awesome
    Years
  • The Indecisive Solution

I have both a DS Lite (Lime Green) and a DSi (Navy Blue: Black Friday Mario Edition). I suggest you keep your current DS for trading purposes (trading between the GBA versions or trading between the DS Pokemon titles if you have more than one) and get a DSi to be able to take advantage of it's capabilities. At this point I would not suggest purchasing a DSiXL (unless you want the bigger screen) because it's basically the same thing as a DSi with no other advantage than a bigger screen (way to go Captain Redundant!). Another thing to think about is that in about 1 and a half to 2 years time, the 3DS (Nintendo's next generation hand-held Gameboy system) will be coming out. If you can wait that long and if it's backwards compatible with the current hand-held system, it may be more worth your while to get it.

However, as far as games go, I'd suggest Heart Gold or Soul Silver since they are the most current 4th generation Pokemon games out on the market right now. Nintendo is pretty much in full throttle with special events for these games and will continue to be until Pokemon Black and White (5th Generation) come out. But, if you've really got your heart set on the "Sinnoh" experience, I suggest you go with Platinum since it's the most current "Sinnoh" experience. But, if you're like me (who can't hold on to money if you're life depended on it because of an impulse buying problem), I'd say get the whole damn collection. Seeing as how you're on a budget and obviously more sensible than me, I'm sure you'll make the best decision for yourself: Keep your current DS, get the DSi, and either Heart Gold (strongly recommended), Soul silver (strongly recommended), or Platinum (recommended instead of Diamond or Pearl). I hope this has helped you in some way because this would never help me since I'm an indecisive weighing scale... Damn Libra!

On a lighter note! I'm totally moving to Calgary next year because living expenses here in B.C. are totally bull$@^%! Go Calgary! Sucks to Vancouver!

-Lorenzo

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back