• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hmm wondering what next pokemon game i should get. Any ideas?

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2020
    So i recently gotten Omega Ruby, and i want to play through the ones i haven't played yet.

HeartGold/SoulSilver
    Black and White + Bw2
    XY

Which one should i get? i would get em all if i could but ya know that's not possible.

Well i consider heartgold/soulsilver because i love the original adventure of Pokemon back to it roots. I Enjoyed watching Pokemon In the Jhoto region as a child. and playing through jhoto and kanto again is just something i can't miss. The 2 first region of Pokemon bring backs memories and how my love for the series started. Seeing old familiar characters again and the same adventure once more is simply amazing. While it is amazing, i am always out for something new too. I would love new adventures. i know pretty much the whole storyline for heartgold/soulsilver already..... so that's a negative part. but besides that. I would love playing HeartGold/SoulSilver.

I heard rumors that black and white weren't very good. and people were disappointed in it. However i like the way it sequel. A ton of adventures. A storyline i haven't experienced before. New places to explore that i don't know about unlike HeartGold/SoulSilver.

XY. Simply because it has some pokemon u can't get in omega ruby. and that it's new and in 3D. But one thing that doesn't motivate me to buy it as much now is that i heard there isn't much to do post game.

Hmmm

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    I say HeartGold/SoulSilver for sure, they are two of my favorite games ever. I'm actually playing HeartGold this very moment!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Go with HGSS since you already have an idea that you'll enjoy it. However, don't listen to those nasty terrible people that say Black and White are bad. They're fun and still have a decent challenge unlike XY and ORAS (those two are fun, but way too easy), so after you play HGSS, move on up to BW and then the sequel when you can. I suggest for people to actually try BW before listening to everyone say it's bad. Consider that we just got gen VI, so naturally people look back at gen V and think "UGH" because that's what always happens. :P Happened with gen IV during BW/BW2 days as well. So on and so forth.

I will say though, after playing ORAS, you might have a hard time going back to HGSS since it's two generations behind and the mechanics are going to be a little different as well as the graphical style, but honestly, it's such a fun game that I really doubt it will bother you too much once you readjust to it. I've been wanting to replay it myself, actually.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    B/W had an amazing story and a huge leap in graphics from the old HG/SS versions, never played the sequels but id definitely like to.

Years
    I still have mildly difficult times with XY when I don't use the Exp. Share, but that's aside from the point. But a lot of people suggest against them if you already have ORAS, but they do have way more Pokémon to use in the main story. And people have already discussed why Generation V is still worthwhile despite the haters, B2W2 have a lot of Pokémon to use and make a team out of too. If you want good post-game, then that's definitely one to consider, people have talked about HGSS' post-game but that of B2W2 is practically on the same end.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    It really depends on your favorite stuff. Enjoyed Johto so much you're willing to pay $40 for a used copy you'd like to revisit it? Go for HGSS. Like sequels and want something new? Go with BW/2. Like the new graphics and Pokemon Aime most? XY. It also depends on how tough tou're willing to grind levels, how much storyline you enjoy with your game, whether you're attracted to newer aspects or older stuff, etc.

Overall I've played all of them and I would say BW/2. I love storyline and if you use Memory Link with BW2 then your character's name from BW shows up rather than saying 'the trainer from two years ago/nuvema town'. Only thing is, you can't battle him/her liek you can battle Red, so there's that. But everyone has they're own likes, so if you'e truely more interested in one more than the others, go for that one!

*But seriously why are HGSS so expensive compared to White 2's $15 used price??? :0

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2020
    HGSS is so expensive because IT"S A LEGENDARY REMAKE! i think i'ma go with b+b2 for a brand new adventure. and plus, i was excited to play omega ruby but i didn't care for the story because to me it was dull and boring since i been through it before and knew exactly what's gonna happen. i am not sure if is the same for HGSS. but pretty much i just want a new deep storyline right now.

Last edited:
    Years
    ^ A fine choice! I also wasn't too excited for ORAS at first, but I did like that they expanded on the story with characters like Team Magma/Aqua, Brendan/May, Wally and the like. But if you're one that wants storyline, you'll be pleased with Generation V, definitely.

Years
    I think what you should do is go with what most people said and get HG/SS first since it's a great remake of a classic game and from the looks of things you seem to love nostalgia so it's best you start by going down that route. It took the original G/S story but added some elements that were originally only in Crystal into the plot, such as Eusine appearing. There's also the fact you can have any of your Pokemon walk around with you (one of the most praised features of that game to be exact, since that feature got so much love) and you get to explore the whole of Kanto in the postgame like the original 2nd Gen games.

Next up, if you are one who loves the storyline of Pokemon games you should give Black/White a shot since these games had one of the most epic main plots of any Pokemon game. However some stuff I have to warn about is that you can only use the Unova Pokemon before you beat the main story so if you're someone who's still suffering the nostalgia and prefer using the Gen 1-4 stuff then it's best to give this a pass, especially because you might also be into games with a lot of postgame content and while there's a fair bit, it's still pretty shallow. Granted, I do love 5th Gen in general but of the two games I wouldn't recommend this one as much if you're someone who's into huge postgame content or likes using older Pokemon.

Then there's Black 2/White 2, which would be the better choice of the Unova games if you're a postgame content lover, plus the Unova Dex got expanded to include Pokemon from Gens 1-4 so while you'll still have to deal with Unova Pokemon, you will have more familiar Pokemon in here as well, and with the diversity that comes from this you do get loads of solid teambuilding possibilities (not to the degree of X/Y which I'll get to soon, but still pretty good) and while the story isn't as good as B/W it does still take some interesting twists and turns. The Pokemon World Tournament is the biggest selling feature of this game, since you can battle pretty much every single Gym Leader up to this generation, and even that it's still a small speck in an extremely massive postgame. So if you want to play 5th Gen, I'd probably recommend this over B/W for now.

And lastly, X/Y. This game has a huge selection of Pokemon to use even before beating the Elite Four, although as mentioned it still has its negative points according to most players, such as a very shallow postgame and the mechanic changes to the EXP Share are quite drastic since it now affects your whole team at once, and that could risk you getting overleveled if you leave it on too often. However, there's the positives as well, especially the trainer customization which was a feature many have wanted in a main series game (Battle Revolution had customization but I wouldn't count it as a "main" Pokemon game) and with it you're sorta able to make your trainer look more like you as opposed to having to be stuck with a pre-made design like in most games. Do take time to consider X/Y, but if you want a break from 6th Gen you should look at your older gen suggestions first and then after you've played those you can get around to X/Y, especially as it has loads of Pokemon that aren't obtainable in OR/AS.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2020
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Decisions Decisions. i was motivated to get black +b2 from the animated trailer for it. The evil team is so epic. looks like it's going to be a good surprising adventure. but the fact that HGSS is so good remains......! Hmmmm....I'ma just decide.......someday... and don't you need a 5th gen game to port pokemons to 6th gen?. Yeah , get White+White2= Epic adventure+ Unlock a lot of pokemons, i consider white now since omega ruby already has the white legend from bw

Last edited:
    Years
    Hmmmm....I'ma just decide.......someday... and don't you need a 5th gen game to port pokemons to 6th gen?. Yeah , get White+White2= Epic adventure+ Unlock a lot of pokemons, i consider white now since omega ruby already has the white legend from bw

Yes, that's the feature called Pokemon Bank which is a downloadable, yearly subscription app.

That "white legend" you're talking about is Reshiram, so I can clearly see which 5th Gen game you want (although of the original pair you actually catch the opposite legendary dragon, so you'll be getting Zekrom in original White) but after looking at the fact you want epic adventure and something nice and unexpected, I think you should definitely go for both the Unova games.

Having both B/W and B2/W2 also gives you an extra feature to use in the latter called Memory Link (which actually acknowledges your adventure in the original B/W) but only if you have a second DS, since wi-fi for pre-6th Gen was nuked almost a year ago. But even if you can't use Memory Link, you'll definitely enjoy the games nonetheless.

Back