• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Ho-Oh and Lugia

Sapphire Dragon

Let go of the scars that define you.
Years
A friend of mine was over at my house hanging out with me while I was goofing around in the cave with Lugia. I decided it might be fun to soft reset in front of Lugia a few times just for fun, having gotten a strange feeling that told me to do it once I finished the animation of Lugia's encounter. So at about the 9th reset (I was gonna stop at 10), I was looking over at my friend and busy talking with her as I went to talk to Lugia, not expecting anything whatsoever.

Next thing I know I hear that ever so familiar tingle sound upon encounter. Turn to look and there's a pink Lugia staring me in the face.

[awesome picture]

I almost screamed. The disbelief was like no other. I seriously thought my game glitched or something. I have never ever in all my years of shiny hunting had a shiny Pokemon come up that quickly and it was completely unexpected. You bet I caught that sucker, too!

What a great moment that was for me. <3
That really was amazing! Congrats! :)

I liked SS and the animation for Lugia, but something in me wishes that he would've been swimming in the water as per usual, like in the original Silver. It looked kind of flashy to me, and I liked the fact that he was completely in solitude originally, quietly resting in the cave. The addition of the monk right above the stairwell that leads down to the cave, which now has a waterfall coming through it, just seemed too different. Too much noise and too much company.

I'm probably being too picky, but... I just loved the simplicity. XD

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 29, 2014
Heartgold had the better Pokemon, so I ultimately got ho-oh first.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Ho-Oh. Just amazing. The Bell Tower messes with your head, but you'll get the hang of it, and you'll reach the top. And the animation for the Kimono Girl dance and the bells. Just beautiful. Also mentioning when Ho-Oh comes down haha. His battle music is probably the most amazing I've heard, especially with the restrictions DS games held.

Lugia was pretty cool too! It leaps out of the water, if I'm correct? And it's battle theme was more action-like, but it didn't have the same feel for me like Ho-Oh. But it's got a bigger signature place, the Whirl Islands <3~

Raging Umbreon

Pkmn Trainer
Years
I bought Soul Silver so I ended up catching Lugia first.

I Hate the Bell Tower and all those warp panels. Makes it tricky to get all the items.

When I caught Lugia it was with ALOT of Great Ball. It tooks so many soft resets to finaly catch him. I wanted to save my Master Ball for Entei and Raikou.

Eventualy I bought Heart Gold and caught Ho Oh in it as well. Because I'm such a completionist I cought Lugia in H/G and Ho Oh in S/S after I got the Rainbow and Silver Wing in Pewter City.

Years
When I played through Heart Gold a long time ago, Ho-Oh was rather difficult to take, but I caught it and ended up using it on my team. It's a cool event that happens in the story, neat cutscene and rad music too. So yeah, I like it.

But in my Wedlocke, my Quagsire 2HKO'ed it with Waterfall after using Yawn, it didn't use Sunny Day. Wasn't too tough then, but had it used Sunny Day it could've gotten bad.

Years
I have Soul Silver so it was Lugia for me :)

I really liked the whole experience actually - in Silver I wasn't overly keen on the Whirl Islands (basically anything in a cave confused me too much back then lol) so I didn't always make the effort to pursue Lugia, but I really liked how they (the Whirl Islands) looked in Soul Silver, and with the animation of Lugia appearing and the atmosphere created by the Kimono Girls it made the whole experience very special :)

I've still to catch Ho-Oh actually, I might go back and do that what with everyone on here saying how it's worth it when you finally master the Bell Tower lol :)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 5, 2014
I was enjoying Soulsilver, Lugia was the first of the two for viprunescape.com. I remember it was somewhat ok or anti-climatic. Mainly because I just used my Expert Football.I just discover it so frustrating how the activities power you to fulfill them instead of being optionally available in like in the unique activities. I don't use the "banned" legendaries on my groups and want to catch them after I've defeated the tale method.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
I had HeartGold, and i agree that Ho-Oh was a difficult catch. Took me about 50 Ultra balls, then a timer ball. The music is really good though. The Ho-Oh battle music is still one of my favorite Legendary battle themes.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't remember Ho-Oh being that hard to catch, but it wasn't significantly easy so I guess maybe like 20 Ultra Balls? I don't even consider that difficult considering it took me 99+ on Emerald to get Rayquaza :P

I played SoulSilver later and I really dislike Whirl Islands, only just because I had cave areas not for any real reason haha. The area Lugia is in is pretty cool though.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
Ho-Oh was tons of fun to encounter because it's my favorite legendary overall and the battle music is phenomenal.

Years
I caught Lugia first because I had Pokemon Soul Silver first. Let me tell you, I found it insanely hard to navigate through the Whirl Islands. I was probably trying to get to Lugia for a whole hour. Wish it was a little easier to be honest, but it's worth it in the end because I was able to get to Lugia. I also liked how Lugia was near a waterfall, it looks really cool to be honest. Looked really soothing, and my favorite color is blue. I'm a fan of the theme that Lugia has in these games, it's really intense, which is what I like. It was particularly easy to catch Lugia for the first time, only because I used a Master Ball. On my second play though, I did use something other than that, and it wasn't the hardest thing to get, but not the easiest either. I'm not sure how many Dusk Balls I went through, but I'm pretty sure it was around 30. I like Lugia over Ho-oh, but that's just my biased opinion.

Before I talk about my encounter with Ho-oh, I really like the outside of the tower. It's colorful and filled with Autumn leaves, it's really pretty.

I was able to reach Ho-oh a lot easier than Lugia. The tower was actually a lot easier to navigate through. Getting up to Ho-oh, the scenery was still really nice. Ho-oh's battle theme is the better of the two in this round of Ho-oh vs. Lugia. The Japanese style suits Ho-oh just too well. Like Lugia, I used my Master Ball the first time I played through Pokemon Heart Gold, so I can't really say it was difficult. Second play-through though was very easy. I used one Quick Ball and I caught it. It was amazing to have the feeling of catching a legendary in a Quick Ball, I have no clue why.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
Years
Lugia is much more easier to get.. Getting into the Bell Tower makes my brain twitch..i already caught Ho-Oh in another version so i don't need tiring myself getting into the bell tower..

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
In playing through HeartGold a couple times, I didn't find either too hard to catch, I think I only had to reset maybe once total. They just didn't give me such a hard time. Guess I got lucky :D

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Ho-oh for nostalgic reasons. I played Gold as a kid and bought HeartGold so definitely Ho-Oh. Lugia is still pretty badass too, though.

Years
Update: I eventually did go back to catch Ho-Oh, but I was SO over-prepared it wasn't even funny lol xD I went in armed with 70 Dusk Balls and 82 Ultra Balls cause I'd never attempted to catch a level 70 Pokémon before and didn't know what to expect, especially considering the nightmare that the legendary birds gave me.

Anyways, it took a grand total... of 5 Dusk Balls
17.%20disbelief.gif
I couldn't believe it lol I'd had to face the Elite Four more times than I care to remember with an Amulet Coin to afford all those pokéballs lol xD

dragon__tamer

the elder of dragon's den
Years
i have played soul silver because i like lugia a lot
because its like cool and like a cool dragon:)

Kelton2

Yes, That One
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2015
I actually got HG because I didn't know you could get both in each version and I like Ho-Oh a lot better (then again I like Kyogre over Groudon and Xaernas over Yvetal)
so I got Ho-Oh first.

Back