• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Ho-oh - Cursed throughout generations. Also, the returning Plat. sprites.

~Frozen Darkness~

It's watching you...
Years
  • Serebii now has the new Ho-oh sprite.

I feel bad for the bird. In every sprite it had excluding Silver, its wings are in that weird position. When will it not have that? It just makes all of Ho-oh's sprites look the same, except for different leg positions.

Also, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina's sprites were shown. Its such a shame that Nintendo just took sprites from Platinum instead of making new sprites. Your thoughts on Ho-oh and the Plat. sprites' returning?

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Platinum sprites make sense. No need to remake all 210 Pokemon yet again. Only ones that would change are the ones of the Kanto/Johto evolution expansion lines.

Years
  • I actually liked some of the Platinum sprites for the Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon. I don't mind if they use the same sprites as long as the Kanto and Johto pokes were remade. Ho-oh's sprite was kind of a disappointment, but it still looks nice. (Have you noticed that the back sprites of the starters still look the same as DPPt's?) They probably wanted to keep that "Heart" look for Ho-oh. I like how they made its overworld and the background behind it on top of Tin Tower. (I really like those Ho-oh statues.) There's nothing I can do about it so I won't complain.

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
  • (Have you noticed that the back sprites of the starters still look the same as DPPt's?)

Yeah, they're pretty close but the design is a bit different. It might just be me, but there seems to more color in the sprites. That and I took a look Feraligatr's d/p/pt and HG/SS sprites and theres a small difference, but it counts.

Ayselipera

I won't even be using Hoenn or Sinnoh pokemon in the remakes so I don't care if they keep the same sprites for those pokemon.

Years
  • Yeah, they're pretty close but the design is a bit different. It might just be me, but there seems to more color in the sprites. That and I took a look Feraligatr's d/p/pt and HG/SS sprites and theres a small difference, but it counts.

(Not to be misread, but I liked the back sprites from DPPt.) It looked as if they looked the same, but now I can tell the difference. Also, I think the animations are different this time. I like the front sprite for Feraligatr. It looks cool like its artwork. I don't mind having the Sinnoh and Hoenn pokemon having the same sprites as Platinum's because it's better than some of Diamond and Pearl's sprites of them. (For example, Glameow, Stunky, Purugly, etc.)

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
  • It's fine with me if they don't want to remake ALL the sprites. They can leave some of the Sinnoh and Hoenn sprites the same, I suppose. And I liked the Platinum sprites, too. I would like to see the Kanto and Johto pokemon sprites remade a little, though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2024
    I've always liked Ho-oh (though his face always looks angry) but I agree that they really need to make a new pose for it, mhmm...

Last edited:

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm 100% sure that all 251 Kanto and Johto Pokemon will get new sprites

27 Hoenn Pokemon got new Sprites in Platinum(The ones in the Sinnoh dex), as did all 107 Sinnoh Pokemon

So, we'll most likely see:

-251 Completely new Sprites
    -134 Platinum Sprites
    -108 Diamond and Pearl Sprites (The remaining Hoenn Pokemon)

GodofPH

Submarket Zydrate Dealer
    Years
  • That's surprising Ho-oh, as a version mascot, doesn't get a new sprite, but I like the Platinum sprites anyways, so it's all good.

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    I don't like the Ho-Oh one that much..
    It's wings look, weird.

The Dialga and Palkia ones look, almost, exactly, the same.

TeddiursaFan

is a TeddiursaFan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2013
    The wings are up like last time, which shows a lack of creativity. Though, I'm pleased that they changed the legs and the other parts. If you've seen the other Ho-oh sprites, then you should know that the only Ho-oh sprite that doesn't have the wings up is the one for siver. Maybe GameFreak is satisfied with Ho-oh facing towards you with the wings up or they had trouble reposing it. Though, I agree with Gymleaderlily about how cool the background of the top of Tin Tower looks like.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I've always liked Johto (though his face always looks angry) but I agree that they really need to make a new pose for it, mhmm...

Do you think he's a pretty cool guy, too? ;P

At any rate, I like the new sprites, and it's ok if they just rip the platinum ones. most won't make much a difference anyway. The only ones people will really gripe about will be the local 'Dex ones, and maybe some others. Ho-Oh's was always weird to me, it's not really worse now.

billi1000

The Ruler of Darkness - Zekrom
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    every pokemon in the Johto Dex will have a new sprite, and the rest will simply have their old platinum sprites which is the same case in platinum were the pokemon not in the platinum dex had their DP sprites, so it was pretty much expected... and for the ho-oh thing, i think its an anime thing why its sprite is always in that pose, but ya i do agree i did get board of that pose and would like to see another :P...

Red

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Let's see...
    fa250.png
    hooh2.png

The main change seems to be with the legs, like previously mentioned. However, the head is lower and the tail is raised to about body height.

mewunlimited

is yet to be discovered
    Years
  • Let's see...
    fa250.png
    hooh2.png

The main change seems to be with the legs, like previously mentioned. However, the head is lower and the tail is raised to about body height.

And ho-oh`s body is now a proper red (YAHOO!!!).
    There is nothing wrong with ho-oh`s pose. It has been like that because..
    1 - It looks sacred which is the main idea around ho-oh
    2 - It is the only way to fit it inside the sprite frame and still look cool

Back