• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hoenn's Older Pokémon

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
  • Hoenn's regional Pokédex contains 202 Pokémon, with 135 of the Pokémon being released in Generation III, it also contained 67 Pokémon from previous games. Were the select Pokémon from older generations the right choices for the Hoenn Pokédex? Were there more deserving Pokémon? Did there need to be more Pokémon in the regional Pokédex? Are there any other thoughts you have regarding the older generation Pokémon in Hoenn's Pokédex?

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • To an extent. I would have prefered a mixture of Kanto and Johto pokemon rather than just Kanto pokemon, and yes I know Johto pokemon are available in the Safari zone, but this is only available after the Elite Four is defeated.

I would much rather do the gym leaders with the Johto pokemon rather than grinding them up levels via the Elite Four.

Years
  • I feel like Johto is always excluded for some reason. I mean you have to have the Geodudes, Zubats and Magikarps, whereas there's only like Marill from Johto. But overall I think it was a good balance between new and old for Hoenn. Personally I like B/W with all new Pokemon, but it works either way.

Flute

Full-time loser
    Years
  • I think you should have had the ability to go to Jhoto, as opposed to just having certain pokemon from there in the Safari Zone. Maybe only after the E4, but you should be able to go back there somehow.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • Replying to myself.

I personally think some of the Pokémon in the Hoenn Pokédex probably didn't need to be there. These are mainly the Pokémon found in the Safari Zone. Houndour should probably have been included because a Fire/Dark type would've went well with Team Magma. There also could've been more Water types because of the large amount of water in Hoenn. I think the Pokédex needed to be bigger in general, as Hoenn is such a big region. There should've also been some more Ice, Ghost, etc types available so that the Elite 4 could have teams with all different Pokémon.

Years
  • [SIZE="a"]Well I think the Pokemon from johto are always left out. Their should be an equal balance between the jhoto and Kanto pokemon in the main story line so you may use them when battling the gym leaders,trainers, your rival.[/SIZE]

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The Zubat and Geodude lines appearing in R/S/E did make sense because of the caves everywhere. The same would apply to the Magikarp and Tentacool lines in water routes.

Personally, I think they should've added the Cleffa line to R/S/E because of Meteor Falls having a connection to the moon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I agree Houndour should have been part of the main dex, not the post-game Emerald dex. Though for the most part, I think they had the right Pokemon for the environment in Hoenn. Plenty of tropical Pokemon and beach Pokemon, like Tropius, Bellossom, Wingull/Pelipper, the available Water types. And even the mountain regions had good fitting choices, like Numel, Machop, and Torkoal. So for the most part, I think they did well, but there's a few more Pokemon I wish they had added.

Back