• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Homeschooling

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2012
    Cross-over homeschooling with the social cognitive theory and you'll notice the minimal amount of people a pupil interacts with decreases his insight and knowledge in various situations. You're exposed to the ideals and opinions of a lot of people when you're in an open and collective environment, and the more perspectives you experience, the better it is for your own development as a person.

Concerning academic ability, I think it's purely circumstantial and depends solely on the individuals who dissipate the lessons and the maturing intellect of the pupil. There's plenty of cases where people much younger than me had passed their senior exams at about 12 or 13, where the norm is 16/17. And others where they have remained handicapped in the educational department for most of their time in the system.

HoopyFrood

Designated Robo-Hipster
    Years
  • Cross-over homeschooling with the social cognitive theory and you'll notice the minimal amount of people a pupil interacts with decreases his insight and knowledge in various situations. You're exposed to the ideals and opinions of a lot of people when you're in an open and collective environment, and the more perspectives you experience, the better it is for your own development as a person.

Concerning academic ability, I think it's purely circumstantial and depends solely on the individuals who dissipate the lessons and the maturing intellect of the pupil. There's plenty of cases where people much younger than me had passed their senior exams at about 12 or 13, where the norm is 16/17. And others where they have remained handicapped in the educational department for most of their time in the system.

Man if I talked like you the women would love me.

Also hit the nail on the head here.

Years
  • Cross-over homeschooling with the social cognitive theory and you'll notice the minimal amount of people a pupil interacts with decreases his insight and knowledge in various situations. You're exposed to the ideals and opinions of a lot of people when you're in an open and collective environment, and the more perspectives you experience, the better it is for your own development as a person.

This, essentially. Schooling does far more for a child than just teaching them how to count to 10 or how to color inside the lines.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    "Social interaction"? What a joke. Even someone like me with Schizoid traits could easily fit into social situations.

Cross-over homeschooling with the social cognitive theory and you'll notice the minimal amount of people a pupil interacts with decreases his insight and knowledge in various situations. You're exposed to the ideals and opinions of a lot of people when you're in an open and collective environment, and the more perspectives you experience, the better it is for your own development as a person.

What are those "various situations"?

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • I was homeschooled for the first half of 1st grade because I had selective mutism and being around all those kids would have made me to anxious. It was really bad when I did start going to normal school. But HELL am I glad I went, as I later got over it a lot. Then I did homeschooling again for a bit in grade 9, but went back because I missed my friends, and again lost more of my anxiety and got better social skills. I then dropped out after year 10, to do a vet nursing course, but I still see friends, meet people through them, and I work as well. For someone like me, school was sort of what I needed to get over my anxiety. I don't think I would be able to make it in the real world if I had done homeschooling, because of my issues. Other kids are a different story.

A err, more 'normal' child could do homeschooling, and come out both smart and educated (which isn't much of a problem in homeschooling) and not socially awkward. It just depends how you do it. If you just do the homeschooling, they aren't likely to be very good in social situations. If you take them to homeschooling groups, encourage them to join different sports, clubs etc. they will make friends and be fine. Lots of the homeschooling kids I met in 1st grade were fine, the young ones that I was meant to be friends with, as well as their older siblings. But like I said, I myself had way to many issues and was not going to make friends that way. Actual school made me go WAY out of my comfort zone, but in the end has helped me so much.

For most kids, and if they actually want to do it (as many want to go to school) I'm all for homeschooling, as lone as you actively try to get them to meet up with other homeschoolers, take them to new clubs etc.
    On the actual education side I think it's a lot more effective then normal school. Normal school is not for everyone. Homeschooling is not for everyone. Nobody should be looked down for picking either to educate their children with.

Years
  • I have no problem with homeschooling if it's a practical solution to some problem (living really far from town, bullying and harassment, etc.), but I think of it kind of like a crutch for some kids. They don't learn how to deal with, for instance, a classroom setting, which is in a lot of ways very similar to a work setting with schedules, co-workers/classmates, etc. I don't see homeschooling as challenging as public schooling, and sometimes challenges are what you need in order to grow and learn.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2013
    i think home schooling is pretty bad, cause you dont have contact with other people and cant have the same advantages/disadvantages then other pupils its pretty unfair.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2012
    I guess it depends on the child's situation. I still agree in home schooling coz it can help the child to be more concentrate in his/her studies. It will just make him/her bored a lot coz he cant have a lot of friends to talk to and have fun every break time.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • I feel it depends on the teacher. If homeschooling is done by an adept teacher, it is far superior to public schools (although private schools may be a different story). The parents know better than a school teacher how to teach, the child is more likely to listen, more flexibility, a lot more potential for advanced learning, and usually a greater variety of subjects are studied.

Some of the downsides I have seen are that the teacher may not be the best, there is sometimes a lack of drive if there is no formal schedule (but still more often than not the child learns better anyways), and the social development can be severely handicapped if one is not careful.

For instance, some of my family was home-schooled, others went to public school, and the home-schooled are more intelligent than average, and less likely to get into trouble with drugs, promiscuity, alcohol, etc. Simply fact. But a number of us home-schooled struggle socially. However, my youngest brother was able to enjoy the superior education of home-schooling, and became very involved with a few hobbies to supplement the social aspect. I would say my youngest brother had the greatest experience out of our family.

So, if you have a competent teacher and an outlet for social interaction, I would overwhelmingly recommend it.

Back