• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Horde Encounters

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    What Pokemon was your first Horde Encounter? And what do you think about hordes in general for that matter?

My first horde was a Gulpin horde. They were all at level 5 and easy to beat with my Lucario haha. I think Horde Encounters are an interesting concept. Well the ones I've ran into were weak low leveled Pokemon, I can see them being useful for level grinding or EV training. Plus I think it's exciting to run into one at random. :D

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I have absolutely no idea what my first horde encounter was. It wasn't a particularly memorable experience.

That said, I'm not a fan of them outside of EV training and whatnot. Trying to fight them all one at a time without a full coverage move like surf is tedious.

Years
    My first one was probably a Gulpin horde on Route 5. While the Pokemon may be weak it does at least give more reason to sometimes have a move that hits multiple targets on hand if you want to take them all out at once. If you knock all the Pokemon out in one shot you do get a good amount of EXP plus it's handy for EV training as well.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Hordes are a pain early on because it's rare that you'll have a Pokémon with a move that hits multiple targets.

Some Pokémon in hordes have hidden abilities... Hard to know which unless you use a Pokémon with Trace.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    it's just really annoying that you can't catch anything until you're down to one, especially if it's a mixed hoard and you only want the one. I have that with 4 plusels and one minun and i only needed the minun.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I have absolutely no idea what my first horde encounter was. It wasn't a particularly memorable experience.

That said, I'm not a fan of them outside of EV training and whatnot. Trying to fight them all one at a time without a full coverage move like surf is tedious.

I agree, they are SO tedious! I don't find them a challenge or unique, jut a great big long delay between moves.

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
    I think they'd be hilarious if you could use 5 Pokémon against the horde of 5.

my first was plusle and minun. Absolute PITA as nothing had group killing move and kept getting paralysed! :(

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Not exactly sure, but I think it might've been a Hoppip horde in Route 7. Either that, or it could have been Gulpin horde, just like Hikamaru. I did have a hard time going up against it, though; wasn't prepared for it at all. What do I think about horde battles? In my opinion, they're great—they make EV training ten-times easier. If you don't have powerful attacks though, they could end up frustrating you. d:

Years
    Scraggy horde! I was so excited but then realized how slow the battles went, especially if they have abilities that activate in battle + attack animations. It wasn't very fun to take four of them out to catch the fifth. :(

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The first Pokemon horde I ran into was Scraggy. They were hard to take out because they spammed Sand-Attack to make attacks more likely to miss, Leer to soften up defenses and Low Kick to slowly wear down.

Years
    I think mine was a horde of Scraggy. One of them had Intimidate, and sadly I killed the one that did since it was unclear as to which ones had what. Also, it was very annoying what with them using Sand-Attack and Leer. I used to hate horde battles with a passion until I realized they're made much simpler with moves like Surf, Earthquake and Dazzling Gleam.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    My first horde encounter was against a bunch of plusle and minun. I think it's a good concept. It's a lot like what you run into in traditional RPG's like Final Fantasy, so it was nothing new for me :P It's just pretty annoying when you want to catch one, so you have to KO all the rest.

I was lucky enough to get an HA Scraggy from a horde encounter fairly early in the game, so that was pretty good :)

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
    Early on, my Vivillon ended up being a lifesaver- since it with Struggle Bug was the only multi-target move I had.

By due circumstance- she and my Vespiquen (my go-to for Sky Battles with her Power Gem) ended up being on my main team pretty much up until Laverre.

Bugs have been very good to me this game, for some reason.

Years
    Early on, my Vivillon ended up being a lifesaver- since it with Struggle Bug was the only multi-target move I had.

By due circumstance- she and my Vespiquen (my go-to for Sky Battles with her Power Gem) ended up being on my main team pretty much up until Laverre.

Bugs have been very good to me this game, for some reason.

I know what you mean, because I used a Vivillon (a River Pattern one specifically since that's the one my region gets) and he was like destroying everything with Struggle Bug early on. The move was buffed to 50 base power this generation but its got pretty good Speed and Special Attack which makes it quite a handy Pokemon to use early.

He also breezed through hordes easily thanks to Struggle Bug.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Oh man, I can't even remember D: Probably Gulpin though, lol.

I use hordes for EV training (and playing my chances with shinies, dat multitasking) and I just caught a Swirlix to evolve into Slurpuff for my 'horde' Pokemon. Taught her Sweet Scent, Dazzling Gleam, Surf, and Draining Kiss to make her the ideal Pokemon to take on hordes. Works great when I EV train with the Exp. Share, too.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2015
    I don't really recall my first horde I naturally encountered, but I was using sweet scent EV training to prepare a tad for the elite 4. And the very first horde had a shiny vanillite in it. :D

Years
    My first horde encounter was fairly early in the game. I believe it was Whismur, which apparently is the lowest level Pokemon that comes in groups. With the inclusion of hordes, it threw my whole plan of trying to catch all available Pokemon up to a certain point off ;__; So I gave up on that and now I just want to finish the game!

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    First horde I have no idea. I like that they have HA available and increased Shiny chances. Sometimes the HA hunting is a pain though. You have to faint 4 before you can even check their Ability with Trace. You may choose the wrong Pokémon to leave or the HA may not even be in the horde. This is especially hard when hunting Male only Tauros. Usually I only care about Females with HA so I faint all Males first. Can't be done on Male only.

On the up side, I got a Shiny Gligar from a horde which I traded for a JPN Kyurem with 6IV and Naive nature which is perfect for Kyurem-B.

Back