• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Hordes - Your Thoughts [Discussion]

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I hope I get to see that. Where do you first encounter these species?
    Route 8. I heard about the Zangoose/Seviper hordes before I encountered them myself, but I was still amazed at how the four Seviper attacked the Zangoose without even caring about my Pokemon. Which was kind of upsetting because I wanted to catch Zangoose instead of Seviper.

Hordes can be rather difficult if you're not prepared for them. A horde of Roggenrola in Reflection Cave nearly wiped my team. The Roggenrola all used Sand-Attack on my Frogadier to lower his accuracy and then Headbutt to make him flinch. He was my only Pokemon strong against them, and fortunately I managed to escape with little damage.

On the other hand, when you are prepared for hordes, they're easy. Nothing is more amusing than running across a horde of Wingull with a Dedenne who knows Parabolic Charge. Those Wingull never stood a chance.

If hordes have a Pokemon with the Hidden Ability in them...Sheer Force Nidoking, you are mine.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I've not encountered hordes as much as I would've liked. Where can one acquire more honey? I expect that outdoors they can be encountered in flowery grass, but I'd most like to attract them in caves.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    The only usefulness I see in hordes is for shinies, since it's five encounters as once, which happened to me with Mime Jr. Rest of the time I run away though, because they're a hassle and ridiculously low-leveled.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Very annoying. They are good for hunting shinies, but 5 on 1 is still annoying if your only a few levels above them. They hit low, but geez 5 attacks stacks up.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    Would be a lot more useful if you could catch them all. Come on, Game Freak, my aim isn't that bad.

Toast1229

Explorer Scholar Gentleman
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2014
    I have done my research on hordes (mainly just messing about where hordes of pokemon roam) and I have discovered that a horde of pokemon are usually half the level of singular pokemon in the area, and that there can be different species of pokemon in a horde that can (and in my case with a horde of 2 sevipers and 3 zangooses) and most of the time will attack eachother.

UPDATE:
    Thought hordes were nice, ran into a horde of wobbuffet in the glittering cave. My worst nightmare, took down my whole team.
    Also has anyone thought that each pokemon has a certain value or chance of being in a horde. Because the only time i have ever run into gulpin is in a horde.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't really like them at all. They're annoying because five Pokémon can gang up on you with stuff like Sand-Attack, Confuse Ray or such. They just take forever. If it wasn't 5-on-1 maybe they wouldn't be as bad for me, but overall I don't find them fun. I did get my Crobat evolved from a Zubat that was in one, though. :P

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Also has anyone thought that each pokemon has a certain value or chance of being in a horde. Because the only time i have ever run into gulpin is in a horde.
    On Route 5, I saw a few lone Gulpins at normal levels.

Also on Route 5, I'd once seen a Plusle horde with a single Minun but never gave a thought to catching either, thinking I'll get my chance later, and two-shotted the horde with Incinerate. I did find some stray Plusles later and caught one of those; however, Minun never showed up and, I think, is horde-exclusive.

A second electric horde finally showed up today. I had Nincada (Lv.18) leading, and the large number of moves lowering attack (they know two moves to lower Attack, one being the new move "Play Nice"), plus the fact that Nincada couldn't one-shot them to begin with, it took a while to defeat them. They had no actual attacks, so I leisurely lowered Minun into the yellow then took out the four Plusle before capturing my Minun. :)

Last edited:
    Back