• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HOTM NOTICE- EVERYBODY LOOKIE HERE!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
  • Here's how it's gonna work out: Everyone votes for Hack of the Quarter like what Hack of the Month does, then whichever hack wins Hack of the Quarter will be one of the top 4 ROM hacks up for Hack of the Year. Once Hack of the Year comes around, everyone votes for the 4 different ROM hacks that have won HotQ, and it works in the same way as HotY except there's only four hacks that will compete in it, which are the ones that have won HotQ, from there... one of the ROM Hacks will be voted upon the PC members judging on the graphics, music, storyline, maps, scripts and gameplay, but there's another difference; you can vote for the same hack in each catergory. But as for HotQ, you can only vote one per catergory. That is because in HotY, there'll only be four hacks in there, you can't vote one per catergory, can you? Because it's virtually impossible. xD And that is pretty much about all of the suggestions and helpfullness I can think of.
    This is exactly what I have been thinking about and what I kinda tried to explain in my first post here :)
    But I'd leave the system as it is now. By that I mean moderator's votes and points for each hack =)
    We could make it like this:
    1st round would be "fan" round. In other words we, hackers, would vote for hacks just like you mentioned in your post =) In each category etc... =)
    And the winning hacks would obtain fan prize =)
    But then there'd be the second round in which moderators or famous hackers would vote for all four hacks in each category (graphics, appeal, etc...) and from this voting the true Hack of the Year would come of =)

I see your side too... But it shouldn't be forced, maybe optional, but at least an option to be taught. Because right now new hackers have to read through many tutorials and watch poor videos on YouTube to learn, don't you think that we should give the option to people that they can be taught different aspects of hacking? Just my opinion though.
    Yeah, that's a good way =)
    This really might help and if reading complicated and boring tutorials were to disappear that would surely bring more people to hacking =)

Masou Shoujo Haruna

Don't touch me, I'm sterile
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2011

Well, I like your way of explaining it :D then instead of unofficial hotw, we could have an unofficial hotm :D

yes to this, instead of removing the HotM entirely change it to something like a newcomer's award.
    It'll have an elimination phase like every new entry in the progressing hacks shall be judge by the mods (judging criteria must be more strict than usual) and a few more added criteria like it must be at least 2-3weeks old, has released a 2-3 hour long(excluding the grinding) bug-less beta/alpha and showing decent amount of progress etc. (these are just examples)

Those that pass the elimination will be put in a queue and will be put in observation until 2 more hacks pass the elimination(inactivity on the hack's progress will cause it to lose eligibility to join in the newcomer's battle but will still be elgible to join the HotY judging). Once 3 hack entries pass the elimination the true judging begins where the winner gets the newcomer's award.
    (kinda like a stricter HotM except no monthly required contests)

Also keep HotY and add up a few special mention awards like best in graphics, most engaging storyline, most innovative features etc. newcomer's winner/s and forfeited entries, previous HotM (those that have updated their hack this year) and HotY winners(all of the previous HotY winners except last year's winner that had updated their hack this year) will be entitled to join HotY's judging

Last edited:

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
    Years
  • yes to this, instead of removing the HotM entirely change it to something like a newcomer's award.
    It'll have an elimination phase like every new entry in the progressing hacks shall be judge by the mods (judging criteria must be more strict than usual) and a few more added criteria like it must be at least 2-3weeks old, has released a 2-3 hour long(excluding the grinding) bug-less beta/alpha and showing decent amount of progress etc. (these are just examples)

Those that pass the elimination will be put in a queue and will be put in observation until 2 more hacks pass the elimination(inactivity on the hack's progress will cause it to lose eligibility to join in the newcomer's battle but will still be elgible to join the HotY judging). Once 3 hack entries pass the elimination the true judging begins where the winner gets the newcomer's award.
    (kinda like a stricter HotM except no monthly required contests)

Also keep HotY and add up a few special mention awards like best in graphics, most engaging storyline, most innovative features etc. newcomer's winner/s and forfeited entries, previous HotM (those that have updated their hack this year) and HotY winners(all of the previous HotY winners except last year's winner that had updated their hack this year) will be entitled to join HotY's judging

I also like the idea of different awards. But instead of it all being part of PCs hoty, why not have diff award hints, a mod ran and a user ran one that each take place at the same times with different rules and awards? Nice to switch it up and have two chances.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2011
    When deciding, you should consider not only the quality/stuff the game posseses, but how "active" its developer is. For gamers (even casual players), it may be annoying if a game/program isn't updated for a long time.

BTW i think Pokemon SnakeWood version deserves this. I was going to approve of Sienna but it has already won too many awards :P

M.L

Invisible
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2017
    haha i agree it must change i say you use your sticky idea every month or so vut people like to be proud of a hack because they work hard on it put effort and time... i say maybe twice or once a year a hack with outstanding scripts graphics overall is chosen for an award so this way only really progressing hacks (great) may get iit and it wont be often i meen one or 2 times a year that like 6 months to prepare or even 11 months to prepare for it and by then im sure there will be some outstanding hacks

but as it goes the stickied idea is still good

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • So what about it, mods? :)
    You've got yourselves some cool ideas that can be used :D
    I think we won't think of anything better or different.
    So what about mods say something about what they think of said ideas :)

Years
  • Here's what I think:

The idea of awards is that it's based on how well you do, not whether or not you've already gotten one or not. I've noticed that a handful of people have only one HotM award (I could be mistaken, though). It might seem unfair at first, but instead of completely snuffing out the idea of awards due to the lack of recently good hacks, here's my idea:
    A person can get more than one award for a single hack, however, after their first Hack of the [enter time-span here], it's about a constant progress that makes the game just feel better and more complete, even if it isn't complete yet. That way, people won't just think "AWARDSAWARDSAWARDS" and just make a (noobish) hack and hope for the best, once people get their award(s) (if any), they can still get the same reward again, but they have to work for it. I also don't think remakes shouldn't get Hot[time-span] awards because they're older games with newer graphics, or newer games with older graphics. It just doesn't seem right that someone can read a walkthrough and make a GBA version of a separate game. But that's just IMO.

That being said, I agree with the HotQ idea, including the HotY being edited for it, but with a change(?). For example, you can get more than one HotQ award, but only one per year, that way nobody gets cheated out on the HotY awards and someone else could get a HotQ award later that year, so that there is competition. But someone can have limited HotY awards (hey, news gets old). That way it's less based on whether or not someone has [enter award here] and more on the quality of the game. I do see a problem with my idea though. If, say, my ideas get accepted (which I doubt), and someone gets whatever the mods decide is the limit for an award, a person who gets that many of that award would practically get dumped. Either it's a "deal with it" situation, or there has to be some other "award" (quoted because it may or may not be another award, but something that makes the person feel better about themselves as they fade out of the news) kinda thing. Either way, these are just my opinions.

TL;DR: Someone can have a set number of different awards, so that it's based on a good hack and effort and not whether or not someone has that reward. Also, HotQ. And to the mods, regardless of what you choose to do, good luck! My hack is nowhere near getting chosen so X3 I don't care about that, I'm just trying to help.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    arceus123456 said:
    When deciding, you should consider not only the quality/stuff the game posseses, but how "active" its developer is. For gamers (even casual players), it may be annoying if a game/program isn't updated for a long time.

I basically agree with this post. It seems to me that progression of the hack (regular updates etc...) needs to be shown in order for it to win anything...

The dedication of the hacker to their hack is important.

Years
  • Don't just leave HotY. That definately should not happen. It would de-motivate a lot of people from actually making their own hack for reasons that I think most people will understand if they think about it. HotY, the only competition, will become something only worth competing in if you're an elite. New hackers will not be bothered making a great-quality hack due to that, thinking they have no chance of winning. Also people might get bored after 10 months or so and just give up before HotY.

Summary: Don't just have HotY because less people will make hacks.

Everything has pretty much been said... I'd agree with the concept of putting HoTM to rest for the time being.
    Though I like the Darthatron's idea of having 4 Hack of the Quarter and then the victors could compete in HoTY with one or two wild cards to some exceptionally great hacks that did not win HoTQ.

I think this is the best idea so far. Have the 4 victors of the 4 HotQ nominated for HotY, plus another hack that didn't win a HotQ for whatever reason, that seems to be liked by most people (the criteria should be something around 95% of people liked it, but it might not have won HotQ for the simple reason that another hack was liked better by people). That, although, means that HotY would have to take place around 2 weeks after the fourth HotQ, but the next HotQ shouldn't be delayed by 2 weeks, because It wouldn't matter anyway.

Summary: Have 4 hacks that won HotQ and another hack that is cool but hasn't won HotQ for whatever reason participate in HotY.

If we forced them to undergo some training program I don't think everyone would like that and I'm sure not everyone would complete it and they'd probably lose motivation due to that.
    However I agree with you. This is just my point of view.

We should definitely do that. No, not the forcing part. The training part. You won't have to come out with a certificate from the training program.
    Some ideas for the training program:
    Have someone who has time and can hack write a 10 part video tutorial, which will basically introduce you to hacking. Each video should be 4 or 5 mins at maximum, and should have someone talking because following a voice is easier. No funny accents please, some people can't understand them (not trying to offend anyone, sorry if I did). Also hackers with potential should get assigned with a "mentor", who is an experienced and a great hacker, or even a PC mod (also is social and can communicate with people lol). The mentor should help the new hacker excel his skill beyond what the tutorial covers. The mentor should add the new hacker in an Instant Messaging service for ease of communication e.g. Skype (Preferably) - not trying to advertise :P

Summary: Have some one make a 10 part video tutorial introducing people to hacking. The videos should be made straight forward, 4 or 5 minutes at maximum, easy to understand or well explained and with someone actually explaining it to you (by talking or writing, as long as it's easy to follow). After the 10 part video tutorial, a hacker should try to make his own hack, post it in the forum and if the hacker is shown to have potential, he/she should be assigned to a "mentor" who would help the hacker gain further hacking skills.

Liquid Twilight

Super Geek
    Years
  • I love the idea of HOTQ instead of hack of the month.

I had a couple of ideas too, how about introducing more categories, such as best graphics hack and best storyline. That way a single hack will not always win and more hacks will be rewarded.

With the previous point in mind you could also introduce an achievement system on the persons profile which enables the used to be rewarded an achievement based on what they bring to the community and how good their hacks are.

Lastly, how about different ranks of HOTQ / HOTY. Have a beginners cup for people who have no previous awards and move up the ranks as you gain achievements / awards. The cup names could come from the names of the cups in Pokemon Stadium / 2 / PBR.

TL;DR: More categories within the hacking spotlight. Introduce forum achievements that others can see based on community and hack. Have hacking ranks which reward both hacking newbies and hacking pros.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2017
    Of course you'll run out of hacks? They are a bout fifty honours each month. How about
    a straight out fan favourite and Overall Favourite!

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • I noticed you guys were running out of hacks to choose from over the last few months when I saw my hack one month and then saw Light (which was only posted about a week before it was in hotm) the next. 2011 imo has not had many good hacks yet. I'd go with the idea in the OP. You, Colcol, and maybe a couple of other people (Manipulation) choose what you think is the best hack from the first page of Progressing hacks and the Showcase. Hotm was just really bad. A lot of the votes were based only on graphics, and people could easily vote for their friends. This way, we'll have more experienced and mature hackers deciding on which hack they think is the best of that month.
    Gasp* I was mentioned. But your a little factually incorrect. Light's new thread was posted a week before it was nominated. (Total surpriser) but if you look Pokemon Light has been around since the early 09'. Also I don't like the Idea of Mods choice. Simply because a lot of the mods are so like minded. I would much rather have a panel system where groups of lets say 100 good hackers only get to vote. (Hope that dosen't sound elitist) That way it takes away all the n00b votes, and only allows for educated ones. :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2019
    I would much rather have a panel system where groups of lets say 100 good hackers only get to vote. (Hope that dosen't sound elitist) That way it takes away all the n00b votes, and only allows for educated ones. :D
    A little elitism can be a good thing for exactly the reason described in your final sentence.

There is a community I once joined long after its heyday... But back during its glory days, its elitism was what motivated new members to stay and learn, so that they, too, could eventually receive the special treatment afforded to the more experienced.

A small sprinkling of elitism could serve to drive members away -- or instead to motivate them. It's all in the execution.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Yes I agree but it's treading thin ice. Who are we to say who is a good hacker or not. Would there be a test, or discretion of higher already established hackers. (Which they could exclude people not based on skills but on person beliefs, personality ect.) Now that I think about 100 seems like a big number...

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2019
    100 does seem like a big number.

One could start with the most experienced hackers, rule out those that are hostile to newbies, and then if there are too few, look for less-experienced hackers that are still above-average and that are also friendly.

Essentially, select people in an elitist manner, but don't select people who themselves have elitist attitudes. Sorta.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • I agreed with you for the most part, except for the potential. Any body can have it, many people do but just having potential is meaning less if you don't do anything about it. I.e you have to have some sort of showing.

It seems this idea those is having some traction any one else thinks a panel system would be a good idea?

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
    Years
  • I know this is just my opinion, which probably wont be any good but here is my idea,
    What if about 20 (or however many) people entered their hack for Hack of the Quarter in Q1 2012 and in the first month of Q1 anybody on PC votes for the hacks, then the top (insert number here) go on to the next round of voting where in the second month only a certain amount of people can vote or just the members on PC who have a hack themselves, then in the 3rd month the top 3 get entered where the mods vote for the winner.

Also I'd make it so they can only enter their hack in HotQ in twice in one year

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Sorry for butting in I just have a point to make

I saw an Adopt-A-Noob thing in the New Users/Welcome section, and you had to send in a PM with certain questions (kinda like an interview), and if the moderator thought you were fit for the job, the original PMer got a PM back saying they were "ACCEPTED", or "ACCEPTED-PENDING" or something.

We could do the same thing, but with a couple logic questions thrown in there, so that we can make sure that yes, even though you might be 11, you actually know what you're doing. (I remember there's a 10-year-old kid who already makes iPhone apps, so...)

And as for finding out if he's a good PERSON...I heard that real-life interviewers will comb through your Google results and stuff, and if you have, um, questionable pictures and posts and stuff, that acts as a tie-breaker or something to that extent.

So based on that, maybe we could have a "Application" race where people get accepted based on what they can answer, and afterwards the people who get accepted have some sort of a post-history "Comb-Through" by the moderators and the people deemed "A Good Hacker" go on to be the "board".

That way, it makes people motivated to be nice to their underlings (am I using the right word?), and makes an already nice forum into one in which everyone is either nice and welcoming or trying really REALLY hard to be welcoming. (which is better than having trolls honestly)

Back