• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [HotM October 2009] Pokémon ToxicPurple (Team Rocket hack)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Ok then, happy to help.
    This is ready for the Progressing Hacks.
    But you might want to wait till the new screens are taken.
    Also, would you like me to do some scripting?

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    A quick post before I get off for the night, and I'll reply to other comments later. I edited the first post to include this, but thought I should put it here, too:

I'm planning out some "final" battles for various rivals and enemies, their teams and levels and such. Not their moves yet, just the Pokémon. For example, right now Red's final team is probably going to be:
    Pikachu
    Charizard
    Lapras
    Umbreon
    Kabutops
    Hitmonchan
    This is Red's team because (with the exception of Pikachu, unless we're going by Pokémon Yellow) all of these Pokémon are ones you receive in an event, rather than by catching them. Admittedly, it's lopsided; half the team is vulnerable to Electric, and that's just what I noticed first off. Anyway, the point of this is I'm looking for some advice from people who know a bit more about making tough teams than I do, people who can go into the Pokémon Strategies & Movesets forum and not think "whut's all dis stuff s'posed to mean?" like I do. I don't know a sweeper from a trapper. (And yes, I did have to look those terms up to use them.) If anyone would like to help build the teams, let me know and I'll tell you what kind of teams I need for what trainers and what ideas I have for the teams so far.

The trainers I'm working on teams for so far include Red, Kris, Silver (a.k.a. Giovanni's kid), Jessie/James as a double battle, a Mewtwo-possessed Nurse Joy, Jenny, Sabrina, and Rival/Partner Leone. Possibly Bill (because Mewtwo will possess anyone and Bill happened to be next door to his cave), and possibly Professor Oak (because you're a thief in his lab, zomg). At this point I'm going with a D/P gym leader approach to Pokémon teams, which is that a slightly more diverse team capable of kicking your Rocket tushie is more important than a team all made of the exact same type. Which is why, for example, Sabrina will probably have a Hitmonlee on her team. It's anime canon. And we all know anime canon is infallible, right? Other unusual possibilities for her team include Haunter (again, anime canon) and Venomoth (R/B/FR/LG canon, which doesn't seem so odd until you realise it's Bug/Poison).

Formula380

Supersonic
    Years
    God this hack seems amazing. Don't give up on this because I think it could be as big as Shiny Gold! Anyways I'm gonna put one of your Toxic Purple sigs on my signature. Cant wait till this is out.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    THIS.... IS..... EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Like you I have no idea what that Sweeper stuff means so I can't help you there.
    Good Luck and I hope to take screenies soon ;P

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
    Years
    Nice map dude, it looks awesome!

Oh, and if you want to use other Pokemon sprites instead of the FR/LG ones PM me and Ill do my best to help you.

monobi

Pokémon Pixel Trainer
    Years
    Comments on the map:

A little more rounded, and vary the grass sprite a bit more. make things more open, even if there is nowhere to go there.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Erm.. about the map..

Honestly, it's not too good. You should take a look at zel's mapping of the same area, or take a look around the Map Rating thread. If you want, I could go into a full head-on review of it, but I really don't have time at the moment. Send me a VM if you want me to do that. :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2011
    Charizard

all of these Pokémon are ones you receive in an event, rather than by catching them.

Well In the manga Red got Bulbasaur from Oak so you could swap Charizard for that, That'll also help the weakness to electric Type.

ckret2

Years
    God this hack seems amazing. Don't give up on this because I think it could be as big as Shiny Gold! Anyways I'm gonna put one of your Toxic Purple sigs on my signature. Cant wait till this is out.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the support!

THIS.... IS..... EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Like you I have no idea what that Sweeper stuff means so I can't help you there.
    Good Luck and I hope to take screenies soon ;P

Heh, well thanks anyway. And honestly, I dunno if most of the competitive Pokémon stuff would apply when making up an A.I.-run team, anyway. I found one strategy called a F.E.A.R. Pokémon, which is a pretty clever idea; however, give your average in-game trainer a F.E.A.R. Pokémon, and it'd have no idea how to use it properly. Really, I'm looking for balanced teams rather than competitive-style teams.

What do you think so far.

Pretty good start. It's a bit plain, though, which would be fine in the original G/S/C but doesn't really fit the Advance style. Maybe it could have an extra house or two, or some flowers or more uneven tree lines? It's not like we're honor-bound to duplicate Gen II Johto exactly, so creativity's fine.

(By the way, I'm warning you now so you won't be surprised/offended later: I'm probably gonna be ridiculously picky on the maps. So after you finish it and send it to me, if I change up some things, it's not because I don't like your map; I'm just obsessive about little details like that, heh.)

Nice map dude, it looks awesome!

Oh, and if you want to use other Pokemon sprites instead of the FR/LG ones PM me and Ill do my best to help you.

Thanks for the offer. For now, I think I'm gonna be sticking with the FR/LG sprites. If I decide to use different ones I'll let you know.

Do you think you could insert some Trainer sprites, though? Hex doesn't get along with me and Unlz doesn't get along with my Mac, so I can't find a way to get them in. I don't know if inserting Trainer sprites requires overwriting other Trainer sprites already in the game (never got far along in the process to have to figure that out), but if it does, I'll let you know which ones can be replaced.

Well In the manga Red got Bulbasaur from Oak so you could swap Charizard for that, That'll also help the weakness to electric Type.

Hmm, okay... Good idea. I was going partly Red-from-the-manga, partly Red-from-the-game and partly Ash (I dunno, it made sense to me at the time), and since Ash's only full evolved Kanto starter was Charizard I stuck that in. I guess I'll go with less Ash and more Red and make that a Venusaur. Thanks!

... And as long as we're going with less influence from Ash, forget Pikachu. Red shall have a Raichu. I honestly don't know why I didn't go with that earlier, its base stats are over 50% better.

ckret2

Years
    ummm... shouldnt this be in progressing hacks?

Technically, it could legally go in the progressing hacks section, yeah. I haven't wanted to move it to progressing hacks since so far, only a bit of scripting has been done, at the beginning.

However, outside of the scripting, ToxicPurple now has some very nice new maps, some new overworlds, some trainer sprites that just need to be inserted into the game, and a ridiculous amount of planning, plotting, and figuring out of what works and what doesn't. And since several people have been calling for it to be moved, I guess it's ready to move to the progressing hacks section.

So, I'll PM a mod and see if they agree. :P

timekaiser

Friend Code: 1634 5420 3920
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2010
    Red's Team said:
    On Hand:
    Venusaur Nicknamed: Saur (Lv.82)
    Poliwrath Nicknamed: Poli (Lv.80)
    Pikachu Nicknamed: Pika (Lv.88)
    Snorlax Nicknamed: Lax (Lv.89)
    Gyarados Nicknamed: Gyara (Lv.84)
    Aerodactyl Nicknamed: Aero (Lv.85)

In Box
    :
    Espeon (Level 65)
    Diglett (Level 23)
    Sandshrew (Level 21)
    Nidorino (Level 42)

Unknown Status:
    Fearow
    Nidoqueen
    Nidoking (multiple)
    Victreebel (multiple)
    Weepinbell (multiple)
    Bellsprout (multiple)
    Exeggcute (multiple)
    Parasect (multiple)
    Butterfree

Dont give him Pokemon he doesnt have

Last edited:

ckret2

Years
    Dont give him Pokemon he doesnt have

Thanks for the info, but, as I have said before, the Red in this game is NOT going to be the Red from the manga, even if I am borrowing some ideas from the manga. He's closest to Red from R/B/FR/LG, a.k.a. you, the main character in the game (assuming you take the male in FR/LG). He is not Red from the manga any more than he is Ash Ketchum.

All the Pokémon I listed--Pikachu (potentially Raichu instead), Charizard (potentially Venusaur instead), Lapras, Umbreon, Kabutops, and Hitmonchan--are Pokémon that Red from the game DOES have, or at least could probably have, if the player directs him in that way (well... with the exception of Pikachu/Raichu, which, like I said, was Ash-influenced, and/or Pokémon Yellow-influenced). Charizard and Venusaur evolve from starters you can choose, Lapras is given to you in Silph Co., Umbreon evolves from the Eevee you can pick up in Celadon City, Kabutops evolves from Kabuto which you can get depending on what fossil you take, and Hitmonchan is one of your two choices of prizes at the fighting dojo in Saffron City. In fact, since these are "gift" Pokémon rather than Pokémon you have to go out and actually catch (excluding Pikachu...) these are some of the few Pokémon that there's a very high likelyhood of many different Reds from many different people's games having in one form or another.

Going by game canon, Pokémon like Poliwrath, Diglett, Sandshrew, etc. are all Pokémon that Red "doesn't have," or has a much lower likelihood of having, since the player must go out and catch them. Pokémon like Snorlax and Gyarados are more likely, since Snorlax is a special Pokémon and you can buy a Magikarp from a Rocket, but they're still less likely than "gift" Pokémon.

In any case, the Pokémon that the Red in ToxicPurple does or doesn't have aren't dictated by the manga. They're dictated by what Pokémon are in his team when you battle him.

... and all that being said, I'm still going to have to change the team, since it's got two Water-types.

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
    Years
    Thanks for the offer. For now, I think I'm gonna be sticking with the FR/LG sprites. If I decide to use different ones I'll let you know.

Do you think you could insert some Trainer sprites, though? Hex doesn't get along with me and Unlz doesn't get along with my Mac, so I can't find a way to get them in. I don't know if inserting Trainer sprites requires overwriting other Trainer sprites already in the game (never got far along in the process to have to figure that out), but if it does, I'll let you know which ones can be replaced.

I dont know if I can, the last time I insterted trainer sprites using unLZ for some reason the pic horribly messed up. Ill PM you if I manage to do it and Ill do that for ya.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Thanks for the info, but, as I have said before, the Red in this game is NOT going to be the Red from the manga, even if I am borrowing some ideas from the manga. He's closest to Red from R/B/FR/LG, a.k.a. you, the main character in the game (assuming you take the male in FR/LG). He is not Red from the manga any more than he is Ash Ketchum.

All the Pokémon I listed--Pikachu (potentially Raichu instead), Charizard (potentially Venusaur instead), Lapras, Umbreon, Kabutops, and Hitmonchan--are Pokémon that Red from the game DOES have, or at least could probably have, if the player directs him in that way (well... with the exception of Pikachu/Raichu, which, like I said, was Ash-influenced, and/or Pokémon Yellow-influenced). Charizard and Venusaur evolve from starters you can choose, Lapras is given to you in Silph Co., Umbreon evolves from the Eevee you can pick up in Celadon City, Kabutops evolves from Kabuto which you can get depending on what fossil you take, and Hitmonchan is one of your two choices of prizes at the fighting dojo in Saffron City. In fact, since these are "gift" Pokémon rather than Pokémon you have to go out and actually catch (excluding Pikachu...) these are some of the few Pokémon that there's a very high likelyhood of many different Reds from many different people's games having in one form or another.

Going by game canon, Pokémon like Poliwrath, Diglett, Sandshrew, etc. are all Pokémon that Red "doesn't have," or has a much lower likelihood of having, since the player must go out and catch them. Pokémon like Snorlax and Gyarados are more likely, since Snorlax is a special Pokémon and you can buy a Magikarp from a Rocket, but they're still less likely than "gift" Pokémon.

In any case, the Pokémon that the Red in ToxicPurple does or doesn't have aren't dictated by the manga. They're dictated by what Pokémon are in his team when you battle him.

... and all that being said, I'm still going to have to change the team, since it's got two Water-types.
    Yeah, I think people need to get it straight that the Red in the manga is based off of the Red in the game.

timekaiser

Friend Code: 1634 5420 3920
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2010
    Yeah, I think people need to get it straight that the Red in the manga is based off of the Red in the game.

Still the Character in the Game ISNT named Red so no RED is not "RED" they are 2 different people if you name someone Red it should be either Red from the Manga or ascended of Red so that would be Red JR.

ckret2

Years
    I dont know if I can, the last time I insterted trainer sprites using unLZ for some reason the pic horribly messed up. Ill PM you if I manage to do it and Ill do that for ya.

Ah, okay. Thanks anyway, and let me know if you make any more progress with that.

Still the Character in the Game ISNT named Red so no RED is not "RED" they are 2 different people if you name someone Red it should be either Red from the Manga or ascended of Red so that would be Red JR.

"Should be"? The fact that I'm naming a character Red does not automatically means I have to make him Red from the manga or somehow related to him. Just like naming him Aaron wouldn't mean I have to give him a funky hat, a magical staff, and a Lucario, and call him "Sir." Same names. Different canons. Different characters. Even Pokémon canon does that, at least in the dub, by using the same name for two different characters: meet Cyrus and Cyrus

And, for the record, "Red" is the generally accepted name for the male main character in Gen I and FR/LG, due to the fact that it is the first name option for him, and in addition, the trainer you battle in Mt. Silver (who is the Gen I protagonist three years older) is named "PKMN TRAINER RED." So actually, yes, "Red" really IS widely acknowledged to be the name of the hero in Gen I and FR/LG, and is OFFICIALLY recognized as such in Gen II.

Even if it weren't, though, that hardly means that naming him Red forbids me from giving him a Lapras, or a Kabutops, or any other character the manga Red doesn't have. Honestly.

Having spent... what, four? Four or five posts on the debate of whether or not one can legitimately name a game character Red without making him a clone/offspring of manga Red, I'm not going to spam up this thread with the debate anymore. If anyone has further concerns/evidence/whatever, VM or PM me about it; this thread is supposed to be about the progress of ToxicPurple.

But if it makes anyone feel better, his Charizard will most definitely be switched out for a Venusaur.

ACTUAL RELEVANT INFORMATION!!

For anyone that's interested, we've got more screenshots of a particular script. I'll add them to the main post when I feel less lazy:

Spoiler:

Also, I'm needing help for a minor thing. Like I mentioned earlier, hex editors hate my Mac. I need to add more overworlds to the game, and have tried to follow the instructions in this tutorial, but whenever I try to copy the data... the hex editor crashes. :/ If anyone would be willing to take the .IPS file, add in space for 30 normal-sized overworlds (probably won't need that many, but just to be safe), and send it back, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

I've VMed one of the mods asking if this could be moved to Progressing Hacks. Haven't got a response yet. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

The warden

I'm back!
    Years
    I had some ideas one is the V.S. Seeker could become the Team Rocket Emblem. Think about it you show a team rocket agent the Team Rocket Emblem they know you are a team rocket member and heal your Pokemon. If you show it to a trainer or the poilce they will want to battle you (if you didn't beat up there Pokemon too bad last time).

Also I think this would be hard to do but Team Rocket always uses certain Pokemon, maybe you could have a Rocket Rating, which is based on how intimidating your team looks. Here was what I was thinking give each Pokemon a number from 2 to -2. Something like Houndoom 2, Ecans 1, Pidgeot 0, Chansey -1 (It's rare but cute) and Jiggleypuff -2. Then for your current party you add up all the Rocket Ratings to get your Party Rating, you could make a person who rates your team and make them say diffrent things for diffrent Ratings. If the Rater thinks you are strong (i.e. all 2's) they battle you and give you a prize if you win.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Ah, okay. Thanks anyway, and let me know if you make any more progress with that.

"Should be"? The fact that I'm naming a character Red does not automatically means I have to make him Red from the manga or somehow related to him. Just like naming him Aaron wouldn't mean I have to give him a funky hat, a magical staff, and a Lucario, and call him "Sir." Same names. Different canons. Different characters. Even Pokémon canon does that, at least in the dub, by using the same name for two different characters: meet Cyrus and Cyrus

And, for the record, "Red" is the generally accepted name for the male main character in Gen I and FR/LG, due to the fact that it is the first name option for him, and in addition, the trainer you battle in Mt. Silver (who is the Gen I protagonist three years older) is named "PKMN TRAINER RED." So actually, yes, "Red" really IS widely acknowledged to be the name of the hero in Gen I and FR/LG, and is OFFICIALLY recognized as such in Gen II.

Even if it weren't, though, that hardly means that naming him Red forbids me from giving him a Lapras, or a Kabutops, or any other character the manga Red doesn't have. Honestly.

Having spent... what, four? Four or five posts on the debate of whether or not one can legitimately name a game character Red without making him a clone/offspring of manga Red, I'm not going to spam up this thread with the debate anymore. If anyone has further concerns/evidence/whatever, VM or PM me about it; this thread is supposed to be about the progress of ToxicPurple.

But if it makes anyone feel better, his Charizard will most definitely be switched out for a Venusaur.

ACTUAL RELEVANT INFORMATION!!

For anyone that's interested, we've got more screenshots of a particular script. I'll add them to the main post when I feel less lazy:

Spoiler:

Also, I'm needing help for a minor thing. Like I mentioned earlier, hex editors hate my Mac. I need to add more overworlds to the game, and have tried to follow the instructions in this tutorial, but whenever I try to copy the data... the hex editor crashes. :/ If anyone would be willing to take the .IPS file, add in space for 30 normal-sized overworlds (probably won't need that many, but just to be safe), and send it back, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

I've VMed one of the mods asking if this could be moved to Progressing Hacks. Haven't got a response yet. We'll see how that goes.
    Thank you Bulbagarden :D.

I had some ideas one is the V.S. Seeker could become the Team Rocket Emblem. Think about it you show a team rocket agent the Team Rocket Emblem they know you are a team rocket member and heal your Pokemon. If you show it to a trainer or the poilce they will want to battle you (if you didn't beat up there Pokemon too bad last time).

Also I think this would be hard to do but Team Rocket always uses certain Pokemon, maybe you could have a Rocket Rating, which is based on how intimidating your team looks. Here was what I was thinking give each Pokemon a number from 2 to -2. Something like Houndoom 2, Ecans 1, Pidgeot 0, Chansey -1 (It's rare but cute) and Jiggleypuff -2. Then for your current party you add up all the Rocket Ratings to get your Party Rating, you could make a person who rates your team and make them say diffrent things for diffrent Ratings. If the Rater thinks you are strong (i.e. all 2's) they battle you and give you a prize if you win.
    That would take lots of flags and a lots of scripting, although I think the first idea is a good one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back