• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How adorable...too bad it can't fight to save itself. D:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    It's an unfortunate occurance in the Pokemon games...pokemon with amazing designs get shafted with terribad stats, typing, and/or movepool.

Such pokemon are the focus of today's thread.

- Whats your favorite pokemon with an amazing design but crappy combat potential?
    - Do you let that deter you from using it?
    - What would you do to make this pokemon a better combatant? (alter their base stats? alter their movepool?)

For me, my favorite such pokemon is Garbodor. I'm probably one of like, seven people in the fandom that doesn't hate the poor thing, and when I tried using one in my first White playthrough, I was thoroughly disappointed with it's shallow movepool and awkward stat distribution (I expected it to be a lot more defensive, but it's premier stat is its ATK).

I kept using it though, as a Toxic-staller, all the way up until the E4 where I replaced it with the Zekrom. XD

Personally, I'd take twenty points away from its base ATK and SPD and reallocate it to DEF and SP.DEF, giving it a stat spread of 80/75/92/60/92/55, and if I'm allowed to up its BST, I'd round up his HP, DEF, and SP. DEF to 100/105/105 to give it a 520 BST. XD

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2011
    For me it was Liepard as i though it looked pretty good and had it in my team until i realised its stats werent that good and its attacks were limited to a few types.
    So once i realised this i did replace purrloin.
    I wouldve liked it to have a higher hp, def and sp. def as theyre pretty low and also if pokemon like persian can have moves like dig and thunderbolt and watchog can have thunderbolt and flamethrower why cant Liepard?

Years
    Furret was always one of my favorites, it could learn so many awkword moves, mine in crystal knew the 3 elemental punches and hyperbeam :) the downside is..... IT SUCKS combat wise.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    To be honest, I was gonna consider using a Lillipup for my Pokemon Black run, because of how cute it was. I then saw how terrible and ugly Herdier and Stoutland were, and gave up on that dream. I'm growing a liking to Stoutland now, but I still don't like Herdier.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    Whats your favorite pokemon with an amazing design but crappy combat potential?
    Emonga and Glaceon. They're so cute but weak. .__.;

Do you let that deter you from using it?
    yup.

What would you do to make this pokemon a better combatant? (alter their base stats? alter their movepool?)
    Their base stat. >m< omg it's so low.

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    Klink family are so funny, but physicality they only get Normal, Steel, and rock smash, and specially (Worse stat) only Flash cannon And electric moves :(

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    Whats your favorite pokemon with an amazing design but crappy combat potential?
    Masquerain and Breloom In gen III.
    I used these two a lot, I still do, but I usually switch them out for something better after a while.
    - What would you do to make this pokemon a better combatant? (alter their base stats? alter their movepool?)
    Gen IV is the greatest thing that ever happened to these two. Breloom gained physical Grass moves, while Masquerain now has acces to special STAB moves, making them much more powerful. I admit, Masquerain's still weak compared to others, but it's got a good special movepool and decent special attack

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    - Whats your favorite pokemon with an amazing design but crappy combat potential?: Klinklang. Its stats are good, but its movepool is bad.
    - Do you let that deter you from using it?: Yes, it does.
    - What would you do to make this pokemon a better combatant? (alter their base stats? alter their movepool?): Give it more physical moves, and a better Special Attack.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Emonga and Glaceon. They're so cute but weak. .__.;

Glaceon? Really? The eevolution that its base Special Attack stat is on par with Espeon? I know Glaceon is so slow, but not that weak. Just telling you though since Glaceon is also one of my favorites.

- Whats your favorite pokemon with an amazing design but crappy combat potential? Beedril and Magcargo. I want use Beedril in my team, but its base stat is so low while Magcargo stat isn't that impresive either.
    To be honest, yes because their stats is just too low. I wouldn't mind using them if their stat is 450 or bit above that
    Of course better total stat for them. Say, like 450 total stat for Beedril which is focused to Attack and Special Defense or Speed. While Magcarco should have higher Special Attack and HP base stat

cockatoo777

Pokemon Music Lover
    Years
    Petilil and Liligant. Ninetales too...I tried using it but found its DEF and ATK stat to be too weak (I know its not meant to be used as an attacking poke and more as a will o whisper)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    - Whats your favorite pokemon with an amazing design but crappy combat potential? The answer, of course, is my fave Pokemon, Persian.
    - Do you let that deter you from using it? No, because Fake Out is still a pretty useful tactic in-game, and I find a way to make it work.
    - What would you do to make this pokemon a better combatant? (alter their base stats? alter their movepool?) Persian definitely needs much better base stats. Everything except Speed is fair at best.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Glaceon? Really? The eevolution that its base Special Attack stat is on par with Espeon? I know Glaceon is so slow, but not that weak. Just telling you though since Glaceon is also one of my favorites.

- Whats your favorite pokemon with an amazing design but crappy combat potential? Beedril and Magcargo. I want use Beedril in my team, but its base stat is so low while Magcargo stat isn't that impresive either.
    To be honest, yes because their stats is just too low. I wouldn't mind using them if their stat is 450 or bit above that
    Of course better total stat for them. Say, like 450 total stat for Beedril which is focused to Attack and Special Defense or Speed. While Magcarco should have higher Special Attack and HP base stat

omg, I totally agree about magcargo. It's like my favorite fire-type by design (actually, I think Volcarona and Chandelure overthrew it in B/W, but still...) and it's seriously hindered by its low HP and two 4x weaknesses. :/

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    - Whats your favorite pokemon with an amazing design but crappy combat potential?

Lilligant and its pre evo...Petilil. Also the pre evos of Scolipede, they were so weak... But Scolipede looks so awesome...

Petilil no, but when it evolved into Lilligant, I swapped it out for Scolipede.

Dont have the faintest idea XD

koji8123

PKMN Collector
    Years
    Whats your favorite pokemon with an amazing design but crappy combat potential?: Pikachu, Lillipup, Druddigon, staryu, and the horsea tree( until Kingdra came along)
    Do you let that deter you from using it?: yeah more or less, except for Pikachu, but only because Raichu is one of my all-time favorite pokemon.
    What would you do to make this pokemon a better combatant? (alter their base stats? alter their movepool?): Base stats need to be raised D:

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    omg, I totally agree about magcargo. It's like my favorite fire-type by design (actually, I think Volcarona and Chandelure overthrew it in B/W, but still...) and it's seriously hindered by its low HP and two 4x weaknesses. :/

I'm kinda go "WTF?!" when realized Magcargo total stats is really low although its design is really good. I expect that Magcargo should have 490 base total stat at least.

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    Lilligant. Great design, good stats. However, it's movepool is just so.....limited. But that does not deter me from using a lilligant; it can be very helpful at times. To improve her, I'd allow her to use a wider variety of moves like sludge bomb or shadow ball, which would certainly make excellent use of her special attack stat.

Another one was furret. Great design, and can learn a wide variety of moves. HOWEVER, it's stats are very lackluster, but because of the moves it could learn, it was a lifesaver several times, so in pokemon crystal, it was a great part of my team. At the very least, I would give it 90-100 attack and a small boost in speed- I'd say around 110. It looks like it'd have more than just 90 speed.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Darumaka. ;~;

I love Darumaka to death, so like the dork I am, I was at the Pokemon League before I let mine evolve. When it's got to attack first, it did pretty awesome, but the second it was hit, it was usually one-hit KO'd. Made me sad.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Klink family are so funny, but physicality they only get Normal, Steel, and rock smash, and specially (Worse stat) only Flash cannon And electric moves :(

Agreed. It's a shame really; the lack of physical moves and a diverse movepool is really a hindrance to it's potentiality. It didn't really deter me from using it, since I have a KlinkKlang and I've used the guy quite a lot. But yeah, a better movepool would've been awesome.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years

Basically all starters !!

Not really !!

I would improve their stats.

Back