• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How can leveling Pokemon be made less boring?

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2011
    Personally I kind of enjoy grinding for levels, I don't think you should change it in my opinion

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2013
    I agree with the 'too bad' factor. My suggestion would be making a new, innovative day-care system, as an alternative to battles. Experienced hackers can manage it, I think.

I totally agree with this, making daycare couple level up your mons faster, at the cost of more money xD.

For the experience part you could make the game treat every pokemon as if it was a traded one (if possible of course).

Another simple solution will be handing the starter pokemons at higher levels, for example level 50 and making most of wild pokemon areas contain pokemon from level´s 40 trough 49-50 with passable/intermedium power attacks, so they can be a bit more challenging sometimes if needed.

Or including more challenging and though trainers in the game so you can have more fun and gain a lot of experience for your low leveled mons, with fully specialized teams and high levels from 90-100. Another idea for this is to level up every trainer´s mons as you go battling them kinda like vs seeker functions or emerald´s gym leaders do.

HackHackHack

Alias RayFlame
    Years
    Lucky Egg+Tough trainers/Rematches+VS Seeker= EXP
    Just use YAPE to make magikarps, caterpies, wurmple etc hold Lucky Egg and capture it to receive the egg then fight!!!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2012
    Grinding is boring. - That's at least how most people feel.

Walking around in grass only to level up your pokemon is basically just "grinding", -> aka, a boring process.

If you want leveling up your pokemon have to be less boring, - all you simply have to do is make sure the grinding process isn't going to be the main reason people play the game on.

It's actually really simple. Just build up your game in a way, so that the tough part isn't going to be the high level pokemon, trainers/gym leaders are going to have, but instead that their pokemon perhaps are further evevolved or/and have better moves.

By keeping the grinding off the focus, try to keep the different levels of your enemies more even.
    - This will result in people playing the game with the main focus to progress and not to grind experience.

Another suggestion could be. - To have a lot of trainers in your game, - so people who play your game are forced to face and beat those trainers. -> Which gives experience which then will help level up your pokemon, and furthermore, the higher level your pokemon already are, the less you are required to level up your pokemon in the grass.

Okay I usually dont get on here for anything but the emulators but this topic has me interested and this comment is actually a good idea....Imagine being able to do quests and then upon completion you get to distribute the experience points between the pokemon of your choice in your party...(lol idk if i worded that right) but yeah
    This wouldn't make any sense. - You're suppose to "experience" something inorder to gain the "experience points" from it.
    And I know there is an item called Exp Share. But it shouldn't be a general rule that you could split the "experience points" between all of your pokemon, for a job, only one pokemon actually did.

We should have pokemon not just at lvl 2-5 but at 2 to 20 for example. This makes training faster should you defeat a pokemon higher level than your current starter.
    But how annoying wouldn't it be, to lose to a wild pokemon?
    Think about just having rested your pokemon in a pokemon center, and you go out for beating up some Team Rocket agents. - Yet before even reaching them, you are forced to return to the pokemon center again, because your own pokemon are too exhausted to fight anything, ONLY because you were so incredibly unlucky to meet a high level pokemon in the grass, that was too strong.

Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    I all but eliminated grinding in my hack [Pokemon Requiem] by adding Trainer Rematches. Not by use of the VS Seeker but simply by retalking to them. Of course I made it so that they don't always want to rematch - instead they're on a random battle cycle. This way instead of battling the wild Pokemon which have no AI and require no real skill, you can battle trainers (who typically have AI and some strategic functions as well as higher level pokemon). In short, adding Trainers that you can battle more than once, is a way to eliminate the need for grinding.

Putin

Anspruchsvolle Narr
    Years
    I all but eliminated grinding in my hack [Pokemon Requiem] by adding Trainer Rematches. Not by use of the VS Seeker but simply by retalking to them. Of course I made it so that they don't always want to rematch - instead they're on a random battle cycle. This way instead of battling the wild Pokemon which have no AI and require no real skill, you can battle trainers (who typically have AI and some strategic functions as well as higher level pokemon). In short, adding Trainers that you can battle more than once, is a way to eliminate the need for grinding.
    That seems like a good idea.

Something else I've noticed is the leveling curve. In most official games, it is not actually that steep (halfway through, everything is still ~ level 20, with a short jump at every gym leader/rival battle), with the exceptional point being in BW where the game has an extremely low gradation of leveling, then shoots up post-game to the highest average levels it's ever been in an official game.

However, at the end of an average game, including most romhacks, the highest-level thing you're going to see is 60, tops (excluding legendaries). so there's no reason at any point to grind; Assuming the game is sufficient in length, you keep level naturally, and only face overleveled opponents if they are intentionally overleveled for difficulty's sake.

If you want to cater to people that grind to 100, though, for the sake of perfection or whatever, make the game longer. Expand routes, add more things post-game.

Of course, this only occurs to me because I'm replacing the Sevii Isles in FR right now with a more Orange Isles archipelago, and finding that, by the time I'm finished, the champion (and player, in most cases) will have Pokémon in the late 90's if I keep the leveling curve from the original game going; And that's going along, periodically KO'ing wild Pokémon and challenging all the trainers, but not really stopping to just grind at any point.

Also, as for the Lucky egg people, you don't have to put it on vendor trash (which doesn't make sense, really), just put it on the starter. A gift from your professor. Or make one in the starting town, et cetera. You could even have them sold in shops.

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
    Leveling Pokemon could be made less boring by having enough unavoidable trainers and plot related battles to satisfy the amount of exp to complete the game. I do hate it when people make "difficult" games that actually just rely on more leveling. I say give the trainers stronger Pokemon, not astronomical levels.

Varin

Storm'd at with shot and shell
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2013
    I'm planning to go through the PokeDex, rebalancing the amount of Base Exp each Pokemon gives, so that levelling up is relatively faster.

Varin

Storm'd at with shot and shell
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2013
    No, 255 is the limit. That's still not really that bad, though, especially if you take other steps like making the lucky egg more easily available.

SuperiorRhyperior

The Chosen One
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2011
    Quote reply

I dont think it's a problem. I mean this is an emulater for god sake, you can speed it up to 500%

Another solution could be EXP Orbs or something that increase the exp when holded.
    they did make something like an exp orb, its called a lucky egg!

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
    At least it's not like leveling up in Disgaea... 9999 levels takes a LOOONG time to get to...
    Hack-wise, I try to make a note where players may or may not get stuck, and throw in 2-3 areas with pokemon just below the next gym's gym trainer levels, all containing different pokemon so that you can level with a variety of pokemon, I might also throw in a few rare candies hidden around the maps...
    Also, Lucky Egg / EXP Share /Trade Status is helpful. (I like to have a few in-game trades for that reason.)

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2022
    Well...there are three main approaches. (And this IS partially bouncing off of suggestions that others have already made.)

1. Rebattling trainers. There are various ways to make this happen and it works. 2. Wild pokemon. Try giving certain pokemon high exp yields and putting them in a specific area. (A pokemon version of "Metal Slime.") 3. Give battling some other incentive. How? Get creative. Rare hold items + thief can be fun.

Of course, how you make grinding interesting is all about your personal preferences. And if grinding is really so boring that it can't be made fun, then don't do it. This aspect of gameplay is quite optional what with potions and all that.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
    Then what's real difficulty? Tell me, the idea intrigues me for my own hack...

Real difficulty, by my definition, would be trainers that actually take thought and skill to beat, not just patience. Any idiot can hit the A button for an hour to level up their team. It takes a lot more logic and planning to be able to counter a well-constructed team.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2013
    What about creating a trainer with weak, low-level pokemon that gives tons of exp and then use the vs. seeker?

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    What about creating a trainer with weak, low-level pokemon that gives tons of exp and then use the vs. seeker?
    Again, a lot of people have suggested this but if anything it makes the game even more boring! That's almost the same as giving out 100 rare candies. Yeah it will get the job done but at the same time it sucks the fun right out of it.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 4, 2014
    Honestly, I think the only way would be to reduce the amount of EXP needed, but not too much.

Back