• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How can Pokemon live inside such small Pokeballs?

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
  • Has anyone ever wondered, how Pokemon manage to fit into small Pokeballs & how exactly do they "live" inside them? ~_~

Can you imagine gigantic Pokemon like Gyarados or Milotic "living" inside such tiny Pokeballs!:|

What do you guys think?

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    Can you imagine gigantic Pokemon like Gyarados or Milotic "living" inside such tiny Pokeballs!

I thought it was pretty clear in the anime that they turn into sort of a plasma-type energy which is then contained in the pokeball...
    Also, while not mentioned in the anime, it seems that pokemon don't need to eat as long as they are in their pokeball. A prime example would be James' Carnavine, who had been in a pokeball for what must of been 8 years at least.

So I would say they don't live in the pokeballs, they are merely stored and transported using them. :P

Last edited:

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • I always just assumed that when Pokemon are captured they transform into energy or data, and when they're sent out of their Pokeball that energy converts back into the Pokemon. Here are some other mysteries: How are Pokemon trainers able to identify the Pokemon inside their Pokeballs? Why do Pokemon disappear as a result of being defeated in the games, but not in the anime? Pokemon logic is inconsistent in numerous ways though, but Pokemon isn't really supposed to make a lot of sense. it's just supposed to be entertaining, balanced and fun, but it can be fun to theorize too :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    Why do Pokemon disappear as a result of being defeated in the games, but not in the anime?

I'm assuming you mean wild pokemon.
    In the anime it's actually quite rare to see a pokemon be knocked out before capturing it, they're always weakened and then caught.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • I'm assuming you mean wild pokemon.
    In the anime it's actually quite rare to see a pokemon be knocked out before capturing it, they're always weakened and then caught.

I haven't watched the anime in years, and I was hoping I remembered everything right but I guess not. :(

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    There are a variety of theories as to what goes on inside of the Pokeball.

1) The Pokemon gets converted into energy/data.
    2) The environment theory, where the inside of the ball is a recreation of the Pokemon's ideal environment to live in.

I prefer to believe a combination of the two. To fully understand where I stand on this, you need to have watched the Moriarty story arc of Star Trek the Next Generation. I believe that the Pokemon is converted to energy/data and placed in a simulation of its ideal environment. That way, there is no limitation on how large the environment can be (versus the volume of the ball) and the Pokemon can be happy.

This also allows for the Pokemon to be able to accept commands from inside the ball, and even move the ball itself. It can even deploy/release itself if necessary.

Let's talk about Deoxys. Or not, let's actually talk about Destiny Deoxys, the film. It is implied that when trainers visit LaRousse City, they surrender control of their Pokeballs to some sort of central system. Either that, or the system becomes a necessary component in the operation of the ball for the duration of the trainer's visit. This makes sense given the large battling organization on the island. Highly regulated.

How this relates is that perhaps Pokeballs are way more sophisticated than we imagine. And I think that's great.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2016
    Since Pokemon don't seem to need sleep, but have been seen needing to be fed in the anime, I'm thinking along the lines of "shrunken down." Although, I did add my own twist to this. I think that while in pokeballs, Pokemon live in a kind of holographic illusion hypnosis dream reality, corresponding to said pokemon's desires and/or habitat. I dunno, just fun speculation :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    I've come to the assumption that every Pokemon you capture actually live at your house, or heck, even in the wild. Poke balls contain the technology to form a link with one Pokemon forever and can transform them into data and transport them to wherever you need them.

Now how such wondrous technology costs the same as a bottle of water...

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • I would like to confirm that the following is 100% fact.

How can Pokemon live inside such small Pokeballs?

Years
  • There are a variety of theories as to what goes on inside of the Pokeball.

1) The Pokemon gets converted into energy/data.
    2) The environment theory, where the inside of the ball is a recreation of the Pokemon's ideal environment to live in.

This and also I like to think that PC storage is an extension of that but with more pokemon.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    This and also I like to think that PC storage is an extension of that but with more pokemon.

Good point! Perhaps we can think of the PC like a ranch, where each box represents a different area of the ranch. It'd be like Professor Oak's lab, but simulated and much larger.

Years
  • The picture doesn't work for me :/ But that's okay ^^
    Maybe this one will work for you, then?

I think the option of a living world in a Poke Ball is pretty cool, though it seems a lot more believeable that the Pokemon is just turned into energy/data, as awful as that may sound. And if that's the case, I don't blame Pikachu for now wanting to go in his Poke Ball!

Back