• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Come Gardevoir Can Be A Boy?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Another thing to point out is that with all these references to crossdressing, let's not forget that this is how they look naturally. Like it's not a dress, but his actual body. Perhaps within the Gardevoir community, there's some other gender indication that they use to distinguish gender amongst their own species. Us wondering how there can be male Gardevoir is like Venusaur saying "How can there be female humans? None of them even have a seed growing out of their back! That's soooo masculine...."

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Of course, Asian cultures tend to be more comfortable about the crossdressing thing- but that's a different topic.
    Jumping on this tangent, other cultures tend to have other ideas on what sort of appearance is feminine or not. So I imagine the same applies to Pokémon - they have their own ideas about what would be an attractive male/female to them, even if they look pretty darn similar to us. Or what Sopheria said. =p

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    How can Mr. Mime be female and Miss-Magius be a male? (It's a konspiracie!!)

I believe the real conspirator in this argument is Gallade, who doesn't game a female gender. For that, you're stereotyping Gardevoir? How could you? We must put Gallade behind bars immediately!

Gardevoir is a protector, like a guardian angel. Consider the skirt thing a robe of a knight, or something. And it all depends on what gender you want your guardian angel to be.

just saying i still prefer my gardevoir female ok you can kill me now

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
    I will grant that Gardevoir is more androgynous than other 'mons that seem they should be one or the other, but how many of you- honestly- have a female Machoke for anything other than breeding?

Unless you happened across one with the perfect combo of ability, nature, and IVs.

Schizii

Always tired.
    Years
    Well, I personally don't use fighting types very often, so now, I don't have a female machoke. In fact, I don't even have a machoke period. xD

But I don't think it really matters. If your pokemon happens to be male, cool. If it's female, that's radical. A pokemon is still a pokemon regardless, and I think they should be loved either way. c:

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    Simple, they're animals (Pokemon are animals, right?). As animals, their secondary and tertiary sexual characteristics differ from our own, often causing confusion as to their true gender. Many children often immediately assume dogs are male unless specifically told otherwise, and that butterflies and ladybugs (Hue) are female. I wouldn't be surprised if male gardevoirs actually did have a distinguishing visual aspect in universe, and that it just doesn't show in games.

Years
    I have a male Gardevoir on my team, I don't mind one bit. Men can be feminine, Females can be masculine. I don't care what genders my pokemon are except where breeding is concerned.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2017
    Before it's mega evolution came along (which is obviously based on a wedding dress) I would have agreed that gardevoir was based on a knight rather than a female. However you cannot tell me that with Gardevoirs mega form that it is not based on a female wedding dress lol. Plus Gardevoir has a male counterpart in Gallade, so I just consider male gardevoir crossdressers or transgenders now :]

Nidoking76

Not splitting the party
    Years
    Us wondering how there can be male Gardevoir is like Venusaur saying "How can there be female humans? None of them even have a seed growing out of their back! That's soooo masculine...."

You have a good point here. We all think other things are weird because we don't understand them. Us thinking that it is weird that Gardevoir can be a boy is weird in the same way for us as it would be for a Machamp thinking it is weird for us to wear shirts.

Last edited:

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
    Years
    Why wouldn't it be able to be? If it were supposed to be 100% female, it would have been. As it's not, well... I'm assuming that making it appear feminine in the first place wasn't the intention.

(This does not, of course, explain why Gallade is 100% male, but I could chalk that up to some property of the Dawn Stone that only allows it to work on a species of Pokemon if it's a specific gender... y'know, considering it evolves Snorunt into Froslass, too.)

Also the female Machoke comments... come on, people, ladies can be bodybuilders too. It's not that weird.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
    Why wouldn't it be able to be? If it were supposed to be 100% female, it would have been. As it's not, well... I'm assuming that making it appear feminine in the first place wasn't the intention.

(This does not, of course, explain why Gallade is 100% male, but I could chalk that up to some property of the Dawn Stone that only allows it to work on a species of Pokemon if it's a specific gender... y'know, considering it evolves Snorunt into Froslass, too.)

Also the female Machoke comments... come on, people, ladies can be bodybuilders too. It's not that weird.

Weird enough to weird most people out, as do men in dresses.

Even kilts are regarded as bizarre by some (mostly by those who are ignorant and cannot make the distinction between the two).

And while it is true that- being Pokémon- their gender distinctions can play be very different rules than our own.

But I just thinks it's only logical that with two genders- if one evolution is gonna be gender-specific, the other should be the- well- other.

Call it an OCD thing but I DEMAND BALANCE.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Before it's mega evolution came along (which is obviously based on a wedding dress) I would have agreed that gardevoir was based on a knight rather than a female. However you cannot tell me that with Gardevoirs mega form that it is not based on a female wedding dress lol. Plus Gardevoir has a male counterpart in Gallade, so I just consider male gardevoir crossdressers or transgenders now :]

Again, you're only looking at things based on our preconceived notions about real-world human sexuality. Having a lower body that looks like a wedding dress (personally, I think it looks more like a lotus blossom) could be just as sexually innocuous to pokémon in the amorphous egg group as a human having curly hair.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Again, you're only looking at things based on our preconceived notions about real-world human sexuality. Having a lower body that looks like a wedding dress (personally, I think it looks more like a lotus blossom) could be just as sexually innocuous to pokémon in the amorphous egg group as a human having curly hair.

This. I'm sure Gardevoir have looked the way they do since loooong before we humans have been wearing dresses.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
    People keep bringing up the fact that Pokémon aren't people, to which reminded me of this lovely snippet; a well-done representation of the quirky and strange ways that various animals reproduce.

(Large image)

Spoiler:

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
    People often think that gardevoir has feminine features but in reality the Pokemon is based off a light paladin witch if you have played ff4 ciecil is a paladin with long hair and a cape and gardevoir has a cape and sort of long hair

Back