• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How did ORAS improve on the originals?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire transformed our journey through the region of Hoenn in a lot of ways. But what are some of the biggest improvements that you feel Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire made over Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald? Are there any aspects of ORAS in particular that you feel improved the experience of traveling through Hoenn? Story elements? Gym redesigns? Any of the new characters?

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    Seeing 3D models, hidden abilites, controlling nature and more legendary pokemons. Zinnia is a pretty cool character and they made Rayquaza part of the story.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • I've only just started playing yesterday (I'm slow on these things).

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the DexNav. I love it, because I've wanted something like that basically since the original R/S- but now it takes me a heckuva lot longer to ever leave an area and now I have about six of everything. Five hours in and I haven't gotten around to beating Roxanne yet.

Don't know much her, but Zinnia looks pretty rad. Hope the game gives us some decent story.

Mixed feelings about the return of Amie, because I actually feel kinda bad for the Mons I don't use it with. And the camera still sucks with facial recognition, so I still always skip those bits.

In any case, great to be back in Hoenn. Still one of my favourite regions.

Text

Wolf
    Years
  • Well for one it's the intro before battling, it get's me everytime. Not only that we hear new sounds, new graphics by going into 3-D. Introducing new pokemon from other regions to Hoenn.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    The 3D models, soaring, mirage spots (even though I would've liked to see one with wynaut on it), improved breeding mechanics, secret bases (because I never cared about them in the originals) and battle intros.

I also like the delta episode. It actually gives Rayquaza some story. Plus it's mega looks amazing. And Zinnia is a great addition to that story.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Good points, all! The graphics are definitely the biggest improvement--6th gen's full 3D graphics are a big jump even just compared to 5th gen before it. I also really loved the added graphical details, such as how Fortree Gym is made out of wood, and Lavaridge Gym is designed like an onsen. I also really loved how the Pokemon Contests were improved! It was really neat that they incorporated Mega Evolution into the original contest mechanics. I just wish they had left the berry blender in, and maybe kept the limit on contest stats, since making them unlimited made it a little too easy.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    The graphics in ORAS are very amazing like XY. The feature of soaring after you get the Eon Flute from Steven is my favorite. I love listening to the music that's playing while soaring. I haven't been to any mirage islands yet but hopefully I will soon. I miss the berry blender kind of. It was fun to blend different ones and make Pokéblocks. I'm glad that mega evolution was added to the game. Seeing the Pokémon's appearance change is really cool (at least I think so). The character and gym redesigning is also really cool.

Years
  • Like the others have pointed out, 6th Gen's full-3D overworld is a huge graphical leap compared to what we've seen with previous games, and the result is the Hoenn region being viewed so differently to what it was before. The graphics now put even more detail into stuff, and there's some areas that changed drastically but others also keeping their original look.

The changes to game mechanics also changed the gameplay significantly, and adding new characters along with redesigning the ones from the originals also helped make the game keep its nostalgic feel while still being fresh.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Whilst saying 'The Graphics are better' is a cop out, it is true. Seeing my favourite Hoenn Pokemon in full 3D o's very welcome as is Mega Evolution.

Being able to catch numerous non Hoenn Pokemon in post-game is welcome too, as is the return of Pokemon Amie and the new Dexnav which makes chaining much easier.

Whilst the Delta Episode was underwhelming and Zinnia was a forgettable character, a post-game story was something that did not exist in the Original Hoenn Games and it's existence was an improvement.

The revamping of Contests was a big improvement for me. You could now take your Pokémon to a contest in full 3D and Lisia was a fun character. It also gave some welcome added background to Wallace.

yillbs

Billy Bob
    Years
  • I was kind of thinking the whole idea of watching a pokemon battle in actual 3D was pretty cool :p

Back