• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How did you beat Lance?

zommy08

Crimson Trainer
Years
  • 2 days ago I re-defeated Lance. (Hehheh, his Lv75 Pokémon weren't matches for my Lv58s :P). I made Tentacruel hold a Choice Scarf instead of Mystic Water so I could 2HKO Salamence with Ice Beam, now being faster than Mence. Garchomp went to half health with Ice Beam, then Tentacruel fainted to Outrage. Furret was sent in as Revive sacrifice so Tentacruel could beat Chomp with Ice Beam. Ampharos was used to lower Dragonite's Sp. Atk with Dragonite's own Draco Meteor (Ampharos completely walled him :)) then Tentacruel defeated him with (another) Ice Beam. Gyarados fell to a single Discharge when Ampharos survived Waterfall. Ampharos felll to two Earthquakes from Aerodactyl after getting one Discharge off on it. Tentacruel then defeated it with Surf. Charizard fell to two Surfs after using Flamethrower on Tentacruel. XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2010
    Why'd Charizard use Flamethrower on Tentacruel?

I noticed the E4 making bad decisions yesterday. For example, Will sent in Jynx when I had Typhlosion out and he still had 4 Pokemon left, including his Slowbro.

Storm_has_formed

"The Storm is here!!!"
    Years
  • They need to tweak the AI a bit. I wish they would have them switch their pokes mid-battle. It would be more challenging. Too many poor decisions are made by the trainers

AikuSeverin

Dark Trainer
    Years
  • Bruno was a bigger threat then Lance, though bruno couldnt get past my absol and me first
    as for Lance, my weavile with ice shard and ice punch took care of his 2 Dragonite and Salamence and Atlaria, the charizard fell victim to my speedy sharpedo, and his gyarados fell to toxi from skuntank, he wasnt that hard for, probably cause i have an ice type in the team

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
  • After losing 2 or 3 times to Lance's first Dragonite, I trained up a Steelix with Ice Fang. Unfortunately, as awesome as that Steelix turned out, it was still useless against Lance . . . so I just brought Ho-Oh with me the next time. I am ashamed, I never liked using legendaries, felt like cheating. But that made me realize that it can actually be quite fun to have a legendary with you.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • Dewgong basically swept with Ice Beam ^^. Rain Dance+Hydration+Rest helped a bit too.

When Gyarados came out, Raichu took care of him xD

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
  • Well, the rematches are nothing to me now, but the first time I fought him was tough. Since I don't transfer Pokémon over until after I get the National Dex, I had only Johto non-legendary Pokémon, and they were ranged level 43-49, with one Lv. 32 Ambipom. I remember having an easy time until his Dragonites came out, one-by-one, and each Dragonite costed me 1 or 2 Pokémon...

Towards the end, it was his Lv. 50 Dragonite and a weakened Charizard (yea, he switched out mid-battle for me) against my Lv. 45 Scizor, Lv. 43 Togetic, and my Lv. 32 Ambipom. xD Scizor took a huge chunk of the Dragonite's health before falling, and I sent out...my Pickup Ambipom~

I was really lucky I loved my Ambipom enough to EV-train it, as she ended up outspeeding Dragonite (Lance was out of Full Restores) and taking out Dragonite's small amount of remaining HP with Strength.

From there, I just had to finish off his Charizard and I was Champion...Have to say, that was one of my favorite in-game battles ever. It felt like the kind of battle Ash would have, where he seems like he has the advantage, then it all evens out until the end. x_x

Years
  • I still have nightmares from that battle.
    Even though my team were at levels where they could withstand even the toughest of attacks.. I wasn't balanced enough.
    His Dragonites took out the bulk of my pokemon... and the only one who could really defeat them. I had to sacrifice three pokemon to keep my strongest alive.
    So many revives, so many potions, so many berries, so many sprays.. ><
    Fight took ten minutes.
    But at the last minute my ampharos won ;__; I was so happy.

Aquerex

A New Beggining
    Years
  • Lance was somewhat easy.

For Gyarados, a lone Thunder from Raikou 1HKOd it.

For the Dragonites, I just used my Lv46 Feraligatr's Blizzard over and over again.

For Aerodactyl, I used Lugia's Hydro Pump with Raikou's Thunder.

For Charizard, again, Lugia's Hydro Pump with Raikou's Thunder.

Easy! =D

ichuesther

The girl with the Charizard.
    Years
  • The only pokemon i had trouble with was with Aerodactyl, and he was his second pokemon and it was hard because all of my pokemon were weak against either electric or rock type, so it would use thunder fang or rock slide(? i dont remember) and instead KO.
    But finally I got past him and won ;D
    Mostly with Typhlosion's blast burn cuz it dealt a lot of damage.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    This is from the second time I beat his rematch lineup. All my pokemon were around 67 or 68, and I had 5 at those levels: Charizard, Feraligatr, Skarmory, Tyrannitar, and Snorlax.

Salamence - Snorlax with a combo of its rest and full restores and withering it down. Eventually I ran out of body slams and ended up using Crunch, and rediscovering it can lower defense. Using an ether, I took it out with body slams after three defense decreases from crunch.
    Garchomp - Using Feraligatr, I used full restores to ward off fainting from its outrage, eventually it confused itself and I went in for the kill (faint) with Aqua Tail
    Gyarados - Much easier on my first try, but this time, I sent out Tyrannitar and used revives until my Tyrannitar's sandstorm effect took it out.
    Charizard - Ferligatr found it way to the battle again, Aqua Tailed it.
    Altaria - Much easier by this point. It does little to no damage to my Snorlax, so I took it out relatively quickly
    Dragonite - Surprisingly enough, easiest. It kept using Draco Meteor which had little effect on my Snorlax and its high Special Defense. The attack lowered its special attack, and it kept using special type attacks. Soon my Snorlax tied it up with a nice little bow.

Last edited:
    Years
  • My Jigglypuff was lv. 61 and everyone else in the near 50 range. But, Jigglypuff was the only one who knew anything (Ice Beam) which could take down his Dragonite, so it was pretty much:
    *Ice Beam
    *Switch
    *Heal Jigglypuff
    *Sacrifice
    *Repeat until finished

Thunder was there too.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2015
    Pinsir+Guillotine+Luck=Dead Dragons.

Oh, and my epic jolly Typhlosion Roll Outs.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • The first time I faced him, I was at Lv49. For the rematches, I was at Lv74.

Against the Dragonites, I would have Starmie use Psychic to soften them up, then Ice Beam for the kill. Same thing with Altaria during the rematch. For Salamence and Garchomp (2nd round) a simple Ice Beam alone was enough.

Against the likes of Gyarados, Charizard, and Aerodactyl, Ampharos and Discharge did the trick.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • i was awesome,
    i was like:
    'OMG look behind you Lance, a new species of dragon!!!!!'
    then we he turned around i stole all his pokeballs :D
    then he yelled at me :(
    so i knocked him unconcious with his dragonite and said i bet him :D

...my pokes are awesome :P

Danikamakaze

★ D a n d a n
    Years
  • I defeated Lance (first E4 run through) the moment I woke up (NDS was on stand-by all night on the charger)
    I was struggling since I thought I had NO pokemon strong enough that could learn an ice attack,
    so I trained my Miltank to lvl 43, but in the end realized my Lugia at the time could learn it, and wiped out the Elite 4 and Lance with a combination of Lugia, my Typhlosion Hades and my Ampharos Wickus.

I'm happily training my revamped (signature) team in Kanto :)

Back