• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen how did you beat the E4? (R/G/B/Y)

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    It's been awhile, so I don't quite remember, but I think I just used Blastoise the first time through (I didn't have a team back then). So, it was probably a Blastoise in the 60s or so that knew Surf, Hydro Pump, Water Gun, and Skull Bash. Yep, great move variety, I know.

In a subsequent playthrough, I attempted to create a "team" right before the Elite Four, but I hadn't trained it much. It looked something like:
    -Blastoise (lvl 60-ish?)
    -Zapdos (low 50s)
    -Articuno (low 50s)
    -Charmeleon (upper 20s/low 30s)
    -Ivysaur (upper 20s)
    -Snorlax (low 30s)

None of them had good moveset variety. I finally figured out that I could beat the Elite Four at much lower levels if I actually made a decent team, but I used to refuse to move Blastoise from the first slot in my party, which made it a little difficult to train my other Pokemon.

Years
  • It has been far too long. I can vaguely remember though.

Champ the Blastoise
    Piddles the Pidgeot
    Pig the Primeape
    Mr.Fish the Gyarados
    Jen the Raichu
    I think the last one was a Diglett or something.

I remember I had overtrained my Blastiose, and I had an affinity for bad nicknames.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I only remember my last time (last night), but I had a level 63 Raichu, 71 Mew (long story about getting him), 54 Sandslash, 54 Gyarados, 62 Dragonite, and a level 44 Snorlax

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
    Years
  • I've restarted Gold and Silver sooo many times, (Well actually, I had both games 'cuz two different people got me it for Christmas, so I always restarted with Gold and kept Silver with all my "awesome" Pokemon) but considering I didn't really know what I was doing at the time, (although I remember mainly sticking to Strength with a Feraligatr because it had stronger attack; some logic was there) I usually just muscled through it. I just overleveled and killed everything that way. Whoo. XD

CharizardManiac

First Gen Ultimate Trainer
    Years
  • I remember I got Pokemon Blue a few years ago (I was roughly 8 or 9 years old) and looking back on it now I realise I did the stupidest thing to do. So last night I was rummaging through my room and found my old Gameboy with the Pokemon blue cartridge inside and decided to play. I noticed I was at the Pokemon League about to take on the Elite Four (I guess I found it too difficult before). Before I battled Lorelei I quickly checked my Pokemon team and items. I had 81x Pokeballs, 12x Ultraballs, 4x Max Potions and 4x Revives. My Pokemon team consisted of a level 77 Venusaur, a level 38 Butterfree, a level 31 Hitmonchan, a level 14 Farfetch'd, a level 20 Pikachu and a level 18 Lapras. I had completely over-leveled my starter Pokemon and didn't bother training my other Pokemon. I was worried but decided to pull through and try. Eventually took down the entire Elite Four (including Gary) with only my Venusaur and Butterfree, with a small dose of help from my Lapras, and only using 2 Max Potions and 2 Revives. Not sure if it was luck or if it was because I now know how to utilize the moves of Pokemon more effectively (probably the second one :)).

Last edited:
    Years
  • I copyed Ash's anime team at the time. But actually evolved them lol.

Riachu
    Venusaur
    Charizard
    Blastoise
    Pidgeot
    Butterfree

All were in the 60's except Venusaur who was in the 70's, he was my starter in Blue.

I remember looking for hours in Viridian Forest for that Pikachu. After I beat the E4 a few times I found out about the MissingNO. cheat. After a few years I had all 151 Pokemon Legit, at level 100. I took me about 2 years to catch all of them, and rare candy each to level 100. And when I mean every pokemon, I mean EVERYONE. I had level a level 100 caterpie, magikarp, etc, etc. I wish I could find my Blue version :(

SpiralHorn

Feels like an old fart D:
    Years
  • The first time I ever played Pokemon, I used a team similar to the one recommended in the Prima guide. It was in my Blue game. I remember that I couldn't use the exact team that they had because I couldn't trade to get Alakazam. I don't really remember who all I had, but I do remember that I pretty much owned the entire E4 with Zapdos and Cloyster, lol.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2011
    My most recent Hall of Fame in Red version:
    Snorlax: Level 39- REALLY useful against Blue. Amnesia + Thunderbolt kicked ***.

Hypno: Level 38- Thanks to Psychic types being so broken, Hypno was able to beat Bruno without too much effort.

Nidoking: Level 38- My main Dragonite slayer, thanks to the Agility glitch and Ice Beam.

Fearow: Level 38- Pretty useful at taking out Blue's Executor and several of Agatha's pokemon (thanks to them having paper-thin Defense).

Venusaur: Level 38- Broken Razor Leaf FTW. Did a lot of damage against Lorelei and Bruno's Onixes.

Gyrados: Level 37- Blizzard to damage Lance's team, and Thunder to help sweep Lorelei.

As you can see, I was REALLY low leveled (I had made a bet with my friend that it was possible to beat the E4 under level 40). I also needed several items. I was pretty freaked out against Blue because I had forgotten that you can't heal on his floor, so I had 3 fainted Pokemon already. But in the end, Snorlax was able to cause a lot of damage and win me the championship.
    Did they finish at those levels or start at them? 0.0

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    i dont know levels but it was something like this in yellow
    Charizard
    Venusaur
    Blastoise
    an eeveelution
    Pidgeot
    Graverler

pumpkinziggy

Hunting for shiny Articuno
    Years
  • I think the only time where I was ever patient enough to actually get to the Elite Four on my Pokemon Blue, I was doing a solo with a Charizard. He was level 76 at the end, but I can't remember what level he was when I started.

However, I have been playing around with some things on Blue, and this time, I'm planning to beat the Elite Four with:
    - Venusaur
    - Blastoise
    - Machoke
    - Hitmonchan
    - Scyther
    - Nidoqueen

Cooker

As free as my hair
    Years
  • The first time I beat it, I had like a level 80 Charizard and just level 40 guys from Victory Road, untrained. I remember frustratedly having to restart many times (especially against the dragon guy 9_9) but somehow I won.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2011
    I had a Pikachu, Mew (Mew glitch), Charizard, Moltres, Blastoise, and Kangaskhan. They were all level 40-50 and Moltres topped my Pokemon at level 50.

Blastoise - Level 42
    Pikachu - Level 43
    Kangaskhan - Level 43
    Mew - Level 43
    Moltres - Level 50
    Charizard - Level 44

I had some Full Restores, Hyper Potions, Revives and Full heals that I collected throughout the adventure. They worked well as I used most of them.

Hallylicious

アラン
    Years
  • My first attempt on Yellow went a littly like this:

Pidgeot obliterated everything.

Yes my party was a Pidgeot level 96
    Pikachu level 20
    Lapras level 15
    and Hitmonlee at what ever level you get it at.

I caught Pidgeot as a pidgeotto in viridian forest.

Kitrigar

Butt Puncher
    Years
  • I was like 4 years old when I first beat the E4 in R/B/Y, so IIRC I had..

Charizard
    Dodrio
    Gyarados
    Scyther
    Porygon
    Kadabra

Years
  • The first time I beat the Elite 4 in Red, I had an entire team of level 100s because someone told me about the Missingno glitch, and I of course just had to try it out. I think my Nidoking did most of the "work", just because it was my favorite.

Years
  • I just rushed at the E4 with a full party of underlvled pokemon. And if my party was dead I rushed again to Lorelei all the time till I won the League. If I recall this good though. I forgot my party. n_n

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Heh, interesting story. For Red, I used the missingno cheat with rare candies to Level up my snorlax to lv100 and breezed though them all with no trouble at all. :D

Goatman56

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    I actually just beat Pokemon Green version today and my team for the Elite 4 was,

Raticate
    Scyther
    Poliwrath
    Lickitung
    Farfetch'd
    Alakazam.

All were level 64.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    I should revisit my Gold and post my elite four Pokemon here :D I started this file in like May so yeah...

Back