• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How did you defeat Whitney?

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years

miltank

Perhaps one of the most anticipated Pokémon in these games, and for good reason: it's got a history of kicking butt. There's a mixed bag about the "new Miltank." Some say that Whitney was a breeze, others say she's still horrific to take down. This thread isn't really about her toughness, though, it's about how you captured that Plain Badge.

Heard plenty of stories from people who were even prepared and still fell apart, and others of great, some funny, strategies to defeat her. That's where this thread was born, I wanna hear 'em. And hey, it might even help other trainers take her down too. :D

I'm interested in how people handled one of the most iconic leaders in this game. Of course, in HG/SS, there's a level drop compared to the original games, but that doesn't mean you failed to prepare, right?
tl;dr
How did you manage to beat Whitney? Good ol' haymaker style, a barrage of smokescreen and sand attack? Abuse of X items? Share your story, and yes, even your loss, if it happened. :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Whitney, for me, is one of the most anticipated gym leaders in all the game...

Debatably, I find that Whitney is the most difficult gym leader to defeat in any of the Pokémon game releases. Coming to defeat her often takes a single strategy. Some people find that winging it works better than strategizing her defeat, but in most cases, once you lose to her you realize that you need to do something different with the way you handeled the battle. And it isn't the battle itself that's difficult; it's her Miltank.

As for my strategy defeating it - at first I thought it was to overpower it. So I faught it thinking nothing of it... and I lost. I didn't want to let that happen again, so I took advantage of my Flaaffy's static ability and used that as my key towards defeating her. With the chances of paralyzing her Miltank, I combined that strategy with overhauling X stats; special and speed. I did so in my battle with her Clefairy, which is what I believe was put there for the purpose of preparing for Miltank. Other than that, it's pretty pointless of a Pokémon.

I took the time to use my X special to be sure that my ThunderShock would do the trick. I used about six or seven of those and then took down the Clefairy. When Miltank came out, lucky me, it attacked and got hit with that static ability on the spot. I was surprised because of how lucky I was for that. Then, I used ThunderShock and it... fainted. Hell yeah! I think I managed to defeat it so easily based on luck, though. Thankfully, my Flaaffy was a female and the attract attack wouldn't be able to do anything against it. I think if it did that, I would have been done for considering most of the time attract makes it so I can't attack at all since I'm somehow ALWAYS immobilized by love.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
  • Age 52
  • Utah
  • Seen Jul 27, 2010
I haven't gotten there yet, but I plan to take her down quite easily with Machoke. I have always found Whitney to be quite easy to beat as I typically will either have a Fighting-type in my team or on of my Pokemon will have a Fighting move at their disposal. In all my time of playing Pokemon I have never lost to her (of course I haven't any of the other gym leaders either), so unless SS has made her unusually more difficult, I don't forsee any problems. I will let you know how it went down.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I honestly don't remember. I just went through the motions and beat her try one. I'm fairly sure I didnt use Cyndaquil/Quilava, but the rest of my team with fast speed and STAB moves.

Mika

もえじゃないも
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 11, 2013
I beat her in the face with a gyarados that was and still is female.

Attract did nothing and even when I faced that Clefairy of hers I didn't get to see that move or anything remotely terrifying [Can we say level 8 Adamant Growlithe beat down? Yes I do believe we can. :>] to tell you the truth. I really didn't struggle with her nearly as much as I did in Gen II. o.o She didn't even use Rollout. Not once. o.o; Just stomp. Over and over and over again. I did however flinch every sixth move. >> Which annoyed me. But eh. She died. I got the badge, I moved on.

Years
The first time I just whacked her Pokemon with a Geodude.
The second time (I started over before my 4th badge) I whacked her Pokemon with my Pidgetto and Croconaw. A lot of bites coming from Croconaw. Stupid Attract.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
I relied on burning her Miltank of doom. Even though Attract incapacitated me (doesn't help my team is all male), the burn damage eventually killed it.

It was great and infuriating when my Togepi Metronomed Horn Drill. It hit, but she was a higher level than it... ;_;

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 17, 2023
well, i had a level 25 murkrow and i just sucker punch'ed and then superpowered it and she went down pretty fast...
the attract was very annoying though..

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
I did lose a couples a times to her, and her Attract screwed me over as well. (My party is all male. :/) That Onix that you can trade for a Bellsprout in Violet City is the only reason I won. Spam Harden and just quickly chip away at it's HP while waiting for the potion too. I was surprised she didn't spam Rollout as much as in the first game.

Benjamin510

The King of Typio's!
Years
  • Seen Jan 24, 2016
Simple Lost All My Pokes Except Onix, paralyzed It, I Used Rock Smash Alot Of Times But it Never Used Attract...

Last edited:

ryche

Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2017
I can't remember how I did it, but it was in one try while cursing at that dang miltank for its constant healing and attract. My team is also all male, thought I was the minority when I figured I would roll around with an all male squad

Butterfree-Charizard

Bug Type Master
Years
Well at the time my Quilava and Flaffy were way over powered like level 26 so I KOed it before it did anything to me.
Amazingly it was Bugsy that gave me trouble v=P

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
Years
Whitney, for me, wasn't a Gym Leader who I focused all my attention on early in the part of the game. Which is why I never really had much of a Pokémon to challenge her with around the time of Azalea Town, nor did I have much plans to raise anything well enough to defeat Whitney and her Miltank with. I had plans to just go on full attack against her, knowing I would have somewhat of a difficulty and if I had lost the first time around, then I wouldn't have been surprised. Though extra training would have been in order afterward.

Luckily and unknowingly, I came across a Pokémon who would help me out against Whitney without much plan in using it at first. While in the search for an Aipom on my team in Azalea Town after defeating Bugsy, I came across a Heracross early. At first not having much plans to use it, I realized it would be a great powerhouse for future use and more specifically for Whitney - as she was my upcoming challenge. So, it wasn't long before I decided to use Heracross on my main team, as well as Aipom who I caught not too long after.

As for my battle with Whitney, I really didn't want to make it all easy with Heracross and his newly learned move, Brick Break, too early in the battle. So, I decided to use Aipom against her Clefairy as well as her Miltank in the end. Sadly, Aipom couldn't compete against her all too well after a few rounds. That's when I decided to send Heracross out and spam Brick Break on her. It was an easy defeat after a couple of turns, but the win was mine, along with the Plain Badge too. :D Her Miltank overall I would say is definitely a lot more challenging that before in Silver or Crystal. Simply because I find this game more strategic than past generation games - i.e. RBYG, GSC, FRLG, but yeah, it was still a fun match.

As for my toughest match to date, it would be against Morty ... but that's a different story. ^^;

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
Charmeleon used Flamethrower on Clefairy.Then Milktank came out Bayleaf used reflec then switched to Flaaffy and Thunder waved (did a second thunder wave due to lum berry) then repeated thunder

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
Years
well i would always knock out her clefairy first but by the time i did that my stronger pokemon were weak so i decided i would use whirlwind to get the miltank out to defeat first and once i did that it was easy.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I didn't have any Pokemon prepared to fight Whitney. I knew about her Miltank, the legends and myths of it flying around forums since HG/SS was announced. But I still didn't walk into the Gym with a Pokemon that had any super effective moves, or with any strategy in mind.

My Flaaffy fell easily to her. Attract was the downfall. It would be. 3/3 of my Pokemon were male. (Darn you, team nickname themes!) Plus, poor Flaaffy was just plain weak. He's not as strong as my other Pokemon.

Fortunately, my Raticate that keeps appearing in my posts is strong. He was sent out to avenge Flaaffy. But an Attract and a few Stomps nearly took down Raticate. He retreated, and my Croconaw was sent out as a sort of sacrifice to allow me to heal Raticate. (Croconaw didn't mind that strategy.) Raticate returned to the battlefield, full of the will to win, and he brought down that Miltank.

What also helped is that Whitney used the Super Potion on her Clefairy, so it was gone before Miltank appeared. Milk Drink, on the other hand, was a massive PITA.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
Years
Before I faced Whitney, I made sure that the Machop I received from that trade was going to evolve. So, I basically EV trained her till she became a Machoke. I then traded Muscle to one of my friend's Gen. IV game and got a Machamp back. It was my trump card, the leader of my party. During most of the battles that took place in the gym, I mainly used Machamp to annihilate everything in her path.

So, after about five minutes of destruction, I finally came to Whitney. Feeling a bit cocky, I played my Quilava first. Bad mistake. Clefairy metronomeWater Pulse and O.K'ed Quilava. Oh well, Machamp could take care of them with a snap. Besides, my other Pokemons need leveling up. So, I took out my Kadabra. Kadabra used Reflect, but the damn Clefairy countered it with a Encore. So, for multiple turns, the Clefairy used Doubleslap and Metronome to kill Kadabra. Okay, it's time to take the gloves off. I finally chose to play Machamp. Killing the Clefairy was a breeze, but Whitney threw out Miltank.

This is where it really began. Machamp used Karate Chop, and Miltank's HP was cut in half. Mind you, this was an Adamant, EV trained Machamp. Oh, and this special Machamp is a female. Huh, amazing. Anyways, Miltank tried a Milk Drink, and it worked. So, I kept on using Karate Chop till a critical hit finally came and took Miltank down to a red. For some stupid reason, instead of using Milk Drink again, the damn Miltank attacked Machamp with a stomp. I laughed, and used Karate Chop again to win the battle.

Dreadnought

Imperador
Years
With the Machop you can trade for a Drowzee in the Goldenrod department store, I really did not have any trouble with Whitney like I did back in Gen 2. Though that stomp and attract definitely were annoying to get past, however once you do, Whitney generally falls pretty fast.

Back