• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How did you discover the Pokemon games?

Aethelstan

I find myself hilarious
    Years
    How I discovered the games? I saw my cousin playing his GBA so I asked what game he's playing. He said he's playing FireRed. If I remember correctly, he was at the Saffron Gym that time, and he couldn't figure out the teleport puzzle. I asked him if I could borrow and he said yes and I got him out of the maze. :D I was about 6 or 7 that time.

My story is surprisingly similar. I was around the same age, and I saw my cousin playing Blue. Instead of beating something for him, however, I started a new game with the promise that I would not save. I beat the first two gyms within an hour, bought my own Yellow version and have been mesmerized ever since. I still don't honestly know what about Pokemon I like. I just... like it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2012
    Two kids were battling each other on red and blue at school. Behind the pine trees, so that the teachers wouldn't see, I recall.

For the next year or so I begged my Mother to buy me a GameBoy (had to start somewhere, right?) and eventually, on my 7th birthday (2000) I got a GameBoy Advance. And a crappy game from my brother. Went to Toyworld and bought a Pokemon Yellow the next week. ;)

Years
    I can't say I remember how I started playing Pokemon..
    I think it was from the TV show, when I found out there was a game for it I just wanted it. I got Blue version and my big bro got Red version.

SPEEDIE

*Insert Random Joke Here*
    Years
    My friend was playing Sapphire and let me have a go
    After that i kept nagging my parents for a SP and a Pokemon Game
    For my 10th (I Think) Birthday I got A SP, Fire Red and Emerald
    and Have been hooked ever since

Now i'm waiting for platinum to come out (maybe living in Australia isn't that good)

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    I was walking in Kmart with my mum :D And I saw Pokemon Red...I was like :O, I'd been watching Pokemon on Cheese TV and you know, I had to have it. She put it on lay by and then a little while later I got it. I didn't put it down for a very, very long time.

SkieTheKitsune

Hi, I'm FoxMan! I physically cannot change my user
    Years
    I got a copy of Pokemon Red along with a Game Boy Color when I was about 5 or 6. This was a Christmas present, and it sparked my love for the game which hasn't changed since then. :D

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    My run has been running a daycare center in our house since I was 5 months old. A kid brought over a copy of Pokemon Blue shortly after it came out (He was spoiled to the core, always getting what he wanted).

As I got a much smaller allowance than most kids around my age recieved, I had to save up Money for over half a year to get an Atomic Purple Gameboy Color and Pokemon Yellow(It was released by the time I finished getting enough money).

I remember having this team:

Pikachu Lv.100
    Thunder
    Body Slam
    Mega Kick
    Thunderbolt

Butterfree Lv.55
    Tackle
    Gust
    Psybeam
    Mega Drain

Haunter Lv.58 (too attatched to evolve it)
    Hypnosis
    Confuse Ray
    Nightshade
    Dream Eater

Articuno Lv.100
    Blizzard
    Mist
    Fly
    Ice Beam

Omastar Lv.91 (I Didn't Evolve it until Level 90)
    Hydro Pump
    Horn Attack
    Surf
    Spike Cannon

Remember, Omanyte could learn both horn Attack and Spike Cannon wihtout evolving in RGBY, which is why it knew them before I evolved it

Dugtrio Lv.56
    Earthquake
    Dig
    Fissure
    Slash

I was quite the n00b back then XD

Years
    I saw my friend playing his gameboy color with pokemon blue. I asked him what it was, and bought it for my gameboy. Ever since I have played.

Years
    My parents banned me from video games when I was younger, but in middle school, my parents had a "who does Ash love more" battle, and that involved my mom sneakily buying me a Gameboy color and pokemon red to play in secret. :D

That battle escalated, and I got a lot cooler stuff than that, but that's a notable prize from that war. Up until getting platinum a few weeks ago, I hadn't played pokemon for 10 years.

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
    For me, I watched the Anime (around the 3rd quarter thru the first season) and played the trading card game when I could (and I'd play with the ones I knew how to read.)

I got Pokemon Gold about a year and a half after that, but I didn't know how to get out of my room...
    So when I DID get out of my room, I started playing Gold and Crystal like a maniac.

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    my friends/neighbors had Red and Blue and let me play without saving. then my parents got me Yellow for Christmas that year =D

Years
    Don't remember, but I think I started watching the anime first before actually starting the games. The anime made me want to be a trainer in games. x3

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I started watching the Anime when I was like... Five (Mount Moon episode ftw). However, I didn't start playing the games until I received my Pikachu/Pichu Gameboy, and both Gold and Silver for my birthday. Then it just went from there. 83

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    Oh, good memories. let see here... I was in the 3rd grade, I believe I was 9 or 10, I remember one of my friends mentioning Pokemon, I had no idea what it was but I remember it being discussed on the news as "satanic." Come Christmas time, I was given a turquoise GB Color and Silver version. I was hooked I played over 200 hours on that thing. Blew every dime I got on AA batteries.

Then one morning I was flipping though the channels at the baby sitters when I came across the anime seris. I was like OMFG, Pokemon is on the TV?!?!?!?!!?

Back