• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen How did you feel after playing them again?

Patriсk

warup warup, the sky!
Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2012
    Most of you now have probably experienced the majestic graphics, excellent features, and playability of the newer generations, mainly the 4th and 5th ones. After accidentally finding a RGBY or GSC cartridge, you wanted to try out the old games again. (supposedly)

How did you feel after years away from the older generations? Were you nostalgic or maybe disgusted by the graphics and speed or something else?

Lashh

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    At times I'll get slightly annoyed with the slow pace of the games and the fact that you don't have running shoes, but the bike fixes that just fine. Usually I do feel quite a bit of nostalgia playing through all the parts again, and playing through with different teams of Pokemon each time is pretty fun.

edit: haha dude we have the same name

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I just got annoyed when I didn't see any gender sign near my Pokemon names (Pokemon Red and Yellow) and when I didn't see my Pokemon have an animation in Pokemon Gold and SIlver. I just couldn't stand the fact on how slow my character was going and speaking of characters, I couldn't stand being a male in the game. I can safely say that I was grossed out my the graphics

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I haven't touched my older games in awhile. I don't have my Yellow version anymore, because I gave that to a friend's brother awhile ago, so all I have left are Crystal and Gold. I like looking back at the older games and seeing how far we have come since then, with graphics and music and just everything. It's really neat. I would definitely say that I get nostalgia from playing those games, as well.

I wouldn't say I get too annoyed by anything when I compare them to the newer generations. If anything, it would be the slower pace.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • It's lovely to go back and play the old games. The fact that the Pokemon don't have animations or that there aren't cutscenes does not bother me. I like the music and although the graphics are bad in comparison to newer games, you can't help but like them. So basically: nostalgia kicks in and nothing else matters.

Also, the fact that there are no genders makes it easier to nickname Pokemon. Though, having no abilities and the look of the summary screen does bug me on occasion.

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
    Years
  • I still love the first games most of all. Nothing can come close to them. The new games are missing something: memories. The pure nostalgia of the old games will always make them better than the newer ones.

When I played through Red completely for the first time in years, I would have to say it was one of the best experiences of my life.

Draganera

lolwhut? :D
    Years
  • My Pokémon Crystal is still on my Table, and I play it sometimes.
    It was my first Pokémon Game I ever played, and I still love it.

HG SS are great too, but they are nothing against this nostalgia feeling when I play Crystal. ~

Years
  • The nostalgia was there, the only thing that annoyed me was the graphics. I mean, I know they're supposed to be bad since they're old, but I just can't get used to them lol.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Nostalgia was there. Loved the graphics, music, everything. I'm one of them old folks that never gets tired of playing the old games, and that goes for more than just Pokemon. :) Old school or gtfo. jk jk...~

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • My Pokemon Blue Version replays often leave me uncomfortable and inconvenient (ex. no select feature, no bag organization, etc.), but they have their nostalgia value, and they often led me to find glitch pokemon, which always make me chuckle a bit. (h Poke used TM33... Good times)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Whenever I play Red or Silver again, the graphics and the music never get old to me. I grew up playing the game, and it's been a part of my life for a long time. Those, to me, were the gooood times.

사랑해

I'll back off so you can live.
    Years
  • I personally prefer the old games much more. I don't even know any of the new 5th Gen Poke's, but I still know the name of each and every Kanto and Johto Pokemon.

They've completely overdone it with the new games imo.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Unfortunately, I can't play my GBC games, well I can but they're old & I can't find my GBA SP. That's why I'm hoping they release them in the 3DS E-Shop!

c3rad

Grass-Type user
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2012
    I actually started a new file on my Red version today, and needless to say, I found it pretty amazing.

Yeah, the game is slower, but there's a certain charm to taking your time walking around. Yeah, the sprites are ugly, but I still think they're awesome.

My favorite part is that I don't have to worry about natures or abilities, or even genders; just makes it a whole bunch easier.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2021
    Orgasmic...that is all.

Having to add another sentence because my plain statement of the occurrences of what happens when I play Pokemon Red is apparently too short...get's me mad.

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
  • Running through Yellow again is awesome. The subpar graphics, the very repetitive music, the generic Pokemon roars... all of it is just great. Kind of makes me sad that not all my games are like that.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2011
    Well, i own all the original games, except for gold, which i lost. I actually have my friend's GS edition Gameboy Color. I decided that i would start playing again. The game i enjoy the most is Pokemon Crystal, old or new, in my opinion it is the best. The thing i like is the nostalgia, because silver, was one of my first pokemon games, alongside yellow. The terrible movement and lack of the ability to run annoys me. But at the same time the games posses a huge replay value. The graphics to me, are just funny/cool, as well as classic. Overall, HG/SS are great, but will never beat out the originals.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • eheehee, as we speak im playin crystal right now. the only thing that bothers me is that the pack cant hold alot. thats it! i love everything else. the graphics dont bother me too much, and it just feels right. when i play the new games, amazingly, i get bored more easily than when i play the old ones. pretty weird, but true! :D

Back