• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] How did you learn ASM?

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2014
    Hello guys!

I am a programmer for C/C++ and I never faced the assembly language. How did you learn it? With a tutorial or an instruction reference? Thanks in advance!

DarkenedEclipse

Project Oak
    Years
    Hello guys!

I am a programmer for C/C++ and I never faced the assembly language. How did you learn it? With a tutorial or an instruction reference? Thanks in advance!
    I had the same question too and I still do XD really just look up HackMew's knowledge on PC, there's a whole section where he talks about ASM

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    It was quite a few years ago now when I was still interested in Sonic games rather than Pokémon hacking, but as far as I can tell my learning ASM was essentially inhaling some of the reference materials from this old thread. I think it helped that the 68000 is a very friendly assembly language - ARM7 took a little getting used to, and stuff like the Z80 or Intel - basically anything with dedicated accumulator, index etc. registers rather than general-purpose ones - still scares me.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
    I started out hacking by studying how hex editing works and soon became familiar with hacking all kinds of data.
    Once I understood more about pointers, I realized every data I'm editing is pointed to from somewhere and by searching for those pointers, I noticed "something different" there. I knew this was some general code making the game do what it does and I could edit a bit of it (mostly asm instruction parameters) with a hex editor.

Later on, a person called Sawakita linked me a web page explaining the basics behind assembly of GB CPU and studying that, I figured how to write simple routines and after gaining more experience, figured out how to debug code and remake some of the original in-game routines and not just write new ones from scratch.

(Before all this, I had literally no programming experience although I have now. It all came naturally but it sure did take some time to learn as well.)

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2014
    Hey guys,

thanks for your answers. It took me 3 days, but now I can finally program in thumb ASM. It's not as hard as I thought. :)

Back