• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do I deal with Stealth Rock?

2Fruit

Aka 2Fruit
Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    I really like this forum so far!

Anyways, I recently did a random 3 on 3 battle with someone.

I was planning to have my encore/volt switch/focus punch/wish Raichu switch out with volt switch, because he sent out a gliscor.

I keep thinking Gliscor is poison/flying (because of that scorpion tail) so I wasted a turn trying to use volt switch while he used stealth rocks. I switched to Articuno But he lost half his health to the stealth rocks and got destroyed by a knockoff with a critical hit.

My emolga was out next and also took alot of rocks damage! I Didn't know rocks hit twice. Luckily Gliscor eventually switched out but my focus sash/protect/thunder wave/last resort strategy was ruined and I lost the match.

Are there any ways I could get by stealth rocks? I've heard about moves that get rid of them but I don't know any.

Years
  • I really like this forum so far!

Anyways, I recently did a random 3 on 3 battle with someone.

I was planning to have my encore/volt switch/focus punch/wish Raichu switch out with volt switch, because he sent out a gliscor.

I keep thinking Gliscor is poison/flying (because of that scorpion tail) so I wasted a turn trying to use volt switch while he used stealth rocks. I switched to Articuno But he lost half his health to the stealth rocks and got destroyed by a knockoff with a critical hit.

My emolga was out next and also took alot of rocks damage! I Didn't know rocks hit twice. Luckily Gliscor eventually switched out but my focus sash/protect/thunder wave/last resort strategy was ruined and I lost the match.

Are there any ways I could get by stealth rocks? I've heard about moves that get rid of them but I don't know any.

It's very simple. Either run a Pokemon with Rapid Spin, like Starmie, a Pokemon with Defog, like Mandibuzz, for example, a Pokemon with the ability Magic Guard, like Clefable, or a Pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce, like Mega Sableye. If you use Rapid Spin or Defog, Stealth Rocks, Spikes, Poison Spikes, Leech Seed, and Sticky Web will be removed. If you have a Pokemon with Magic Guard, it can only be hurt by actual attacks, so it will be immune to Stealth Rocks, and any other entry hazards. If you have a Pokemon with Magic Bounce, if your opponent tries to use Stealth Rocks on that Pokemon, the Stealth Rocks will be bounced back and your opponent will have to deal with the Stealth Rocks instead. Hope this helped.

2Fruit

Aka 2Fruit
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    Thanks.

Another question. Rapid spin is a normal type move. So will it still work if I use it and a ghost type comes into play?

Years
  • No. That's one of the advantages to having a Ghost type on your team, it can block Pokemon that try to use Rapid Spin to get rid of entry hazards.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Play doubles.

Lol just kidding. Stealth rocks really centralizes the meta game in singles though, and forces you to constantly keep it in mind. The most common method of dealing seems to be just forsaking things that are really hindered by it, as in Articuno, Charizard, Volcarona, and other rock weak things which receive lower tear rankings due to its prevalence. Just not using them because stealth rocks is everywhere. Or - since some of those are very viable still; being forced to carry someone on your team that can deal with the ever-present stealth rocks is another very common answer. Things like Blastoise, Starmie, Excadrill, and more receive significantly boosted usage due to their access to this one move which temporarily handles stealth rocks and thus become mandatory for competitive singles matches. There is also the option of defog, which gives Mandibuzz, Scizor, and Empoleon a reason to be used outside their non Defog sets, and other than that - there's really nothing you can do once stealth rocks is set up. You can, assuming you know a stealth rocks setter is about to use it, switch in something with Magic Bounce like Espeon or Xatu - but if you miscall their attack; it could very well cost you a great deal. So select one of those as a mandatory support my friend; or give up using any rock weak pokemon you have any attachment to in competitive singles.

timemagetim

Timemagetim
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2015
    Another option is to get a pokemon with a moveslot for magic coat the move form of the ability magic bounce.

2Fruit

Aka 2Fruit
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    That's cool.

I hope I never face rocks up with a ghost type with taunt. Are ghosts with taunt common?

Years
  • That's cool.

I hope I never face rocks up with a ghost type with taunt. Are ghosts with taunt common?

They're not the most common, but one that you will really have to watch out for is Sableye. Lots of people run Prankster Taunt Sableye, which makes it so all status moves it uses will get +1 priority, and therefore go first. Then the Sableye will usually go for Will-O-Wisp, which will make it even more of a pain. Most Sableye also run Recover, so be careful. Ways to counter this would be by running your own Prankster Pokemon and make sure it outspeeds the Sableye. A Pokemon like Whimsicott will almost surely outspeed Sableye. Whimsicott can also learn Taunt, so using Taunt would make it lose it's turn if it were to go for Taunt itself.

And remember, using Defog also gets rid of Stealth Rocks, and because it's a Flying type move, can hit Ghost types.

Pryze

Straight chillin
    Years
  • Yes, most Ghost-types run Taunt. Gengar, Jellicent, M-Bannette, Mismagius, ect ect all run Taunt; although, Gengar is the only one out of those that is really common in OU.

Anyway, my suggestion to you is to run a Rapid Spin/Defog user. Defog is more reliable, in that it can't be blocked by Ghost-types, but Rapid Spin doesn't clear their side of field as well. Rapid Spin also won't activate Defiant in Pokemon like Thundurus and Bisharp.

If you just really don't want to bring a Rapid Spin/Defog user, for whatever reason, then I would suggest running a Magic Bounce Poke like M-Diancie, Espeon, or M-Sableye. You could also run a team of Pokemon that doesn't mind Rocks at all, and also doesn't mind Sticky Web, Toxic Spikes or Spikes. Overall, running a Rapid Spin/Defog user is your best option. I'll go ahead and give you a list of good Rapid Spin/Defog users now:

Defensive Mandibuzz, defensive Zapdos, offensive Starmie (defensive works just as well), Crobat, Offensive Latios and/or Latias, Mew, defensive M-Scizor, defensive Skarmory, defensive Togekiss, defensive Tentacruel, defensive Forretress, offensive M-Blastoise or defensive Blastoise.

Last edited:
    Back