• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do the Comics compare with say the tv show

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
  • The only manga that I read across that has things from the anime is The electric Tale of Pikachu so maybe you should read that one, and you should read the Pokemon Special ones as well. For the most part the mangas are really good,

:t354:TG

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I've only read Pokemon Special. It's classic shonen stuff, and I used to think it was pretty cool when I was a kid. It's certainly darker than the anime, but I find it less... um... charming.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2010
    I always thought that the tv show was kinda cheesy...so that's why I started reading pokesupe. I mean seriously... You can predict Ash is going to win when certain music starts playing.

river_hunter979

The Graceful Assassin
    Years
  • Yeah, I read a lot of pkmn manga and it usually tends to be much darker than the anime. Also more mature than the anime, as in The Electrical Tale of Pikachu there is suggestive content, especially in the original japenese version. So yeah if ur looking for something more dark, mature, and deep try the manga.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    They are quite sure darker than the show, but also funnier, I also like the drawing style more . It is also more 'graphic' (if you can call a pokémon novel graphic) . Dont know about the later books though because I only have the first two(afaik they don't have the other ones in german , and I never bothered to get some english copies of them)

Drone94

Squirtle Rules!!!
    Years
  • Well I have read Vol. 1 and 2 and currently reading 3 and they are different for instance the main character in the manga is Red while on tv it's Ash also some gym leaders are from team rocket shocking I know it is black and whit but whatever you should try it

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    You MUST try reading it, especially Poke Special, it much better than TV show

Well I have read Vol. 1 and 2 and currently reading 3 and they are different for instance the main character in the manga is Red while on tv it's Ash also some gym leaders are from team rocket shocking I know it is black and whit but whatever you should try it

you know, you'd be shocker than that once you read vol 4 ( Red's missing!)

Years
  • OMGosh! I really really really really like the manga better than the anime. As everyone says it's a lot maturererer darker and well, just a lot interesting-er (in my opinion). For instance, the author leaves little hints or whatevers that later tie up the whole story. it's amazing. But i still sorta like the anime. I'm tryingto catch up with it (cause' i've missed so much of it). Red's a lot more interesting-er than Ash. and hotter *cough scratch that cough*

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • Don't some people own legendaries in the comics/manga? That's pretty annoying IMO. Correct me if I'm wrong. I only read a few of the really old ones and I didn't see legendaries in them. I just read something on another site (or book. I can't remember exactly where.) that says they have legendaries. For example, I'm sure Misty owns a Suicune in the comic that Red is in.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2016
    Don't some people own legendaries in the comics/manga? That's pretty annoying IMO. Correct me if I'm wrong. I only read a few of the really old ones and I didn't see legendaries in them. I just read something on another site (or book. I can't remember exactly where.) that says they have legendaries. For example, I'm sure Misty owns a Suicune in the comic that Red is in.

Well most(actually I think ALL) of the dex holders have been partnered up with at least 1 legendary. Like for example(if you haven't finished the R/B/G arc this MIGHT be a big spoilers in that arc.) Red captures Mewtwo when it was on a rampage and it ended up helping out Red later on(I don't know what because it was in the FR/LG arc and I only read the R/B/G arc so far. I get information on the dex holders from serebii since they made great profiles on them.)

Also, in G/S/C arc(These are also big spoilers if you haven't read the arc.), Green(girl) captured the legendary bird trio and Red teamed up with articuno as well as blue teamed up with zapdos during the "final battle"(Green teamed up with moltres if you couldn't figure that out on your own.) Also, what you said about Misty is true that she once teamed up with Suicune, but iirc, she gave it to crystal for the "final battle.

Hope this answers your question and hopefully didn't spoil too much.

Back