• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do YOU break stall?

Valarauca

I > U for all real values of U
Years
  • For my first serious post:

I find that having a team of very offensive pokemon allows me to normally scout out most a stall team early. Then when you know you have a check you simply lead the move that would do the most damage (see choice band tyranitar, or infernape), these gradual hits build up over time normally.

Also Liberal use of Dragon Dance on Gyarados breaks stall like a razor in rice paper

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    Also Liberal use of Dragon Dance on Gyarados breaks stall like a razor in rice paper

Gyarados, unless it runs Taunt and Rotom has already been removed is quite useless against stall. Most stall teams have SS and a spin blocker, so in affect your leftovers are nullified as well as Stealth Rock is going to wear you down considerably.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Most decent stall teams run a scarfer of their own like Tyranitar or Jirachi and sometimes even Rotom

TrickScarfers are actually quite good on stall teams as they usually prove a more reliable way at stopping last pokemon sweeps than Perish Song

Though Trick is very useful at crippling Blissey and friends

^

Scarf Tar is really fun to switch into these so called Trick <choice item> stall breakers because it locks them into Trick and you can just Pursuit them....lol

Ive Pursuited so many Jirachi too, its funny to lure them into Tricking by leading with a Steel wall so if you get in on Fire Punch or Trick, you win and it forces them to play mind games the entire match after then with you. Iron Head predicting tar = more spikes, Fire punch or Trick and they get Pursuited again.

Gyarados is OK vs stall, just because it doesnt have many counters or checks that are good and LO Gyarados is so powerful. Rotom, Celebi, Scarf Jirachi etc are prolly your best bests against it and are the most commonly seen tbh. SS + SR really wear on it though.

Valarauca

I > U for all real values of U
    Years
  • Gyarados, unless it runs Taunt and Rotom has already been removed is quite useless against stall. Most stall teams have SS and a spin blocker, so in affect your leftovers are nullified as well as Stealth Rock is going to wear you down considerably.

Sandstorms nullifies leftovers, but Stealth Rock only hits when I switch, and Dragon Dance isn't that useful if I'm dancing around. Liberal Use of Dragon Dance means about 3 or 4 at which point you are faster then a scarf'd Deoxys-S,and there are not counters, there are OHKO's

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Sandstorms nullifies leftovers, but Stealth Rock only hits when I switch, and Dragon Dance isn't that useful if I'm dancing around. Liberal Use of Dragon Dance means about 3 or 4 at which point you are faster then a scarf'd Deoxys-S,and there are not counters, there are OHKO's

If the person let you get in 3/4 they deserve to lose lol

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Did you post this because I was stalled earlier? ;o;

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Sandstorms nullifies leftovers, but Stealth Rock only hits when I switch, and Dragon Dance isn't that useful if I'm dancing around. Liberal Use of Dragon Dance means about 3 or 4 at which point you are faster then a scarf'd Deoxys-S,and there are not counters, there are OHKO's

Even though D_A covered this, I just wanted to point out that you're going to have to clarify what "liberal use" means in the future (and similar descriptions) because it's just way too broad to give us any idea of what you mean.

And yes, it's sort of a given that if you let something set up like crazy, it's going to sweep you lol.

I usually just abuse Trick, Explosion, and powerful attackers. It's nothing too specific usually, but stall teams tend to fall apart once Blissey dies, as it IS the most heavily relied on member on almost any stall team. And yes, I know Blissey carries Protect a lot. That's why I bait it into a false sense of security by not blowing up the first time I see a bulky pink blob opposing my Gengar lol.

Also, I totally disagree with D_A's assessment of Outrage Salamence not being able to beat stall. As a user of CBMence, I can tell you that the pressure is always on the opponent to pick the right switch-in, or he or she basically loses a Pokemon (whether or not it dies...40% Hippowdon isn't going to wall much lol). Even in the OP it says that no one Pokemon can beat stall, so writing off Outrage Salamence is kind of silly IMO, especially when stall teams become very vulnerable once even one member is dead. Salamence doesn't have to kill everything on its own, and in my experience it's a much more deadly sweeper than Infernape could ever dream of. Infernape has Toxic Spikes/frailty/Life Orb recoil being stalled out/inability to switch in on ANYTHING issues. D_A, I know you hate New MixMence to death, but as long as you use it correctly (in other words, you just switch out of Blissey and predict it coming in next time Mence is in--not that hard once you get used to playing with New MixMence), it's easily one of the top 5 or top 3 mixed sweepers in OU. As far as beating stall is concerned, it really is a great finisher with Draco and Outrage. That's something Classic MixMence can't really do at all, and it makes him a useful asset.

Beating stall for me is all about finding what sweeper has the best opportunity to win the battle and then weakening or eliminating its checks and counters. It's pretty easy to overwhelm stall teams really, but if it's played really well, they're always pretty annoying to beat...but certainly not impossible. I basically always beat ObiStall though since...it totally sucks? lol

boo836

I'm back?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2009
    Super Fang, U-Turn, Torment, Protect Crobat is great to use against stall. Bringing down a wall's Hp by half is considered today as great, and very few Pokemon can do that. However, you should be using this with entry hazards, or else the opponent can switch without trouble. And pairing it up with Dugtrio or Tyranitar makes it even better. Any Pursuiter or trapper will take care of almost any wall because of the inability to switch.

Years
  • Well the way I broke imperfect lucks stall team few weeks back when I used to shoddy alot was fight as long as I could hold up with my bulky pokes and try and setup my 2 setup pokes on my team.SD luke and DDmence(yache)eventually from nowhere I find myself stiitng at +2 with mence cause DDed on the switch and yache saved me from an Ice beam from swampy.Next thing I Predict forry switch and nab a kill with FB/.Outrage 3 turns in a row and its easy from there.
    This was like 2 or 3 months ago so I dont know how this is relavent but whatever.
    Now that honchkrow has bravebird.maybe he will play a role in breaking UU stall and to an extent OU?
    Anyways mence is probably the most effective single pokemon to help break stall IMO.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Yeah you could of just Outraged anyway because he uses + Sp.Def Nature Forry which is kinda foolish because DD LO Outrage 2hko's it rofl.

I actually think he plays around Mence usually though with Intimidate Gyara + Swampert + Forry.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    My CBTar critted Panamaxis' Skarmory. Nuff said

But I also 4-0ed and 3-0ed him, though he has beaten me twice

tbh

Stall can just be stopped by removing their core (most of the time Blissey) as Anti said. With Taunt Explode Heatrans and Gengars etc

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Haha. I don't break stall; I use stall. ;] But in all seriousness, I haven't been on Shoddy in a long time, so I can't really say how I'd counter it. I know I failed miserably against a Sub-Seed Jumpluff with my stall team, though.

Salvation

To be saved.
    Years
  • Did you post this because I was stalled earlier? ;o;

You mean the one where I beat you ?

Anyways, I haven't played a lot lately but I usually beat it with Trick and Explosion. Using sweepers with common counters also helps me break through a member of a team letting me get through to the rest.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    The reason Outrage Mix Mence isnt good against stall is because it RELIEVES the offensive pressure. It gives Forry and Skarm a chance to come in and spin away that SR, set their own Hazards up and do what ever they want. New Mixmence also loses 41% of its health JUST from attacking once (SS+LO+SR). That also puts you in Brave Bird range for Skarm...lol

I use Bold blissey
    Spoiler:
    and Outrage doesnt come anywhere close to OHKOing (47.2% - 55.8% <-- 16 att neutral mixmence aka the new standard vs 252 def/0 hp Bold blissey and vs calm it does 51.6% - 60.8%, not exactly the end of the world bliss can still wall after this) so even if you predict correctly i still have like 90 other things that can take the weak Outrage after and then set up.

Really Classic Mixmence is 1000000x a better stall breaker than new mence is, mainly because it doesnt basically sign itself up to a death warrant by locking itself in and can Roost off SR damage so it can actually stick around.

Even DD Mence is a better stall breaker than New Mixmence is, mainly because of the new fad of Sp.Def Careful Forry (Relaxed Max sp.def is btw since it doesnt get 2hko'd by DD LO Outrage and CB Weavile Low Kick) who gets, as said, 2hko'd by that same DD LO Outrage. It also cant be revenged and doesnt nerf itself after attacking (-2 sp.att and/or locked into a WEAK rage).

New Mixmence is prolly better against bulky offense or maybe not but this thread is about what breaks stall so thats irrelevant.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2012
    Well the way I broke imperfect lucks stall team few weeks back when I used to shoddy alot was fight as long as I could hold up with my bulky pokes and try and setup my 2 setup pokes on my team.SD luke and DDmence(yache)eventually from nowhere I find myself stiitng at +2 with mence cause DDed on the switch and yache saved me from an Ice beam from swampy.Next thing I Predict forry switch and nab a kill with FB/.Outrage 3 turns in a row and its easy from there.
    This was like 2 or 3 months ago so I dont know how this is relavent but whatever.

My CBTar critted Panamaxis' Skarmory. Nuff said

But I also 4-0ed and 3-0ed him, though he has beaten me twice

You mean the one where I beat you ?

I'm guessing this thread turned into "I BEAT A GOOD PLAYER AND IM GONNA BRAG ON PC. I R BIG MAN" ?__?

Here's an interesting question: What tier do you guys find stall the hardest to break? I personally find Uber stall teams easy to plow through, though the likes of UU and OU are a tad harder (I would say OU is harder to get by, but it's really pretty close). Anyways, as far as a universal (multi-tier) stall-breaker goes, the most effective one is definately Taunt (yes D_A, Taunt). Once you Taunt their main source of damage (residual) is stopped, they literally have very little to do back and are open for you to start tearing them to pieces...

...Obligatory I BEET LIMITLESS AND KEVIN GARRET 3 TIMES!!!!oneONEoneone.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    A set that isnt seen too much but it catching on alot in UU to break stall is this

Mismagius (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
    Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
    - Shadow Ball
    - Pain Split
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt

Not alot on stall can deal with this, period, when played well even in OU.

Obligatory i beat you all !!11fifty^__^ lol

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2012
    A set that isnt seen too much but it catching on alot in UU to break stall is this

Mismagius (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
    Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
    - Shadow Ball
    - Pain Split
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt

Not alot on stall can deal with this, period, when played well even in OU.

Obligatory i beat you all !!11fifty^__^ lol

To be honest, while that set is pretty decent at stopping stall teams, I would run a bit more Speed, primarily to get the Will O Wisp on Adamant Drapion and such before they Pursuit me. It helps vs. balance and offense too, which makes it overall more useful than just a plain "stall stopper" since then vs. offense or balance, you basically play 5-6.

@ Bold

Noob, you're RaikouLover team lost 10 times to Team Hits like a Nuke (better than Pokedra in every way!) :bandit:

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    also, someone was braggin so I joined in

I find UU stall VERY hard to break

EDIT: I also beat the whole Fire Red Elite 4 with my Mewtwo without items

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2012
    also, someone was braggin so I joined in

I find UU stall VERY hard to break

EDIT: I also beat the whole Fire Red Elite 4 with my Mewtwo without items

Impossible! :shocked: HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH that has to be the best post in this entire thread. Ahh that made my day =)

Anyway, with that aside, I agree UU stall is very difficult to break. I can't really explain why, but the likes of Registeel itself covers so many threats specially based it's not even funny =( Altaria, Milotic, etc...are all great choices to handle Blaziken as well, so it's not like there's one thing can dent the team significantly. It's either this or I just suck at UU =(

Back