• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Do you celebrate St Pattys day? if at all?

ProGuava

ʇnoɥs puɐ ʇsıʍʇ
Years
  • I know many people have different views about St Patrick's Day and I want to know your opinions about it and how you celebrate it!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't really know St. Patrick's Day's purpose other than to celebrate a saint. But I celebrate it by wearing green. This year, I forgot it was St. Patrick's Day, yet I wore green anyway.

Years
  • I usually remember 'oh crap! i forgot about st. davids day again' and then be all annoyed that the daffodils in my garden went to waste x]
    I'm not irish so i don't see the point of claiming to be irish in any way and use it as an excuse to get drunk.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Who the heck is St. Patty?
    Anyway, I generally avoid going into town on the given day, because it's a ridiculous drunken mess in which you'll need to stuff your money into your socks for because it gets pretty rough. In saying that, I went in for a meal, and it was like world war 3, there were cop cars flying around the streets, ambulances going all over, men beating other men with ridiculously sized ice cream cones, people wearing bikini's around town at 10 at night. And this was what I seen in a brisk walk from the bus stop to the restaurant, which was a pretty short stint.

At any rate, it's a disgrace of a holiday, in Ireland at least. I'm not one to pass up the chance for a night out, but even this surpasses my opinion of a good night out. I'd rather be at home with a few cans and some good company than go and follow tradition, despite my roots. My opinion is that it has simply become a holiday, raped by traditional stereotypes, and what makes it worse is that most Irish people go along with it. I'm no Grinch (heh, green), but I still think that it has gotten a little out of hand. I'm not religious either, but this is a holiday to represent a sober saint, apparently. Just because it's an Irish saint, shouldn't merit the excuse for the entire world to see it as a time in which we all get ossified on alcohol and completely have no regard for public presentation.

At any rate, it's not all bad, but really it has been just taken over the edge, when I look at it from first hand experience, in the country it has originated from.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Who the heck is St. Patty?

"Saint Patricia of Naples is an Italian virgin martyr and saint. Tradition states that she was noble; she may have been related to the Roman Emperor. Some sources say that she was a descendant of Constantine the Great." (The great tome of knowledge that is Wikipedia) I highly doubt the noble St. Patricia would want her name sullied with what's become of the feast day of St. Paddy a.k.a. St. Patrick.

I celebrate(d) St. Patrick's Day like I celebrate all other saints' days: by doing what I'd normally do on that given day. If other people happen to be enjoying themselves why consuming copious amounts of alcohol, that's their doing.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Personally, I think using St.Patricks day as an excuse to get drunk is just reinforcing the stereotype of "You're Irish? Get drunk!"

Also, I think it's stupid the think that you inherit a nationality. So I do nothing for St.Patricks day, besides realize that St.Patrick was a pretty awesome person. :P

Years
  • It's an excuse for bad behavior - getting falling-down drunk in the middle of the week is extra trashy - and only reinforces stereotypes. One of the worst holidays we have.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    No one in this country celebrates St. Patrick's day, despite being neighbours with the country who's patron saint he is anyway. I mean sure people say; "Hey, it's St.Patrick's day", but it's not an excuse to wear green and get hammered like in America.
    For that matter, no one in this country even celebrates St. Georges day.

Years
  • "Saint Patricia of Naples is an Italian virgin martyr and saint. Tradition states that she was noble; she may have been related to the Roman Emperor. Some sources say that she was a descendant of Constantine the Great." (The great tome of knowledge that is Wikipedia) I highly doubt the noble St. Patricia would want her name sullied with what's become of the feast day of St. Paddy a.k.a. St. Patrick.

A lot of Americans know St. Patrick only as Saint Patty, which is just as common a nickname for Patrick as Paddy is here in the States. mostly because most Americans can't spell

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I don't celebrate it at all. In fact, I completely forgot about it. :(

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    How do I celebrate St. Patrick's Day? I don't. :D It's just a silly excuse for people to get drunk imo. I've never had St. Patrick's Day spirit, so it's really just another day in my life for me.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I celebrate St. Patrick's Day in the spirit of Saint Patrick; by bringing Catholicism to all of my friends and driving atheists and pagans out of the neighborhood. If I even remember the holiday exists of course.

Last edited:

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • Well, I can tell you how my teacher celebrates St. Patrick's Day...

Actually, no I can't. Let's just say, everyone was in shock that she showed up today. Much less showed up sober.

She's Irish, born and raised, so it's okay.

Though she does sound so utterly perplexed whenever she talks about American St. Patrick's Day traditions.

As for me?

Marching in the city parade with my high school band, and then going back to my suburban neighborhood, where all of .5 people remember.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • My step-dad is from Ireland. So I know everything and anything about St. Patrick's Day. He gets offended if people say St. Paddy, as calling anyone from Ireland a "Paddy" is very offensive and is basically calling them the equivalant of the n-word.

On St. Patrick's day we get a lecture of why we celebrate it and we must eat corn beef, cabbage, and potatos for dinner. We also wear green, but he doesn't get the whole pinching thing. It's more of an Irish pride.

Also, he doesn't "get crunk". He drinks maybe one guiness on that day and that's it. Even my extended family in Ireland don't understand why Americans get drunk and are all "kiss me I'm Irish!". It's really offensive to them, and I can see why.

It's like, why do non-mexicans celebrate Cinco de Mayo. That's their indepence day, not ours. :T

Psysaturn

Saturn: 2365 5097 2444
    Years
  • Its an excuse to get decked out in vibrantly colored green clothing and dye my hair bright green.

Apart from that, its the one day I allow myself to drink and I usually go all out. (Did this time, for sure)

Anthraxinsoup

Professional Vidya Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    I'm of Irish-Danish stock, but I celebrate it by being proud, and being raised as a Catholic like most Irish people, and Most people from Poland, I know who Saint Patrick was.

chef30

Great Scott!!!
    Years
  • How my mom and dad and me and my brother did it this year was: (1) My mom read the story of why we celebrate St. Patrick's Day. (2) My dad bought mint chocolate chip ice cream, green frosted cupcakes, sugar cookies with green sugar on them, green food coloring, and lime flavor jello powder. (3) We cut up an apple and my mom got the apple a little bit wet and she sprinkled the jello powder on them (flesh side up skin side down) and they started to turn green. (4) We added green food coloring to my dad's beer and our soda (u can use water or apple juice or whatever u want, one drop only, be careful because it's a dye u can eat) and the soda and beer turned green. (5) We had cupcakes, ice cream, and cookies. And we all wore green. That was the best St. Patrick's day ever for me! :D

Years
  • ^^ That sounds like awesome fun, and really yummy! :)

Over here people tend to wear green, go watch the rugby, go to the parade and get drunk. This year I wore green and just watched the rugby on TV lol :)

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • Living in the Republic, I have a pretty good idea of St. Patrick's day proceedings. I can't say much for the American celebrations, but its wrong of anyone, who has never actually been to an Irish St. Paddy's Day celebration IN Ireland, to stereotype that EVERYBODY gets absolutely drunk out of their minds. Sure, a lot of people do. But not everyone.

Also, he doesn't "get crunk". He drinks maybe one guiness on that day and that's it. Even my extended family in Ireland don't understand why Americans get drunk and are all "kiss me I'm Irish!". It's really offensive to them, and I can see why.

Agreed. I know that a lot of Americans are of Irish decent because of the immigration of Irish people during the Potato Famine, so I guess that's why they celebrate it.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Well last year I was in Dominican Republic for St Patrick's Day so...I went about the day just like I did the other 6 days I was there: got drunk. lol

But this year I didn't drink at all! I decided to smoke a joint instead. And my reasoning was this: what's greener, beer or pot?

was fun :D

Back