• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How do YOU choose a team?

RyanM23

Ryan Beeeyyy
Years
    • Seen May 30, 2016
    If you're talking about a competitive battling team, then i would make sure to have the following things: Diversity, A counter for every type, a counter for every strategy, A Good Defensive strategy (Light Screen, Protect, Substitute, Barrier)

But if your talking a team just to use in game, i would choose it just by what pokemon i really like and think are cool...

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2013
    I've always decided based on the situation, figuring out what's best through trial and error. Never been one to fuss over how a Pokemon looks. When it comes to initial team building I'll always go for a balance, but I'll change things around if a particular Gym is causing me trouble. There's experience too. Been playing Pokemon since Blue, so there's that part of my brain where I can pick up an iteration of the game and just know what to do.

Playing Y for example, I've always been a fan of the water starter so I went for Froakie. I knew I'd be collecting that Torchic asap so inevitably I picked up Bulbasaur from the Professor. Quite quickly my initial team formed up and remained until the end.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I chose my teams the same way I always choose when I'm going without a challenge in mind - My favorites and that they are catchable in that version of the game (so in my X team I have 3 Pokemon based on weasels, 2 Pokemon based on cats, and what ever Chespin/Quilladin/Chestnaught is based on) - I'll try and find a way to make it work (the normal types can learn various attacks from other types so I'm sort of covered).

Even if I struggle all the way pass the E4, I don't mind, I'll take on the challenge. I always chose favorites over stats or power.

Years
  • I always choose just three Pokémon to always carry with me, so I can rotate through the other three.
    This game, those three were Pikachu, Ralts and Chespin. Later I switched Chespin with Yveltal, though.
    The rest what I take with me are Pokémon who seem interesting, primarily the new ones.

DynalMaestro

Eater Of Worlds
    Years
  • What i do is find a good pokemon slap a sticker of my face on that pokemon,claimmit as mine and put it on my team.But what i actually do is find a pokemon i like,capture it,and find a way for it to suit my team

Faye Rose~

Resilient
    Years
  • I usually start out with a trio of Fire, Water, and Electric because between them they can hit most things in-game for super effective damage. Then I choose 1-2 'utility' Pokemon that have high attack power and can hit things my main trio can't hit for super effective damage (electric types for example) And then the last spot(s) are usually HM slaves because I don't like putting sub-par HMs like Cut on my main battling Pokemon.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • The way I select a team is by a variety of typings (I wish I had all three starters). I usually choose a favorite, and then work round its weaknesses by choosing Pokemon with other typings. I usually box HM slaves (unless they are STAB or high-powered moves such as Fly, Waterfall or Surf)

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    I usually decide on a flying and water type before hand, and also I look at the starters, which could take up my water type(I go based on looks and if it had a secondary typing). Then I just decide my team as I go along, whether I like how a pokemon looks or a typing a poké has. Recently, for the last few generations (including 6th gen) I have looked at its natures. So I pick the best nature for the Pokémon as well, even if I had to catch 60 of them to get a decent nature.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    1. Typing. I want the opportunity for STAB damage with 12 different types.

2. Stat balance. Aside from fitting in type, I won't use a Pokemon that is statistically ineffective. I prefer Pokemon that evolve at least once.

3. Style. If there are 2 Pokemon that both fit a particular niche on my team, I'll just pick the one I like most OR I'll pick the one I have never used. I don't like to use the same Pokemon twice.

And that's pretty much it!

DuckSwimmer

Video Editor~
    Years
  • I usually always have a Fire, Water and Grass type trio. For the other three, I just observe what other types seem to be strong and what moves seem more powerful/inflect more damage on the opponent and go from there.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    for just in game use, i use a pickup team. they get me stuff (really good for EV training and chaining), they're great HM slaves, and they usually aren't so strong that it makes the game too easy.

Years
  • when i'm doing a playthrough of a brand new gen, i usually try to compose my team of only the new generation pokemon. but sometimes i'll stray if there isn't enough balance.

i tend to pick the cutesier looking pokemon but usually i'll try and make sure i have enough to counter each type i face just in case i get stuck in a gym or area where i desperately need it.

i dunno, i'm pretty vanilla in that regard. uvu;;;

CyanideEspeon

Strange Woman
    Years
  • I like to use my starter, gift Pokémon, Pokémon you encounter throughout the story (like the Snorlax you wake up,) event Pokémon, and Pokémon from NPC trades.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Try to cram some of my favorites on a team while keeping some sort of balance. Tentacruel, Volcarona and Haxorus are all things I have taken a liking to, and they balance very well. For competitive teams like Rain, DragMag, etc, there isn't much of a thought process really. Tyranitar is boss though, he's been my favorite since I was little and I find a way to work him onto everything as long as his Sand Stream isn't counter productive to the team.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I take the following things in account:

-Typing. I never have more than two Pokemon of the same type on my team. Also, I don't want to have more than three Pokemon that share a certain weakness.
    -Movepools. I make sure to hit almost every Pokemon for super effective damage. Therefore, I tend to pick Pokemon with a good chunk of coverage moves over Pokemon with shallow movepools.
    -Overall opinion. I don't mind using stuff like Raichu, Chandelure, and Tyranitar over and over again, but I REFUSE to use stuff like Basculin, Emolga, and Farfetch'd.
    -Legendaries. Most of the time, I don't use them, but if I do, I use non-Uber legendaries, like Zapdos, Suicune, and Terrakion.

Also, I always fully evolve my Pokemon before taking on the Elite Four.

Back