• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how do you choose your favorite Pokémon?

Moltres Rider

Banned
    Years
    how do you choose your favorite Pokémon? by stat? by design? by looks? by type? by size? etc. what do you look for in Pokémon when choosing your favorites?

I usually go by looks or design, if I have any type of physical attraction to a Pokémon, usually it is a favorite Pokémon for me.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    For me its by design - mostly on the animal the Pokemon is based on.

All my top favorite Pokemon (exception of Leafeon though) are based on animals I love, mustelids (especially otters and weasels) and felines - any Pokemon resembling those two are always high in my favorite list - doesn't matter type or stats. Eventually I will find a way to make them work, and I plan the rest of my team around them.

Years
    For me its a mixture. If a pokemon looks cool its more likely to go into my team - if they happen to be powerful then thats an added bonus ;)

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2013
    I don't have a favorite Pokemon, only favorites. I tend to like them by their abilities, unique qualities, strange features or otherwise abnormal nature. I could never find a favorite Pokemon simply by appearance, but only through their substance as to what makes them unique. I will now list some favorites: Shuckle, Garbodor, Smeargle, Zoroark, Galvantula, Stunfisk, Butterfree, Sableye, Snorlax, Miltank, Shedinja, Ninjask, Ditto, Rampardos, Scrafty, Mr. Mime, Steelix, etc.

Years
    I choose my favorite Pokemon through design, of course, and then I would check if the size is decent enough. Lastly, I would check if the Pokemon has done anything special in the anime.

Years
    I, too, choose through looks and design. And sometimes on rare occasion I will choose by abilities and strength.

Syltti

Lilligant's Loving Trainer
    Years
    Looks and design. Lilligant, Meloetta, Gardevoir, Absol, Latias.. So many more. Most of the time, they tend to be strong or useful in battle.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I use looks, design and strength when picking my mons...I think Reuniclus is both cute and strong, while a Pokemon such as Rhyperior has immense physical strength, but I don't really like its appearance.

Years
    Rarely do I have any of my favorites come from their designs- it's not usually until after I've started using them in the games when they start to grow on me. At that point, both how they look and how they perform factor in to them becoming one of my favorites, with most of my favorites falling under both of those categories (there are exceptions, like Umbreon and Sigilyph, who only fall under one of those categories).

Sirfetch’d

ONLY GETS MY APPROVAL IF ADORABLE <33333333 No usually Pokemon just grow on me by using them. Yes looks play a factor, but if I find a Pokemon to be really useful and powerful I will consider it one of my favorites even if it's not the best looking one out there.

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2024
    I tend to decide based on how they're designed and characterised in the different Pokemon media, and what significance they gain for me in the games. I'm quite fond of Graveler simply because I'd happened to capture a Geodude in Yellow and it ended up becoming one of my main Pokemon, whereas I love Psyduck and Slowpoke because they both look and are characterised as being really dopey and slow witted.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
    I choose my favs based on three factors: How tough/interesting they look, how cool their backstory/pokedex entry is, and how high their stats are.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Almost always by design. I think the only Pokémon that I like whose design I don't like is Cherubi. (I like it for being the pre-evolution of Cherrim.)

I generally like cute or weird Pokémon. So I love the hell out of Cherrim, Pichu and Probopass but typically "cool" Pokémon like Garchomp do nothing for me.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    Most Pokemon are my "Favorite". If I had to pick one, I would make a Top 100 List.

My Favorite aren't strong in battle, but capture my imagination. Aggron is very power on paper, but almost any Pokemon can OHKO him. (he can take an Explosion to the face.)

I have a lot of Favorites.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I mainly choose on how much of an impact they've had on me in-game. If they were really fun to use and I enjoyed trying them out, they automatically become one of my favourites. I also choose on how adorable they are, if I like how they look or not and if they have an interesting concept behind them.

Years
    I mainly choose my favorites based on looks, and if it's one of my fave types it makes me love it even more. I know a lot of Water-types make it onto my favorites list due to the fact Water is my favorite Pokemon type. And also if the Pokemon has good-looking evolved forms, another reason why I love Oshawott so much.

Squidchan

The Lady Cthulhu
    Years
    My favourites are based on appearance, size, or potential to be used in a story that describes their background well.

Examples for appearance would be Raichu, Arcanine, Eevee(lutions).

Examples for size would be Camerupt, Aggron, Dragonite.

Examples for story potential would be Absol, Victreebel, Slowpoke, Yamask and Cofigragus(sp?).

I have more, of course, but far too many to list.

Back