• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you choose your party?

Acrutheo

The boundless night~
    Years
    When going through the game, type diversity and easiness of attainment (ie. being closer to the start) are the main factors. Once I've finished the game, I'll usually go through and change my team to have more of my favourites.

Decypher

Craig Marshall
    Years
    Usually I just go with Pokemon that have the highest levels out of the ones I've leveled up, and ones that have HMs.

Moonlit Umbreon

Elusive Within The Shadows
    Years
    Wow, tough question... D:

Well in Blue version right through to Gold and Emerald, the Pokemon I used to use mostly all the time were the starters, because, number one - they were stronger, and number two - they leveled up faster than my other Pokemon. Since starting Pearl I soon came to realise that Pokemon I caught in the wild leveled up just as quicker, but took more time and effort to do so. :0

I level up Pokemon so that firstly - they can evolve (if eligible of course), secondly - they can become stronger in learning new moves, and thirdly - so that we can form a stronger bond. However, the Pokemon that stay in my party, are the Pokemon I have taken great favoritism to, in their looks, type/s, moves they can learn, and personality, or simply because they relate alot to me. ^^

My recent Pokemon I have taken a liking to is my Eevee (obtained from Bebe) because of it's personality! It's nature's naive, and it likes running (just like me), I'm still tapping my head over what I'm going to evolve it into because there are 7 ev's after all. =3

Years
    i pretty much just use the pokemon that i think are pretty D:
    buuut i make sure that their decently strong.
    andd i need to have different types.. orr thats just not cool.
    i need a fire, water, flying, and dark pokemon.. then the other 2 are kinda random. x)
    and i dont really like training rare pokemon for some odd reasonnn.. xD

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2012
    i pick teams using a 2 pronged approach

on one side i need to have one of each of these:

1 a good annoyer
    2 a good hazer
    3 a good physical sweeper
    4 a good special sweeper
    5 a good pokemon that can batton pass/set up a good sweep (sometimes incorporated into my hazer)
    5 a good tank, something that can take a few hits.

i also try to cover many type weaknesses, spiritomb is good for this.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    I base it on two things- competetive strategy and aesthetics. Being a competetive player of moderate skill (When my wifi works), i only use pokemon that can actually battle- there's no point using a poke if it's going to die in four seconds. However I only use those i like, and won't sell out to those that look terrible despite theri strength (Gives garchomp evils ¬¬)

D-puff

Wooper Expert
    Years
    I try to pick a pokemon thats good for every type situation by picking a lot of double types. I try to pick my favorites, but depending on the game i just pick whichever is best. for example, a good ruby/sapphire team (i say that cause i havnt played d/p yet) would be; Tropius, Medicham, Walrien, Camerupt, Magniton, and Armaldo. That way you have water, grass, fire, electric, ground, steal, phychic, fighting, flying, ice, rock, and bug; all in one team. Then you just take out whatever can destroy or defend the best in the situation.
    Otherwise i try to pick my favorites, but thats kinda hard, cause my dream team stretches from rby to rse, and not all are available in each game.

Years
    I put them in if they look cool, doesn't matter how strong they are. But i do tend to stop liking pokemon pretty quickly. I wanted a shiny metagross for ages, finally got one, dont like it anymore. At the moment ive got palkia, dialga, giratina, darkrai, gengar and drapion.

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    The way i choose my party? Hmm.. what i do is to make sure i have a wide spread of elements, to make sure i'm not in danger of high levelled pokémon. I also make sure i have a good sweeper, just in case i get in trouble, as well.

Andelc

Cool Trainer Alex
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    I just choose my 6 favorite pokemon,

and make them strong and then use my great strategy.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    ...I choose my favourites.

I'm not a competitive battler and the plot battles are relatively easy in the games so long as you train, so it doesn't matter what I use. My final teams tend to be my starter Pokémon, Raichu, and then whatever else I picked up along the way. After the E4, I'll branch out and try other Pokémon but those are all picked based on if I like how they look or something specific about them. It has nothing to do with their stats or how good they are in battle.

I believe my final D/P team seems to be: Raichu, Cherrim, Empoleon, Houndoom, Staraptor, and honestly? I'm raising a Bidoof. I will get that thing to level 100 and it will not evolve. Its name is Bill and it's female.

:[ I could care less how serious my team is or how well it would fare competitively. I want to love the Pokémon I use and I want to be happy whenever I send one out because--hey, it's probably one of my favourite Pokémon and I'll have a reason for it being on my team.

Back