• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How do you choose your team?

Years
  • I am new to Pokemon and I am a bit swamped at how to go about choosing a team. Is it just me or is it really daunting?

How do you all decide what Pokemon to use? Is it based on there stats or abilities and how do you go about testing what is good and what isn't?

It seems like I almost need to play every single Pokemon in the game to learn what works and doesn't. Also how do you decide on the abilities to use and stuff?

I have looked at Serebii.net and the sheer number of Pokemon just amaze me.

Where do I start?

In my game I am up to the Elite Four.

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    Start off by using pokemon you like and enjoy using. Then modify your team from there. Like fix the problems that you see your team has.

sambo626

Pokemon Breeder/EV Trainer
    Years
  • Most pokemon are good once you get the right stats and EVs but to start off with pick a team that can pretty much be super effective against most types if not all. Try to make a team without really bad obvious weaknesses, like instead of a dragon/flying dragonite, go for a dragon/water kingdra because ice isn't super effective.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
  • 1. Make sure you like all the Pokemon you're using. If you're not enjoying it, there's no point of playing.

2. Make sure your team is balanced, both type wise and move wise.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I like using pokemon like Wobbufett and Shuckle. ones that are kinda gimmicky, but get the job done. anything with odd moves and extreme stats, really, F.E.A.R. pokemon are good, but it's highly probable they won't work nowadays...

One piece of advice I have is battle as many people as much as possible. that way, you get a hold of the current trend and the strategies of many players, and you could figure out how to counter the most common teams.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • I always go for even type coverage with my favorite Pokemon, and usually try to hang on to my favorite types above others that could do the same job.

Basically, just look at the different types and figure out at least one way to counter each of them, and try to do it with the moves of the six Pokemon you have. Being able to hit your opponent's weak-spot is always a good strategy. ;3

ckn

A Black Animator
    Years
  • well your gonna want to have atleast the 3 basic elements like fire, water, and grass but if you get these try to get them with duo elements like a swampert who is ground/water

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
  • Most of the pokemon I like have generally good
    stats and are OU pokemon. I usually just watch Battle
    Videos or pokemon videos in general, and if I like
    the pokemon's moves, I'll do further research into it
    ie: Maximum stats, move pool, abilities, etc. and
    find out who to replace it with after that.

Then, I just repeat. The main thing you need
    is to get a pokemon you like. Ignore natures
    and EVs and stats if you're just playing in-game.
    Just focus on the typing and super effective hits.
    Whatever kills is gold.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    Here is an Idea:
    If you want quick leveling try trading for something. My Gengar is lvl 90 and it got up there quick.
    Pretty much use a balanced team, not something with a lot of weakness but Pokemon that will complement each others weakness ex: Quagsire is water/ground so keeping a fire Pokemon might be help full.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Well I go for 3 types of teams.
    1. I usually have team consisting of the starter(mostly water) the bird a special out there more then normal beggining Pokemon (poochyena and such for Sinnoh it was shinx) a Legend and 2 out there on another level from my 4 default generic Pokemon. One is always a Flygon and the other either is a fire type or a Ground, prefferably groud/rock type.
    2. I go for a super mono type team. The best type imo for this would be water. We have Empoleon who has only 2-3 super effective types against it Swampert the same Lanturn to also get an Electric hand over things Kingdra Flygon(yeah I never have a team without this baby) and some other Pokemon. If I want I throw in a Blissey to just play make my team stupidly hard. But I don't go Noob with this mind you!
    3. My super team. I go all out have Pokemon I think I can make into proper fighters that usually don't seem like it and all. Items protein iron the works!

So yeah I make things fair and never go for low hit teams with f.e.a.r and such.

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
  • well i usually go on bulbapedia, then look over the pokemon of each type and pick a fav of mine with a good movepool for each type that makes it a good team of 6 different types. Like my new platinum team i bred beforehand in diamond
    Aerodactyl: great movepool with good stats and is a good flyer
    Venusaur: good movepool, looks cool
    electivire: really good movepool, good strength
    Houndoom: just a personal fave, but it has a decent movepool
    Starmie: amazing move pool and can be extremely versatile, and its one of my faves
    snorlax: great blocker/attacker, and one of my faves

Imagine.

Escaping Beyond Hope
    Years
    • Age 27
    • GBR
    • Seen Oct 28, 2015
    You should probaly pick pokemon you really love and not focus on just one type. Have a mix of types which you love.

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    At my sig those 6 are ones i used and they always kicked ass. apart from roserade, one that i use on my first walktru on platinum...

Feraligatr GSC : awesome starter! best of all three..
    Sudowoodo GSC : best rock type. since i don't like rock types much exept for aero that i never even used.. well.. not having a 4x weakness to two types is really good.
    Gardevoir : My best pokemon apart from my blaziken in emerald. kicks ass in the battle frontier too. timid nature rules.
    Absol : cool pokemon, love him. really a pwner with sword dance and slash on emerald.
    Ninetales : an awesome pokemon! apart from my dugtrio, now that both of them not exist (yellow save deleted) it was an awesome. almost killed mewtwo in accident on yellow.
    Roserade : looking for a new pokemon. since i could'nt get a meganium on platinum and i'm way too tired of meganium (i took chikorita alike. 654634 times in crystal!) and looked for a nice grass type. probably found one.

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    Im not new to pokemon but i am new to the 4th gen i actually started yesterday and already have like 2 badges that didnt take long and have luxio, monferno, bronzor, and shellos and it kinda bums me out that i have to wait forever to get a larvitar or a riolu, waiting sucks.

Years
  • For my battle team I have:

Typhlosion: I resolved to start Platinum with a Cyndaquil, and that is just what I did
    Venusaur: Needed a good grass type, and Bulbasaur popped into my head...although I did debate between it and a Chikorita
    Feraligatr: Took the place of the Alakazam on my team...I just really needed a water type =\
    Staraptor: I always have to have the main bird in the game on my team, it's almost like an undescribed rule
    Weavile: I thought I'd try something new and go for this Pokemon, because I'd never used it on an actual battle team or anything before
    Rampardos: This one has the best attack on my whole team...gotta love 'em =D

I try to change my team up every time...heh, Typhlosion owns =3

Years
  • I usually make a total Death team(See GBA games thread, what's your pokemon team.), but it depends on your prefrences. But hey, go for what fits you.(Long Version for Whatever.)

DragonBackpack

of the shattered sun
    Years
  • I am new to Pokemon and I am a bit swamped at how to go about choosing a team. Is it just me or is it really daunting?

How do you all decide what Pokemon to use? Is it based on there stats or abilities and how do you go about testing what is good and what isn't?

It seems like I almost need to play every single Pokemon in the game to learn what works and doesn't. Also how do you decide on the abilities to use and stuff?

I have looked at Serebii.net and the sheer number of Pokemon just amaze me.

Where do I start?

In my game I am up to the Elite Four.

well ofcourse get one pokemon that you enjoy playing with and you've have played with for a while and that you are good with, and let your team build around it... it does it by itself really, you dont need to choose your team, you'll just encounter new pokemon and new evolutions and your team will slowly form, and trust me, you will play with or against nearly every pokemon in the game once and its enough to give u a good idea of whats good for you and whats not...

but the moral of the story is to just go with the flow and let the pokemon coome to you :) if yah know what i mean.

Back