• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you cope with disappointment?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • Had the idea of posting this from my blog.

Basically, how do you cope with disappointment? Are you let down a lot? By whom? Yourself, friends, family? Do you find yourself harshly affected by being let down, or do you simply get back up and brush it off?

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I find that the best thing to do is see that "it's all going to work out, don't worry." It sounds so cliché, but every time I've thought about it, I've been right. As everything has worked out. Things get better, regardless of what happens, and I always try to keep that mindset. If you do not rise when you fall, all you can ever do is taste the dirt. I always wish to just keep my chin up, even if it means I need to take a few digs to it. I'd rather be punched by life when I stand tall, than be kicked by it when I lay on the ground.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • There isn't a lot of disappointment in my life, but to be honest 'disappointment' is pretty mild on the spectrum of negative emotions, so it never really registers as something important enough to have to deal with when it does happen.

If people disappoint me, I remember they're human just like I am.

SilverAbsol

Absol's Shadow
    Years
  • I make jokes about it, but when I get home I drink, eat chocolate, generally abuse my diabetes and play Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Cope with it? Do I need to?
    That's basically it. There's no reason for negative emotions to hold sway over anyone, nor any reason that a given emotion should be negative, besides society's say-so.

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    You can only be disappointed so much before you kinda stop getting your hopes up.. .

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • I can cope with such when I'm in front of the computer. Or I could just sketch and sketch and sketch. Keeps my mind distracted.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • First I like to take a hot shower thinking about positive stuff and then in my room listen to Rock/Metal music or play video games, my disappointment goes away.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I get realllllllllllllllllllll *****y at everyone around me, I lash out on the people who come near me, tell them I just want to be left alone, all that *****y drama queen behavior. Then, I tend to judge myself very hard for my failures. "You're worthless, you'll never aspire to be anything other what what you are now; which is nothing, you're an idiot" etc. I don't know why I get so extremely angry at everyone and myself when I get disappointed/go through failure, but it's terrible and I really need to change it soon. Except, I just don't know how.

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    Disappointment. Hmm. I simply forget about all my problems and move on. It's as easy as that.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Whenever I feel disappointed about something, I'll be down...then I just get over it and move on. I try not to let it bother me when I tend to move away.

When it's towards someone, I tend to become very disappointed for days.

Years
    • Seen today
    I hardly ever get in situations like this, because I try my best not to press expectations of my own onto other people because that's not how I like it to be for me. But I'm human, and I sometimes do that. I'm usually only ever let down by someone once in the timespan that I know them. There are a few people who I think very highly of, and tend to not apply to that, though.

If I have expectations on someone that they fail to meet, it's a lot like trust with me. If you don't meet an expectation that I think is really fair and reasonable, my expectations of you lower like trust would be broken if you broke someone's trust. So I guess my way of coping with it is to not expect as much from someone I put my faith into to do something to.

Generally I don't really get disappointed in other people, though, because I don't usually expect much from them to begin with. It doesn't really get me down, unless it's something I was really relying on and pulling for and it's someone who's really close to me. Usually it just brushes off of me, like most things.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • In my case, unless it's something big, I just grin and bear it and move on. Most of the time it's family that ends up disappointing me because they change their plans constantly, and sometimes a badly needed shopping trip gets canceled at the last minute, or comes up at the last minute when I was gonna do something else.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I cna be let down a lot and am easily dissapointed and discouraged. There's not a good way for me to deal with this and I usually end up depressed for a while. I often feel like if I tried to talk to people about it, they wouldnt understand.

Back