• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you decide what Pokémon you like?

Bolens

Soul Hacker
Years
    • Age 30
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    I go for the ones that are strong, that pretty much does it for me.

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
    Years
  • I focus on how badass then look mainly. Like Blaziken. or Scizor or Garchomp or Zekrom bla bla bla.
    I do also focus on how female looking some Pokemon may look too, which includes Gardevoir or Kojondo.

Years
  • I determine it with this slightly confusing and quite badly drawn chart:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2011
    The first thing i obviously look at is the design. Then when i find pokemons that look cool/cute/unique i check for more information about it, such as its typing, stats and movepool. if it's good in these (or most) areas then i might use it.

When i use a pokemon. I want them to have a cool design, but i also want them to be strong and effective in battle. This way i have found allot of favorites but also allot of dissapointments to, such as Onix and Shubarugo.

Some pokemons that i didn't like at first (like Hariyama, Spectile etc.) i really started to like after using them for a while.

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I'd have to go with looks too. It sounds vain, but I really am never interested in catching a pokemon that looks ugly or unattractive to me. I prefer things that are cute, or cool looking. Of course, they also need some good moves and to be strong enough to take on the normal challenges required. =]

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Looks first, like I fell in love with Tsutarja, Pururiru and that Bellosom clone to name a few, as I don't like much Gen V Pokemon but they're actually growing on me :surprised:, at first sight. Then typing, like Zuruzukin's Dark/Fighting. It's a ugly Pokemon, but it's typing make me like it. I like Pokemon with good unique typings. So looks + typings. I'm not really a competitive battler but I do want to beat the frontier one day but still, stats don't mean much to me. I do like my Pokemon to be fast though. Also, Pokemon concepts, the idea behind it. I look at Dex entries, and Trivia and Name origin on Bulbapedia.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    I like to catch pokemon based on animals I like. Also, I am known for using pokemon completely different than each other...

In my Heart Gold version, I currently have
    Nidorino
    Ampharos
    Machoke
    Ariados
    Growlithe
    Gyrados

Pidgeot is Life

Poke Balla
    Years
  • All of my favorite Pokemon are based off of memories.
    All the Pokemon I like are bits and pieces of nostalgia taking me back to when I was 6 again. :'D
    All the favorites/claims I have on my profile are Pokemon that, when younger, I grew emotionally attached to.
    When I was little I'm pretty sure Pidgeot was on my mind all the time. XD
    Which is why I think it's my favorite today.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't really know....I like pokemon based on their aesthetics and appeal. I like quirky pokemon that stand out...not necessarily cute pokemon.

My favourite pokemon would be: Mareep, Roselia, Numel, Gulpin, Desukan, Rankurusu (and any pokemon in their families)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Appearance is big for me, but definitely not the only thing. I consider if I would use them in battle, and if they would do well. I combine those factors to find which Pokemon I really like.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Appearance somewhat. It really helps if the pokemon has a nice design. And sometimes strength/fighting capabilities, but I can like weak pokemon too. Their traits, some of which are seen in the anime. And a mixture of bitter and sweet. :D

Silmeria

Years
  • For me, its mostly appearance and type. I absolutely adore Ice and Ghost types, because they have the best designs, in my opinion. Its a definite plus if the Pokemon also have a nice shiny colouring as well, and not something that makes me want to take a blunt spoon to my eyes. Some Pokemon I like just because of their shiny colouring - Piplup, Ditto, Totodile etc (I have a huge weakness for blue shinies)

There are some Pokemon I like as a result of past experiences I've had with them, though. I used to despise Breloom because of how ugly I find it, then I discovered how fun it was to use one when playing competetively online. I absolutely love it to pieces now. Although I have a love-hate relationship with other irritating Pokemon like that and whilst I like using Starmie, I will always despise it, mostly because of the misery it put me through in the 1st gen games when I was a kid and insisted on picking Charmander and training it almost exclusively. xD

A lot of the 1st generation Pokemon I like are because of their appearances in the anime, as well. I've always thought Gengar was awesome, and Onix had a huge impact on me when I first saw it. I mean, amongst all these tiny, cute Pokemon, you've got a GIANT ROCK SNAKE. It was the first intimidating Pokemon I saw, and its stuck with me. Moltres is one of my all-time favourites as well, just because the design is so...cool. Plus James' whole Flaming Moltres episode. That is probably my favourite episode ever. When I was younger I just picked my favourites based on what looked cool to me and what didn't. I'm looking for other things now that I'm older, but my old favourites still stay with me.

Kricketune is the only Pokemon I like due to its in-game cry. It sounds like some sort of freaky Amazones...thing. I've never liked Pokemon cries that much.

Really, I decide whether I like Pokemon on a case-by-case basis, although there are a few common factors I keep an eye out for~

Years
  • I judge by appearance. I don't really care about their power, I've had a lot of unevolved pokémon on my teams. :) Because if pokémon were real I'd probably do the same... unless they have really complicated personalities and they wanted to evolve but YEAHHH.

Back