• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you Describe Yourself as a *Gamer*?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • I like to think that there are a few ways to interpret us gamers. We all come in different shapes and sizes, but in the end, we're all still gamers. But, you, as a gamer, how would you describe yourself? What I mean is, what do you ultimately like doing that relates to video gaming, or just video games in general?

I'll give you an example; I see myself as a casual gamer that likes to challenge my way of thinking when it comes to certain strategy RPGs, by going into harder difficulty. While mostly I play stradegy RPGs, I like to unwind, and try a few platformers, or fighting games, or anything else the piques my fancy! Sometimes I see myself as a gamer that likes to collect games too. Nowadays, whenever I see a game like an retro Fire Emblem game that I haven't gotten yet, I would love to buy it, and add it to a small collection, which will gradually fill up! Merchandise is fun to collect too; I'd be totally on board with Fire Emblem merchandise!

Well, that's a little about me. How about you? To reiterate the question, what kind of gamer are you?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    That's kinda tricky. I can personally fall into anything. Casual? Sure. I play games like Wii Sports, Just Dance, Mario Party and Mario Kart everytime. Hardcore? I also play F-Zero GX, Halo 3 and Punch Out every time. Competitive? I got Street Fighter and Tekken. Only thing I don't play are online-only games. I have a very broad taste.

I honestly just play whatever I want and like whatever I like, no real specifics. Personally, I don't like describing myself as a "gamer". I frankly just play games to waste time and have fun, it's just a hobby, even if I'm studying game design.

TY

Im a huge fan of RTS games and i usually play them till i die from them irl.

Though i also like to play any other genre as long as i like the game (im never, ever gonna play Singstar >_>)
    I dont care how a game looks, i usually play at the lowest settings anyways, as long as its fun.
    Also i like a challenge and do some weird stuff in games.

Years
  • I guess I'm an escapist gamer, in that I prefer to actually get absorbed into the world of a game rather than constantly be made aware that I, a human being, am playing something. (I don't need a first-person viewpoint for this; I can enjoy tactical RPGs and the like because they have real stories and don't make reference to my personal details or those of my friends, and I never play online so I'm not chatting with anyone.) But even unimmersive games I can enjoy if they're interesting enough.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I'm a hardcore RPG player. Especially JRPG =D
    And I guess I can describe myself as obsessive completion hunter =D I simply have to complete the game before I can move on =D And by completing... I mean 100% =D

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • I'm a serious, competitive and dedicated gamer. I don't believe in reviews, in Game of the Year and I don't allow anyone to determine what games I will play or buy.

My biggest goals when it comes to Video Games is become a YouTube sensation.

The games I enjoy the most are: RPG, SRPG, fighting and First-Person Shooters.

My biggest peev is Easy Modes and gamers who use it for stories and don't want to be challenge. If you want a story without putting effort into it, read a book.
    In summation, I'm a serious gamer who enjoys a challenge both on and offline.

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    I'm a lifestyle type of hardcore gamer.

Basically, I play whatever I want, regardless of genre,reviews,console,suggestion,warning,etc. I play games because I thoroughly enjoy a game for it's capacity to keep my mind going, always trying to find a way to overcome whatever challenge that is put in front of me-no matter if it's the most popular (Skyrim/Terraria), usually seen as horrible (Two Worlds), or is seen as too complex or difficult (Armored Core series/Dark Souls), and all in between. I usually don't play the very lighthearted,kid friendly games, but I do when it seems interesting enough.

I play games most of my waking hours,post in game forums,have "try-hard/elitist" tendencies(in a nice,comparatively casual way), and watch youtube blogs about games, so most of my day is devoted to games in some form.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I'm not a super hardcore gamer, but I do take my gaming somewhat seriously. I'm a massive fan of RPGs. I also don't mind plat-formers and first-person shooters.

Years
  • I'm actually a casual gamer, mostly. I can go hardcore, but even then, compared to the Asian standard, I'm just a noob.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • I usually play casually...I play online games occasionally...I'm not so competitive, unless it's Pokemon :v so other than that, pretty laid back in my gaming. I also use it to escape reality in some ways :3.

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    When I play some games such as Call of Duty I really don't care all too much, but when I play FIFA 14 I get very "passionate" and I've lost around 4 PS3 controllers from my "passion". With Pokémon I don't have the same passion but sometimes in competitive battling I get angry. This boils down to that I hate to loose. I put everything into gaming sometimes and when I win, it is the best feeling in the world.

Last edited:

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I think I'd describe myself as bit of a strategist. I play games Magic the Gathering, StarCraft 2, and League of Legends. I don't claim to be good at any of them because I feel that with most strategy games, once you get the core mechanics down, it boils down to finding a strategy you enjoy and practicing it.

That being said, I do still get competitive, although in a more friendly manner than most may think of. I'm the kind of gamer that I can admit when I've overstepped or done something wrong, but may need help to find a better way, if the assister is patient enough to deal with my thick head on occasions.

I also greatly enjoy RPGs, specifically fantasy RPGs. Something could be said for the feel of things like the old Star Wars Galaxies, but for me, give me a setting like Guild Wars, customization like Dungeons and Dragons, and a storyline I can get into, alone or with friends, and I'll probably like it.

I have a puzzle game casual hobby.

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
    Years
  • I consider myself a special kind of gamer. I usually dont play games to complete them but just to enjoy them. I've never really been a person to sit and play a game for hours and hours (excluding pokemon lol). I also become involved with the world of games. IE: how companies work, the market of selling games, the type of technology and engines used for the games. I also play table top and card games. I really dont call myself a gamer. Mainly because I've seen people use the title and ultimate not live up to it. To me a gamer is someone who plays all kinds of games. Virtual or Table top, and doesnt stick to one genre. (Ex: Fighters, Sports, Shooters, etc). But I guess it all deals with your perception of things

Pinta77

I like unique games that not a lot of people have heard of because I guess I like to play games that are new to me. But I also like the mainstream games like black ops, gta, etc. I love violent games!

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I play games more for the plot than anything, so I prefer more story-driven games like JRPGs, Metroivanias, and Zelda-style adventure games. While I'm not particularly good at fighting games, I love to play them in social settings. XD

Also, I really can't stand FPS games. It's probably more a matter of skill since I can never get used to their dual-analog control scheme, but it can also be a form of backlash against people who assume I play them just because I label myself a gamer.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • I'm pretty casual with the exception of games like osu!, and games I like to speedrun (attempting to beat your old record, whether long or short, is pretty addictive.)

Back