• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you do it?

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    I'm not really "noob" at hacking. I can work wonders with Pokescript, I think of myself as a great Mapper(I guess that's the word?), and I'm good at Spriting too. My problem is that I can never finish a hack. I've started and stopped hacking FireRed at least 5 times, and Ruby once. How do you guys stay motivated to finish a hack? Its not that I get discouraged and quit, its that I just got bored of it. I do really want to make a good hack, any tips on how to stick to it?

I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so much would be obliged if a Moderator or Admin could move it instead of locking it if its misplaced.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Well, one thing that can be very motivating is receiving feed back from others. Just the pleasure of impressing people can keep most anyone motivated.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
  • I share your pain. I was an awesome mapper, but...never really did anything with anyone, so the yearn to do it kind of fizzled...I can't script to save my life, anyway. lol Well, I've never really messed with changing tilesets either, but...yeah. If I could find someone to work on a hack with, it would be great. Maybe I'll have to dust off my AdvanceMap folder...hmm.... lol :D

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Well, one thing that can be very motivating is receiving feed back from others. Just the pleasure of impressing people can keep most anyone motivated.

This! Also if you're passionate about your story that should push you to keep it going. But what mainly keeps me going is my drive to out-do everyone else. When I see a great hack I want to do better so I try harder. Also in going with the quote, after a beta release it's easy to keep progressing if you get positive feedback.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • I think that hacking 3rd gen games gets boring much easier, making maps takes a lot more time than on 1st/2nd (blocks consist of 4x4 tiles) gen base and most of all, you never really learn anything new (works in my case at least). Learning gives you the will to continue (or possibly re-start the hack because you've figured out something you should have done and can possibly work it out now).

I kinda mean, if you understand how to use different tools you've already "mastered" 3rd gen and you'll start to believe there is nothing more to be done than just make your hack with the tools you've. Instead, by hacking the previous gens you simply must learn how the ROM works to make a successful hack and when you think you know all that's needed (to make a hack with new scripts, sprites and stuff), you suddenly begin to learn more and understand the ROM even better.

There is a lot more to hacking than just scripting and graphics editing.
    You could for example modify the game so that you don't need to walk in grass to encounter wild pokemon, each ground block would do the same thing and without the grass-animation !

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
  • I usually switch tasks when I am bored.

For example: When I am bored of mapping/scripting, I work on overworld sprites. Then when I am bored of that, I switch to title screen editing.

Switching tasks can help.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    i have the same problem, and the reason is... no one likes them. i make really great ideas, but i can't do everything. i get 50% of the alpha/beta, but i need help to finish it, but no one wants to help, and when i try even harder, the "pros" give negative feedback, so i haven't gotten to far out of the rookie stage. because of the feedback i'm a really good mapper, n00b spriter, and a n00b scripter. if someone will help with my current project, i might not quit it.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • the "pros" give negative feedback

It's called crit. Look at it, learn from it, and use it to your advantage so you may improve. My first hack sucked, so I quit and made a new hack, which was really buggy, so I quit, and made another hack, by which time I had improved greatly, but felt like my first hack should be brought back, and I look at both threads, and I have improved a lot, because I read over peoples crit and improved. So yeah, if you can't get motivated to keep hacking, get some screenshots and post a thread. People will either give you crit, which is good because you can improve, or they'll say good things about your hack, which also makes you feel good that someone appreciates your hard work. :)

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    The hack that I am working on is my first and I have had a bit of the same problem. I have been very indecisive on the title of my hack and have changed my title screen three times as a result. Initially I liked all of them, but over time I wanted something different, so I changed it.

Now I have settled for sure this time and I can only give a few tips for sticking with a hack and completing it:

1. Perseverance: just keep going no matter what or you'll never get far (realize that if you want to make a good hack you must pick an idea and stick with it)

2. Add little things: add on to your storyline in fun ways, maybe add random events or something. Do whatever you can to hold your own interest.

You may disagree with my ideas, but these two things are what have kept me going strong.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    what i got wasn't just crit. i got flamed on everything, fix it from what they said (or tried) and got it flamed from the same person for a different reason, never ending. also most hacks have people say great hack, and i never got that until i quit the project, and lost all of my maps and work.

Divider

Grand Master Johto Champion
    Years
  • I hope this helps you.

Motivation is what drives us, and without it, why even begin anew? You've stated that you've given up several times, and that is why (imho) you lack the motivation to finish your work. You gave up, figuring that you could just start over. Starting over won't make your rom the next Shinygold, but sometimes taking steps back can make you reach new plateaus and achievements.

You should never give up on your rom, if you have, then pokemon has really taught you nothing more than how to play a video game. Pokemon is about never giving up and tackling challenges, becoming a hero and being the best at what you do. Take those words of wisdom, and apply them to a long forgotten project with your current skills, you would be surprised how fast you can get back into the swing of things.

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I see a lot of people working as a team. Obviously that isn't the main reason for being in a team, but I think if you have more than one person I think you'd be able to bounce around ideas and split the boring work

Back