• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about euthanasia?

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    My teacher was asking us about this in english class, since we were reading mice, and men. Should Mercy killing be allowed? I for one think no one should be able take another persons life away, even if that person is suffering. Pain make a people grow up.

Years
    What if someone is months away from death and in constant pain with no way to stop the pain and they want to die?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    "Pain make a people grow up".
    Um, yeah, if they're gonna die anyway, what the hell do they need to grow up?

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    No it haven't, there just stating a common point that most people view. I am not starting a debate post how YOU feel, not replies to how I feel.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
    I'd like to bring up another question. If people are so against euthanasia for humans, then why is it all right to put a pet down because you can't afford them, because they're sick and only might recover, or because of the conventional argument for euthanasia in humans, that they're dying anyway, and it should be all right to put them out of their misery? Please note that all three examples I provided for pets are considered perfectly valid in most places, including the fact that most shelters will euthanize pets that have been there for a certain period of time to make room for new ones.

Ayselipera

If someone is in horrendous pain and is going to die anyways then I think they should be allowed to be killed. Well I mean... you should probably get an okay from them first. Unless of course it's one of those life support situations where they can't respond and the only reason why they're alive is because of a machine. In that case then I think it's up to the family or closest person to the person on life support.

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    Euthanasia with humans is usually consensual; you're not being inhumane by following someone's requests. I also don't think people should be subject to pain just to "grow up".

However, I think legalization of euthanasia may just lead to lazier medical practices. "Oh, well she said she was ready to die." So I agree with your standpoint but not your reasons.

Years
    I am for it, as people have said, if someone wants to die and will spend the last few weeks/months in pain then surely forcing them to stay alive is more inhumane? If they want to die (and have legitimate reasoning to want to die) then they should be able to. Assisted suicide should be legal too as long as all parties are fine with it, not that I could bring myself to do it myself but the option should be there for those that could. And "grow up", really? This isn't about maturity it's about a long and painful death, and how can you expect a thread of this nature not to turn into a debate?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I really don't think a person who is having horrible pain and know they're gonna die very soon isn't gonna want to kill themselves.

Really, if I suddenly go into pain and I know I definitely will die (Not soon though, please disregard my age :P) I'd really want the doctor to give me some euthanasia. Especially if that is later in my life when my children are mature and I pretty much haven no other purpose in life.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    So if a 12 is getting bullied non stop, and commits suicide it would be okay? just because someone is in pain doesn't mean they have the right to end there own life. Suicide is illegal, like euthanasia.

Also on the part about pain growing someone up was obviously not ment for someone who has already lived a long life, for they are already grown up. Please do not take things out of context. :D

Sotto Voce

woohoo!!
    Years
    I am definitely for euthanasia--having to watch a close friend die a prolonged and painful death....it hurts immensely and it could have been less worse if they could have had a physician-assisted suicide and had a much less painful death. I see no point in having people to live their last moments in unbearable pain, especially if there isn't much else to be done about it.

Just think to yourself--would you rather die in excruciating pain for days/weeks/months, or end it right then and there and not have to continue like that.

In my humble opinion, I don't believe there is really anything that can be said to justify having to put yourself and your family through something horrible like that.

As for the above post, I don't believe your 12-year-old scenario is acceptable either--there is this thing called counseling, amongst many other alternatives to soothe pain--but that's vastly different from what I've mentioned.

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    So if a 12 is getting bullied non stop, and commits suicide it would be okay? just because someone is in pain doesn't mean they have the right to end there own life. Suicide is illegal, like euthanasia.

Also on the part about pain growing someone up was obviously not ment for someone who has already lived a long life, for they are already grown up. Please do not take things out of context. :D

Suicide may be technically illegal but in reality it's not since you can't convict a dead person of a crime.

Either way, suicide and euthanasia are completely different things. Suicide is caused by emotional factors, while people choose euthanasia for physical reasons.

Euthanasia is only meant to make someone's inevitable death less painful, not kill someone who has a decent chance at surviving and living a happy life.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    A 12 year old going crazy over bullying is one thing. Because 12 year olds don't have the maturity to handle such things. And if they go as far to commit suicide the reality is they will forever be remembered as a selfish person who couldn't confront problems. That's how all teen suicides are.

As for Euthanasia cases, you know you're gonna die. Everybody does not want you to suffer. Euthanasia would be a completely different form of killing yourself where you end suffering for you right there, and shorten the suffering of the ones close to you. Technically, you do more good with euthanasia.

Ayselipera

A 12 year old going crazy over bullying is one thing. Because 12 year olds don't have the maturity to handle such things. And if they go as far to commit suicide the reality is they will forever be remembered as a selfish person who couldn't confront problems. That's how all teen suicides are.

I don't agree with that at all. How can you say that they are selfish for committing suicide? If someone is in that much turmoil that they take their own life I can only feel sorrow for them. It's not like after one day of bullying they decide to kill themselves. This goes on for years for some children. Also think of how torn they'd be. They want to take their lives to end their misery, but at the same time the thoughts of how their family will miss them must tear them up too. It has never even in the slightest crossed my mind as a teen suicide being defined as someone who was selfish and couldn't confront their problems. If anything it should be someone who was pushed to their absolute limits.

Years

You don't appear to know what you're even talking about. Regular suicide, non-consensual 'mercy' killing, and euthanasia are all different things.

Suicide, which is what you're describing, is a completely different subject and the fact that you're attempting to use that as an example makes you look completely foolish. That's emotional pain, not physical pain.

I associate the term "mercy killing" more as killing a person who is injured and likely to die anyways... like, say you're trapped in a desert with someone, with no food, water or medical supplies, and they break their legs and are in horrible pain, with no way to get help or move. Lets say you have a gun. They decide that a bullet to the head is probably better than staying there, starving and dehydrating, waiting for the wolves to come and eat them. They ask you to do it for them. That would be more "mercy killing" to me. More of an emergency thing.

Euthanasia would be more like cancer patients with no hope of recovery, or old people who are dying of old-person problems. I think it should be allowed. It's their life, and it's absolutely none of your business whether they live or die if that's the choice they make, especially when it's more a choice of "live for a few more horrible hours/days/months, then die" or "die now relatively painlessly".

People who are on life support and can't make a decision are more of a gray area. If they decided beforehand, then of course their decision should be respected. If it's up to the family, then they should decide whether there's really a good chance of them ever recovering.

tl;dr - It's no one's business but their own and they shouldn't be forced to suffer because of the beliefs of others.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2010
    There will be a new HBO movie "You Don't Know Jack" that will be pretty interesting for anyone wondering about the life of Dr. Jack Kevorkian.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
    If the one to die is lucid and aware I think this person can decide wether he lives or not.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I agree with euthanasia as long as the person or animal has nil chances of survival. If someone is in constant pain and it's 100% certain that they're going to die (i.e. brain tumour; heart tumour; etc.), and they want you to "pull the plug", you should be permitted to do so. It's technically not suicide, since you're just dying slowly with no chances of survival.

If you can't afford a pet that becomes sick, or a human for that matter, than don't hav'em.

Back