• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about the route Youtube is taking?

PokeGirlBel

Avengers Assemble!
Years
  • Ok so Youtube has been unsubbing active accounts from people and messing everything up. They have also given us Cosmic Panda which takes away the idea of customizing your own page. Also the homepage is all ugh now. On top of that it seems they lost the "community" feel it once had. So my question is are you ok with the new Youtube or do you wish they went back to the way it was? I feel its becoming like Myspace and now hardly anyone uses Myspace anymore.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'm gonna move this to C&T, as it's more about YouTube as a service, rather than the entertainment which it provides.

Moving on up

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I vaguely heard something about this the other day. What exactly is happening? Random unsubbing sounds more like a bug they need to fix than an actual feature. I tried a few terms in google but I didn't find any news stories about this or anything.

Honestly, I haven't noticed too much of a difference in Youtube. If anything, I kind of like the new channel design more. As a viewer, it makes it easier to find important videos and playlists without having to scroll past a lot of customization I don't care about. (Sounds kinda harsh but it is so much easier to find things when every channel is laid out the same way.) Since I don't submit much of my own content to Youtube, the changes haven't really affected me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think it's okay. I hate the new profiles though. There were so many nice LP channels that had great customization in the last profile type. I don't visit profiles much since most people have their videos set to start playing when someone looks there, and I have a horribly slow internet, especially when it comes to videos. I dislike the home page as well. I end up missing some uploads when one person uploads multiple times. The previous way had their latest upload, and listed the previous three uploads before that. And I think that worked so much better.

The unsubbing thing is definitely a bug though. idk why they haven't fixed it yet. I would have thought they already did, cause I haven't heard the complaint about it in a long time. And if it's not a bug, I guess they're doing it so that people can get a more accurate sub count, because an inactive account isn't really a sub worth having. It's just a number, not a viewer. But still, not a huge deal. So that inclines me to believe it's just a bug.

PokeGirlBel

Avengers Assemble!
    Years
  • Oh from what I heard its still going on but Youtube are the ones doing. So they removed accounts who are active and people think there still subbed but not. So I can see why its annoying.

Years
  • I'm not 100% on the new GUI of youtube, the homepage is OK but what it did to peoples channel pages isn't very pleasant. For a lot of people it just looks like their old customisation with a big ugly default box slapped on top of it. Sure it gives it makes all the channels look like they match, but I think that the cost of it is too high on the GUI.
    As for the homepage though I've grown to like it. Sure there's that really annoying bug where if someone uploads two videos at a time you'll only get to see one and the other is hidden, but apart from that it's looking pretty good. I think the textured background was way overdue. Although there is one thing that really bugs me, and that's the size of the playlist bar. it just seems unnecessarily big. To me the perfect size would be to have it the same size as the bar that runs inside of the videos so that it all matches nicely. But so far it looks like they've put out something that would be loved by the visually impaired.

I haven't heard about this unsubbing that's apparently floating around, I haven't even been able to find any reference to it anywhere. But I have experienced the bug where sometimes something won't show up in my subscription box, and that's a bit annoying as it's driven me to have to follow a number of people on facebook/twitter.
    Also, I personally think that youtube lost its community feel when they started up that partnership program and people started to make youtube videos for the money.

Years
  • Heh, not too long ago this same topic was started on another forum I visit.. I really think Youtube is just cleaning out its database... a lot of videos I see with comments from closed accounts have been deleted and same for suspended accounts, so something tells me thay they are limited on space at the moment. And tbh, I really dont pay attention to my subscribers count anymore.. I'm not too desperate for views on videos and a lot of the accounts that wind up subscribing to me on Youtube are mostly spam accounts anyways.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I first heard about this from most of the people I'm subscribed to when I went on Youtube - and it seems that Youtube has been automatically unsubscribing accounts from various channels (quite a lot, actually), and some people are experiencing uploading issues. I'm okay with Youtube's current interface, and being a viewer mostly these problems haven't really affected me, but I did check my subscriptions. Regardless, these problems can't be ignored.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • https://youtubecreator.blogspot.ca/2012/05/inactive-account-removal-concludes.html

Is this the "I AM LOSING SUBSCRIBERS ;~~~;" thing that everyone is complaining about? Really? Looks to me like they're just removing deleted/closed accounts. Which is something any site usually does after enough time. I'm surprised the subscriber counts didn't automatically update when the accounts were closed but since they didn't, it looks like this is long overdue.

Yeah, it messes with numbers a bit and I guess anyone in a production contract where their number of subscribers might affect their ad revenue or salary will take a hit but on the whole, this will make subscription numbers more accurate and it makes a whole lot more sense to me. I'm all for it. :/ Especially since from here on out they're going to keep the counts accurate.

Lower numbers are depressing to see, I guess, but it's a LOT more important to have up-to-date data if you actually look at analytics for reasons other than ego stroking.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Eh. It doesn't affect me much. I only use Youtube for viewing videos. i have an account but I don't use it enough to care about subscribers. I guess if it starts to affect people I'm subscribed too, I'll be more concerned about it. I'm not a new fan of the new layout though. It's just confusing and I liked having videos the old way.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I think the look on the new youtube channels are really bland. I preferred the old design a lot more.

Tbh, I don't really mind about the youtube homepage, just the channels.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
    Years
  • Youtube seems more...official than it used to be. Everything is really...I don't know, un-personal? I don't like it. Its kinda hard to describe I guess, but I feel like youtube is more like a governmant site than a community.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2012
    If there's anything I HATE about YouTube, is their "Omgwtf BBQ menz this content might be owned by blah blah...so we have disabled your video, kthxbai" and the next thing I see is the SAME damn video live on ten different accounts...what gives >_>

Back