• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about your country?

Years
Can either be your native country or the one you currently live in (if they're different). Personally, I'm American and have very mixed feelings regarding the United States; there are a lot of aspects of America and American culture that I absolutely hate, but a lot that I love as well. How do you guys feel about your countries and why?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Any pronoun
  • Seen today
(American) Somewhat negatively. Sees far too much power in the hands of people only interested in enriching themselves or hurting others. Emboldened more to act the same. Foresees more problems ahead until the corruption is removed. Doubts any action on that for a while. (Acknowledges that to be easier said than done, whether or not you want to do it the "right" way.)

Recognizes some efforts to improve the average person's life. Tends to be drowned out or diminished, but not always.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
As yet another American, I despise my country.

Worst healthcare, safety net, and worker's rights in the developed world, unfair "elections" that weight your vote dramatically based on what state you live in, a legal system that says literal neo-nazi propaganda is "free speech" but noncommercial Pokemon fangames aren't, foreign policy that consistently backs random right-wing extremist regimes that then blow up in our faces a decade or two later, and that's just the stuff that's ongoing. If I had to list every single historical injustice the US has committed, I'd hit the forum's character limit.

The west coast is a nice place, though. I hope we get the chance to leave the US someday.

Reactions: Nah

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • she/her, they/them
  • Seen today
I'll keep this short for now since multiple other Americans have already posted: the US is an absolutely fucking monstrous country, always has been, and has no hope of ever not being that way

....so, let's hear from people in other countries for a bit

Years
  • Age 34
  • She/Her, It/Its
  • Seen today
Kinda meh. The country's be run conservative for the last 20 years. And while all the countries around us are investing a lot to get their economy back up. We still continue with the austerity politics. And the way our politicians fight the backlash is with an ever increasing amount of populism against minorities and the poor.

It seems like our conservative politicians definitely learn a lot from their US counterparts. <_<

Years
i feel mixed as an american - i think the democratic process that is instilled in our country is at jeopardy, and has been on a straight downward spiral since trump took office. it was surely on the downward spiral since dubya was in office, but it's essentially accelerated. but i've come to appreciate how diverse it is here as well (in some areas, i live in one)

i think the two largest problems are the 2010 citizens united ruling (corporations are "individuals" when it comes to political spending), and the unbalanced supreme court putting politics above country

Years
Australia is a great place to live in a lot of ways. The federal government and all the state/territory governments other than Tasmania's are just left of centre right now which isn't great but it's a lot better than being on the other side of that line. We've got a reasonable healthcare system and a lot of freedoms and privileges that other places don't. That being said though, there's still a long way to go. The coal/mining industry still owns our government, the NBN still needs fixing, our climate attitudes are laughable, our foreign policy is dubious and systemically there's still a lot of work to be done to make sure people are getting the support they need and the fairness they deserve.

I'd rather be here than just about anywhere else, but we're far from perfect and have a long way to go.

Years
Canada.

I mean, it's a peaceful country but we have a healthcare and housing crisis across the board that the federal government is doing nothing about. The provinces need help and they're not getting it.
Also, while I understand the importance of cutting carbon emissions, the carbon tax just punishes the poor. $1.70 for a single litre of gas is insane and EV batteries cost 50k to replace if they break.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
I'm from the US.

In many ways, I am fortunate to be have been born here, but the nation is becoming unstable, something I was instilled was never going to happen here, not in this day and age, anyway.

The USA is a country founded on some pretty good ideas, but it has never lived up to that. Not even from the very beginning when slavery was legal and us women were still treated like property. It wasn't until throughout the 20th century that us women finally began getting rights, from voting, working, no-fault divorce, bank accounts for ourselves, and abortion. Native Americans were tortured, killed and had their land stolen. Slavery remained legal in the South until after a large civil war. Even still, racism ran deep in the country. Segregation remained a thing in the South for a whole century afterward (my parents were around at the tail end of the Jim Crow era.). As did cruelty and violence toward black people. And unfortunately, the flagrantly racist lines drawn in states to disadvantage black peoples' votes and power during the reconstruction era remains in place to today. "Sodomy" was not legalized until the early 21st century. A man who stood in opposition to that legalization sits as Speaker of the House in our nation today. SMH.

I think some German leader recently said that to love a country like this requires loving it with a broken heart, and that resonates so much.

I was raised to think the country exceptional, I was raised to think that we'd gotten so much better on everything and we have gotten better on much of it. But not anywhere near all of it.

One thing that the country did do very right was separation of church and state. A great idea that the nation was founded on, to ensure religious freedom for all. Unfortunately, a powerful group wants to completely tear down that separation of church and state and turn us into a theocracy. If only we could laugh that group off, but they have money, they have power. They have a chance of gaining the federal government if the presidential election goes the wrong way.

The truth is that democracy is being strangled by a number of issues, some put into place under different circumstances (like the electoral college), some being even broader issues (like money controlling everything).

The religious right made an unholy alliance with the dark money of the so-called "libertarian" rich (people who are so greedy that they will remove any and every regulation to keep us safe, if only it makes them a single penny more). Since then, a minority of people who are against what most of the US wants have gained a lot of traction. The electoral college gave us George W Bush in 2000 instead of Gore. And then in 2016, the electoral college gave us Trump instead of Clinton. These two presidents elected against the will of the people have gained complete domination over the Supreme Court, which took away the right to abortion, and openly plans to go after contraceptives, same-sex marriage and more next.

We can't get any progress done because the lines drawn of the House and Senate also favor the same unpopular party, that even when technically they are in the minority, they have just enough power to keep progress down.

And then we have Trump. A conman, a sexual predator, a wannabe dictator who somehow won the hearts of the above mentioned unholy alliance. No matter how depraved and unChristian is, he never loses the support of the religious right, many of which now see him as some kind of messianic figure. Now I could go off on a long tangent on this point alone. Evangelicalism in the USA has taken on its own nature, it has become meshed with right wing politics, to the point that it betrays much of the Bible and many so-called "sincerely held religious beliefs" have no basis in the Bible whatsoever, but are just political issues sold to the base. It is its own monster now, and people need to recognize that and understand that's why Trump is loved by them, when he should be shunned.

I could go off on that tangent for a veryyyyy long time. The monster that is the religious right in the USA is truthfully terrifying, and entire books could be and have been written about it.

Trump is extremely dangerous. He incited an insurrection, he has 91 indictments against him, and yet.... Little has been done. It's like little CAN be done. He's a blatant crook, a blatant danger to the nation in illegal ways and yet the government seems powerless to stop him. We've seen this happen many times before in history. It never ends well. Plans for a second Trump term have been drawn up, very, very scary authoritarian plans like Project 2025 (which is signed onto by MANY dark money organizations. Project 2025 is absolutely no joke).

The insanity that is the USA today is extremely scary. I have lived all of my life up until now in a red state, but I can't do it anymore. I am a member of a number of different groups that the right is scapegoating (not all of them, but some of them). I have already had many freedoms and rights taken away from me in my red state and am scared. I unfortunately have to remain scared even after moving, because things like Project 2025 seek to reach out and punish blue states if they do not comply with the taking away of freedoms and rights.

I have no clue what's going to happen if Trump takes a second term. I am so scared. All I know is that this country isn't stable anymore. Whether we're heading for authoritarian, "Christian" dictatorship or lots of violence and instability I do not know. All I know is that Biden MUST win. But I'm sick of fighting off the fascists with every election. I'm sick of being scared to death every election. The USA somehow needs to stand up and put an end to this fascist threat or we could be dealing with this for a very long time, and I'm afraid that even if they don't take this election, the ignorance of the populace, the brainwashed, etc. will eventually give in and they will take power. Very scary.

Years
It's got it's problems, but I'd be hard-pressed to find a better one tbh.
Most other Western European countries got worse issues and I don't even want to think about living in the US =\

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
As an American, I'm terrified of what could happen in November, as well as what's going on right now. This country has blood on its hand, and I'm ashamed to be American.

Days
  • Seen yesterday
As an Indian, kinda meh. The country has achieved a lot but there are still many issues present in almost every aspect.

Years
I'm not extremely positive about my Country (Italy). It's not very bad when compared to some others, but it's also not among the best. I Always considered moving, now I am re-considering that. I Just don't know.

Years
Sharing my general feelings towards my home country would probably land me on a government watch list. Safe to say I don't feel very happy with my country right now.

On the flip side, I am well aware of how privileged I am to be living in such a well off country, and how lucky I am to have access to things like medication and health care that are ridiculously hard to obtain in other places.

My country could be wonderful if it wasn't run by people that want to tear it apart.

Back