• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] How do you feel BDSP compares to SwSh?

Years
  • The games themselves obviously aren't completely similar - one is a remake of a previous generation with an updated look to it, and another is a game set in an entirely new region with different visuals.

When comparing the two sets of games though, people will usually have a preference. Based on your personal views of each games' graphics, gameplay, available Pokémon, overall features, etc, did you feel BDSP has been more enjoyable than SwSh?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • If I am honest.... I enjoyed Sword and Shield more. I am not really enjoying BDSP. I only just finished the 2nd Gym and beat Galactics, but I am just no enjoying it.

There is no a great variety of pokemon. There has been like 5 routes with all the same 3 to 5 pokemon.
    There is nothing new to look forward to.
    I have never been a fan of all the back tracking. I don't mind some, but the amount in Sinnoh is kinda annoying.
    Pokemon in the wild do not rise well with the game, so if you catch a new pokemon, you are forced to spend a good amount of time training.
    The amount of pokemon with Sturdy is insane... and a big reason I think I stopped playing much. I see now why I started to lose interest in Pokemon during Diamond and Pearl games.

It just doesn't feel new. Even Let's Go was more enjoyable playing thus far.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    The games themselves obviously aren't completely similar - one is a remake of a previous generation with an updated look to it, and another is a game set in an entirely new region with different visuals.

When comparing the two sets of games though, people will usually have a preference. Based on your personal views of each games' graphics, gameplay, available Pokémon, overall features, etc, did you feel BDSP has been more enjoyable than SwSh?

I'm lurking this forum trying to soak in the general consensus. I'm curious what YOUR take is on this comparison, Sheep?

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Despite chibi art style, remakes are always based on the first game released for the generation as they don't have something new or exciting and all honestly I kinda enjoy SWSh as whole than DPS remakes. Maybe it's just me until I play full hours straight

Years
  • I'm lurking this forum trying to soak in the general consensus. I'm curious what YOUR take is on this comparison, Sheep?

\o/ For me, pros of each are:

SwSh
    - Better character models
    - Better selection of Pokémon
    - Better characters

BDSP
    - More fun gameplay
    - Region is less linear and has more to explore
    - More fun side quests (primarily Underground)
    - Hits me in the nostalgia

It does seem like SwSh should edge out based on the above but I definitely think I prefer BDSP so far! Gameplay is my main thing and I'm having a ton of fun going through Sinnoh again and experiencing the Underground. Graphics and characters are easily better in SwSh, Galar has one of my favorite sets of characters honestly, but I just can't help but enjoy BDSP more overall.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm having more fun with these than I did with Sword/Shield. It feels like playing a DS era game.

I think if someone is looking for Gen 4 with extra content, this is not it. It does feel like a return to form because there hasn't been a standard pokemon game without any sort of gimmick in a while.

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    If I am honest.... I enjoyed Sword and Shield more. I am not really enjoying BDSP. I only just finished the 2nd Gym and beat Galactics, but I am just no enjoying it.

I have never been a fan of all the back tracking. I don't mind some, but the amount in Sinnoh is kinda annoying.
    Pokemon in the wild do not rise well with the game, so if you catch a new pokemon, you are forced to spend a good amount of time training.

It just doesn't feel new. Even Let's Go was more enjoyable playing thus far.

Didn't Johto have this issue too?

When I played the original once I got the Vs. Seeker I used it like crazy to train up my pokes.

I'd also suggest trading in Pokemon so you get that Exp Boost.

Does affection boost Exp gains like in the Gen 6 games? That could help as well....

Years
    • Seen today
    As it's been 2 weeks and I'm at the end, Sword and Shield had better for variety for sure. The wild pokemon started feeling the same quickly. I know it's supposed to be a replication, and it shows that the newer games make pokemon availability way better.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I prefers the challenge over SwSh. The Gym leaders are far more superior and Cynthia.

Sure, considering it IS a remake, Pokémon varieties would be much lesser and honestly, harder to find for some of the uncommon or rare ones but what is the point of finding one of those easy, that'll make them as common as a Starly.

I enjoyed having to visit either where they ARE native to OR Underground.
    Training up from lower level isn't even a problem with Exp. Share unlike in the past you had to keep switching in and out.

Irregardless, generation 4 was around the time I joined Pokécommunity and started trading, so it held a whole big special place in my heart when it comes to Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2023
    I remember playing Diamond and stopping around the part where I had to go to Mt. Coronet. Or did I stop before then? I can't remember. But I did get Platinum and play the entire game all the way to the end.

And seeing as BDSP are basically direct copies of DP with just better graphics and a few changes here and there, I'm not really enjoying it. The only reason I'm still playing is just in case that the game data will unlock something in Legends Arceus.

Honestly the only things I like are:

-HMs being on the PokeTech, but really wish the damn thing had an up and down bottom so that you don't have to keep on pressing it to get to an App. Yeah I know you don't need the HM app open to use the HMs but it's still a really crappy design. Plus I wish we could pick what wild pokemon shows up to aid yoiu. Not a fan of the Bidoof line.

-Honey Tree Pokemon found in the Hideaways. Other then Heracross (as far as I know) Pokemon that were a pain to find in DPPL can be found in the Underground hideaways. Mainly Munchlax.

-Harder E4/Cynthia battles. I have yet to take them on but I'm both looking forward to it and dreading it.

-Lucas/Dawn battles. I recently found out about it and I love the fact that their teams (rematch) vary greatly depending on your starter. And I don't mean like how your rival's team vary with the same three pokemon plus an elemental trio with one being replaced by their starter.
    Check out the link to see what I mean: https://www.serebii.net/brilliantdiamondshiningpearl/dawnlucas.shtml

So all in all I would give this game a 2/5 rating. Maybe if I ever figure out how to hack/mod it or if GF releases a DLC that will make it more like Platinum then maybe I'll think about playing it again. Until then I'll still with Platinum if I want to experience Sinnoh again.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Didn't Johto have this issue too?

When I played the original once I got the Vs. Seeker I used it like crazy to train up my pokes.

I'd also suggest trading in Pokemon so you get that Exp Boost.

Does affection boost Exp gains like in the Gen 6 games? That could help as well....

Most older Pokemon Games have the issue. And even vs seeker, it isn't as good as training in the Underground since at least there, pokemon are almost always going up with how many gyms you beat, so the vs seeker is kinda redundant. After finishing BDSP, I will say the higher levels aren't as bad as lower levels.

Not sure what you mean by trading in pokemon.

As for the game overall now that I have beaten it. It has been possibly the only pokemon game I did not enjoy playing. And for me, one of the biggest wastes of money. It is easiest the worst main series pokemon game in my opinion. I didn't have a hint of nostalgia for the music, characters or anything about it.

As for the challenge people are talking about, I didn't really have a challenge. I beat every trainer in a single try. I did almost lose to Cynthia, but that was mostly due to the fact I chose the wrong thing attack wise and messed up, but I still have 2 max revives waiting to be used, so I still likely would have beaten her in a single try even if my Empoleon hadn't stayed at 1hp because of friendship.

There is nothing new to look forward to.
    There is too few pokemon..... as in most routes had the same exact pokemon.
    I still never adjusted to the graphics and is still a huge turn off for me.
    The amount of pokemon with sturdy was ridiculous. Luckily how long it took to defeat stuff was a lot shorter than older games.

And while I did hate the game over all, I will say I probably made one of my most favorite teams I have ever made in pokemon. It would have been better if I had been able to find a male ralts. To me that is at least one thing positive to BDSP compared to SwSh. But it is easy to see how I nearly quit the pokemon franchise during Gen 4. Especially since I never had Platinum.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Truthfully, my heart is with SWSH. Remakes are cool and all, but the promise of a whole new adventure is way more enticing to me.

Years
  • swsh by an absolute hair. and i say this as someone who's favourite region is sinnoh. i have the Unpopular Opinion that max raids are actually kinda nice; dynamax adventures, while the most annoying shiny hunt method, can be fun sometimes depending on if you're doing it with friends and whatnot. idk, the whole experience of swsh is nice and the only reason i'm not really regularly playing swsh like that these days is that bdsp is still the shiny new game on the block and i've still yet to get bored of that.

i suppose if i had to do a pros and cons list:

swsh:

+ raids, raids and more raids!
    + more character customization options than bdsp by a lot, felt like ilca could've done more here
    + arguably better climax in the story and better osts (really though i havent heard an ost go this hard in a long time)
    + isle of armor and crown tundra are interesting expansions
    + hop is a rival with more depth than barry and i say this as someone who loves barry's "im fining you $1,000,000" antics

- base game kinda lame and it's clear it's "incomplete"
    - the above also means the base game wild area is kinda...idk, ugly is a strong word, but less developed than the wild areas of ioa and ct. it's clear that game freak cares about the visual presentation here and puts work into improving the wild area
    - i had a moment of "really?" as soon as i finished ioa's story. as a stopgap sort of to ct, it was kind of a let down. i kinda wish there was more to ioa than urshifu.
    - i dont like the decision of not letting the player use their own pokemon in dynamax adventures. if the mewtwo max raid was indicative of anything, game freak could very well have made legendaries more or less challenging without relying on rental pokemon and random npcs that don't always (more often than not, really) make the best decisions
    - a vast majority of the game is easy except for maybe leon depending on your team. if you come into swsh expecting difficulty, don't expect a whole lot here (excluding raids). that said, the rematches are pretty fun, so there's that!

bdsp:

+ i love the chibi aesthetic and i think pokemon should probably follow this route if not some chibi-esque aesthetic in the future. it's an aesthetic that perfectly captures what pokemon is all about; instead of being realistic, it's fantasy and child-like as it should be. sure, it clashes with some elements that are supposed to be dark like cyrus (which is actually hilarious to me), but i think as a whole it's cute as it's supposed to be.
    + to add to the above, has anyone seen how amazingly stunning the water is?? using surf and waterfall is incredible to look at. idk, maybe i pay too close attention to move animations but it's clear some of them are done quite well!
    +/- faithful remake. had to include it here, which means no distortion world. there is a distortion area which houses giratina-o, but i guess i liked exploring the world proper. this also means no battle frontier, and while people may call this overrated, i find the gimmicks to be the main reason why the frontier is enjoyable
    + actually pretty damn challenging. while one might think having the exp share on permanently may make the game a cakewalk, i was in my early-mid 70s and still having issues with the elite four. there's definitely a discussion to be had about proper level scaling with the exp share on as the exp share itself doesn't seem to be an issue, it's the level scaling
    + turns out, much like swsh, it's actually pretty damn easy to get multiples of a tm, assuming one puts in work for it
    +/- lots of glitches to exploit, apparently. i'm including this as a matter of both depending on personal preference. for me? i don't personally care
    + pokemon hideaways are pretty nice
    + you can play w/other players in grand underground which is nice; i've been wanting something like this for a long time!

- i think they made it so you dont get individual points for defeating trainers in battle tower anymore, which is lame. 1 bp for every win is how it should be. it just makes grinding for bp an annoyance
    - post-game basically being battle tower and catching legendaries means that those who have no real love for battling don't have a whole lot to do after they beat the e4 (as far as im aware?). as someone who has been in a similar predicament but in different games, i can see how much this feeling sucks
    - the fact that there's only one clothing shop ever is annoying. i don't see anything wrong with including more customization options, but im glad it exists, so idk if this is a "beggars can't be choosers" scenario
    - secret bases are lame, and the statues' efficacy is not easily noticeable. as a method of shiny hunting i'm unsure how this compares to pokeradar chaining, but i see a LOT more people getting results with the latter which probably says a lot.

--

a lot of what's important to me in a pokemon game is longevity. i want to play the game past the main story. i want the post-game to be the real thing. swsh keeps me shiny hunting as it's easy to do so while bdsp keeps me battling with battle tower, but eventually the latter is going to get boring unless i team up with one of my friends to do it (dunno if that's even possible). the underground keeps me stuck while the same can be said for dynamax adventures. really though, it can go either way easily for me but i like shiny hunting so swsh edges out.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • It's kind of hard to say. I think the biggest thing for me is that they chose not to make BDSP on par with SwSh in terms of scale which is honestly really odd to me. Well not odd, this was a lot cheaper, disappointing's probably the better word. And don't get me wrong, I think BDSP is the best of the remakes and I think SwSh, if we're just talking about the base game, is just kinda unimpressive and devoid of content.

But it's also just really odd because this is the first Pokemon game in general where they've decided to make a game in that same generation less than its peer, and that does hurt because frankly while I don't think there's any reason to play DP if you have BDSP, I don't think there's any reason to buy BDSP if you already have DP. It's not like a Fire Emblem remake where it's this beautifully re-imagined current generation experience, it's not like Final Fantasy where they make an effort to improve on the original based on how their design philosophy has changed over the years and add content to make that purchase worth it, it's just Diamond and Pearl with some QoL, a new coat of paint, and some expanded side stuff.

I'm not saying that it's a bad remake because of what it does, but for the price it feels almost as if it's taking advantage of the fact that it's on a console where a AAA release is expected to be 60 and just...being 60. Makes more sense when you consider how much less expensive using Unity to create a game is versus creating your own engine and cutting costs via outsourcing. All of that together I'd say it's a pretty easy win for SwSh, because despite the mediocrity it does strive to take the next step from its predecessors, and even if it doesn't the DLC was better than the main game and BDSP chose not to be about Platinum so it still fits.

Back