• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel when...

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • ...Someone says that "x" is a Pokemon rip-off, and vice versa. Like for example...Digimon. People would tell me all the time that "digimon is a pokemon rip-off" or "Pokemon is a Digimon ripoff" All because they have "mon" in their names, and associate with monsters. Well, there's a big reason why I disagree with this; for one thing! Digimon are able to evolve, but they can be reversed back! When Pokemon evolve, they can't go back to their pre-evolutions so to speak.

Well anyway, any thoughts about someone that would say "x" is a pokemon rip-off?

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • Well with Digimon, it was released shortly after Pokémon was and has many similarities. I actually preferred the first season of Digimon to the first of Pokémon's. Actually, I'm lying but it was still an amazing show (at first).

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I always say to people who think like that "lololol just because they both have mon in their names doesn't mean that they're a rip off of the other thing" and followed by a beautifully said "shame on you". xD

But yeah, I feel ashamed when some people think Pokemon is a rip off of Digimon and vice versa. Those two are very different from each other.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • Beyblade looks more like a Pokemon ripoff to me than Digimon. Pokeballs just got turned into tops.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Beyblade looks more like a Pokemon ripoff to me than Digimon. Pokeballs just got turned into tops.
    You're a bit right there but in my opinion, Digimon has more similarities to Pokemon than Beyblade. But yeah, those aren't even rip offs to start with. They just have a bunch of similarities to Pokemon.

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • I just nod and agree with them because I can't be bothered arguing over something pointless. It doesn't really bother me what people think.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    When someone says that, 'Ill just say that they are awesome in their own way.
    I mean, who can possibly think that knightly Gallantmon is a ripped-off somewhere from Pokemon? Just because digimon less popular than pokemon(don't get it wrong, I like digimon too), that doesn't mean digimon is a pokemon ripp-off.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Rip-offs of Pokemon don't really bother me. Even though Digimon has similarities with Pokemon, and is considered a rip-off, I don't get bothered by that.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • But when did Pokemon get released? And Digimon? I don't feel like looking for it. If they went out around the same time Digimon can't be a ripoff unless the producers had some spies.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • The only time I've encountered this was when the Digimon anime was being shown on television. The 'street-smart' ten-year-olds at my school managed to construct rumours that Digimon was better than Pokemon because it had been around longer, and other such stuff... but no one really cared at the time, and I don't think many people care as of now. Could be wrong, though.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I usually say that they have similarities, but in contrast many more things that differ between the two.

On the topic of rip-offs, if anything seemed like a rip-off of Pokemon, it was Monster Rancher lol. Though, not sure which came first... Wikipedia says one thing and then says another so... yeah.

Truth be told though, I enjoy(ed) all these creature series, especially Digimon and Pokemon.

Back