• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you get your shinies?

Years
    I recently (as I have gotten more involved with Pokemon) have seen more and more shiny Pokemon. I have about one the red Gyarados you get from Soul Silver or Heart Gold. Anyway I am wondering what do you do to get your shinies? Take your chances in the wild? Breed them? Hack?

Years
    The easiest (legal) way is chaining in platinum, diamond, or pearl. However, I know some people who have had great success using the masuda method in black or white (cause they increased the chances of that working, I guess).

Last edited:

RaichuGuy

#1 Beyblader/BakuganBrawler
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2012
    I am trying to use the AR to get some, but I haven't prevailed yet.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Most of my shinies are from very generous people here at PC! :) I have tried Masuda Method, but with no luck. I have no patience for SRing, and I suck at chaining. Haven't tried learning RNG but I'd probably fail there too. The only shinies I got on my own are the few random encounters I've gotten, and that's only about 5 or 6 Pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    For the most part, I don't even try looking for shinies. I let the shinies come to me by pure luck.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Beleive it or not, they find me. I don't take any extraordinary effort to look for them, but I have quite the collection of them from just wandering around in tall grass. Somehow I get really lucky with them.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I've never really had much luck in Pokémon games, my first shiny I encountered was about two months ago in a re-play of Sapphire, which was a Whismur. The second one however was a LITWICK that I got in White a few months after that during EV training, and I love Chandelure and its shiny so that was a pretty lucky find. Other than that I got a few shinies from my cousin who RNG's them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2011
    I have two Shinies from HG. First Shiny Spearow and second Shiny Tauros.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I've played through each Generation a couple times and only ever found one shiny throughout all the games. It was a shiny Yanma with pretty great IVs so I trained it up and that Yanmega became my main pokemon for battling in HeartGold ^^ Trade it over to every single game I play now just to ensure it doesn't get lost!

Saerith

Fear My Glitter!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 5, 2012
    I get most of mine through the masuda method, the others have been given to me :)

Years
    I don't actively seek out shiny Pokemon, but have seen a handful of them in the wild (although I've only caught one). I did attempt soft resetting for a shiny starter a few years ago on Fire Red, but I gave up after a few hours.

assassinjay1229

Im baaaack
    Years
    I have had a few REs Whismur and Bellsprout I can think of
    I've hatched a few through MM
    I have the Red Gyarados
    Ive gotten a lot through trades mostly from Saerith, or ~RNC~
    and I have the shiny events Eevee, Milotic, Pichu, and the legendary beasts

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
    Ive only seen 2 in my whole life of playing Pokemon. A oddish and a miltank. I caught the oddish but my brother restarted my game, and I lost it forever. The miltank I tried to catch it, but ended up killing it. :(

Now, I just trade for em. I never actively search for them. It takes too much time imo.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    I've seen maybe one wild shiny per game cartridge and its usually something derpy like Magikarp or Chingling.

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
    I have had quite a bit of luck with shinies during the years, and disregarding RNG'd or Masuda methoded.

I don't know if I saw any in GSC as I never knew about them. Lol. Aside from Gyarados, of course.

In Sapphire I remember catching a Lotad, and then notcing every other Lotad I saw was a totally different colour - and my friend pointed out to me that I had a 'shiny'. :D I was so excited.
    Later in the game I cought a Shiny Wingull.
    Since then I've seen heaps of shinies. Well, not heaps, about 10 (Metapod, Shroomish, Tentacool, Shinx, Staravia, Houndour and Geodude that I can remember) and just recently I've seen both a shiny Piloswine (giant chasm) and shiny Karrablast.

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I've stated this before but I get mine through RNG methods and Masuda Method. Well I used to get them by Masuda until I learned to RNG. Back in the D/P/Pt days when I was obsessed with shiny's I used PokeSav. ;-;

Years
    I either trade with people, or use my AR. I only have encountered a shiny pokemon once in my Gold version many years ago. A shiny Hoot-Hoot that got away...

I have no patience for that Masuda method or soft resetting.

Back