• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you guys feel about "Mega" Evolution?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
  • but there really isn't any difference between the normal "Un-mega" forms and the Mega forms
    Source? I don't think you can state this without any proof.
    For all we know, it might or it might not be true ;)

If they're doing all the starter pokemon (Just blaziken would be mega-lame) I'm looking forward to Torterra, Feraligatr, Swampert, and Venasaur!
    I don't think all starters will be MEGAed... 'cause if they were, why would they only make Torchic event one?

Thergox

Average Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2014

Source? I don't think you can state this without any proof.
    For all we know, it might or it might not be true ;)

I think the source is really in the subject itself, but if you really want a visual -- here it is. Lucario itself is a pretty recognizable Pokemon -- spike in its chest and paws, floppy ear things, sort of a mask going on. But in the mega form, it's really just kind of spamming Lucario with generous amounts of designs that kind of take away from what it is. There really wasn't any thought, it seems, put into it other than making a mess over the Pokemon.

. . . Here's a better example (Rather than a harangue). If you see Mareep, it visually turns into something nothing like Mareep, but quite similar. However, Lucario's mega form looks just like Lucario, just with a few more additions. It hasn't really turned into anything different. Sure, this might be what the mega forms are going for, but they could at least give the Pokemon a little more respect than shunting all this stuff over it.

. . . Those are my thoughts. I don't mean to put anyone down, as I can be inadvertently rude at times, but thanks to anybody who actually listened.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I don't honestly care about looks... but it seems you were talking about it...
    My question was more like this... "What if their stats are different? Can you say that they are not different?"

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
    Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    MegaMewtwo

I don't like the fact that they change Awakened Mewtwo to MegaMewtwo. I can see that working, but I was thinking it was gonna be another form of Mewtwo instead of an evolution.
    Does anyone else agree or disagree with me.

Years
  • I don't really like the idea of the mega evolutions as a whole. Mainly that they are only during battle, and how lame the items are named. After the pokemon it evolves.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I, surprisingly enough, think the Mega forms are a cool addition. As for Mewtwo's new evo specifically, I think its normal look is better :p I guess it powers up its stats a bit but since Mega are only temporary in battle, I don't think it'll get a new move for it.

I can see that working, but I was thinking it was gonna be another form of Mewtwo instead of an evolution.
    In a sense, Mega evos are more like forms than proper evolutions. Since they are only temporary during battle. It's a powered-up state from which they later revert, from what I've heard and understood. Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Also, I'll just merge this with the existing Mega Evolution discussion thread in Pokémon General.

-merged

Years
  • I don't really like it at all, I think the mega designs I've seen thus far are kind of trashy and overdone, and that it's this generation's battling gimmick. (See: Rotation battlers, triple battles, etc.)

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I don't really like the idea of Mega Evolutions. Forms were pretty cool when they released it with Castform and Deoxys, but then they extended it and it just became annoying. I feel like Mega Evolutions are quite the same. Maybe it's a way for Pokemon with no evolutions to have another form for themselves to become finally stronger after so many Generations that passed, but they give it to Pokemon that are already powerful as they are (Blaziken & Ampharos). It's nice to see that they haven't given up on some less powerful and well known Pokemon such as Mawile, but besides that, Mega Evolutions is quite a no no for me.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    but they give it to Pokemon that are already powerful as they are (Blaziken & Ampharos). It's nice to see that they haven't given up on some less powerful and well known Pokemon such as Mawile
    I agree with this :( They should have used this as a way to power up pokémon like Mawile and Absol, and I don't really understand why they gave 2nd stage evolutions this new thing.

But still, they look cool in my eyes. And sure I haven't tried triple battles nor rotation battles, but a mega evo sounds a lot less annoying.

Years
  • It's an interesting idea. At the begining I was highly againts it, I mean change is hard. But after you think about it , it sounds like a good idea. My only problem is that they chose Ampharos and Blaziken and Mewtwo and even Lucario, they are pretty good Pokemons and are pretty iconic/famous. They should have chosen more underused Pokemons or some that at least deserve a evolution. They chose a good direction, but for now aren't executing it that well.

Well maybe the mega evolutions wont be huge boots and won't make them even stronger. We haven't seen the actual changes that come from mega evoluctions except the visual changes.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • Just as hyped as I am skeptic. I think it should be plenty of fun, but it could be game-breaking depending on exactly how powerful Pokemon get.

Steelix8

The Undertaker
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2014
    To me, it's no different than the Forme system so many Legendaries have. The only change is it activates in battle. I always liked the Forme system, so I like this too.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    As someone who advocates new innovations in Pokemon design and gameplay, I cannot say I'm particularly excited for these evolutions. As stated before, they could have simply made regular evolutions for all these Pokemon, or in Mewtwo's case, a forme change. And unless they make mega evolutions for all the Pokemon, it seems sort of whack that they choose who gets to evolve and who doesn't. Idk, this time around, the change seems very drastic.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
    Years
  • eehhhh. its okay. Cool and all but I feel x and y was just as good without them hahaaa. Basicallly they are the icing to the cake to me.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2014
    I like the idea of having another form that isn't permanganate...it's like the first time I saw Augumon Digivolve to wargreymon... blew my mind

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm sort of wondering why they chose to call them "Mega".

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm a huge fan of the whole MegaEvolutions concept. It'll open up a brand new way for us to do battles, and it will give us the chance to see the competitive battling scene through a different perspective. It may take us a while to adapt to this system, but we'll get used to it eventually.

My favorite MegaEvolution so far would have to be Mega Mewtwo X. It's got a pretty fierce design, and the way that it looks at you is simply awesome! I also like Mega Charizard Y. It's a lot slimmer than its original form, so I'm guessing it'll be able to move quite fast and dodge a few hits. d: Mega Charizard X doesn't look too bad, either, but I'm just not too fond of its new body color. Black and blue just don't go along with it very well. If it kept its original color scheme—orange and khaki—then it would have looked ten-times better, I'm sure. Mega Charizard X will be quite powerful on the offensive side of things, since it's getting a major increase in its Attack stat.

Since Charizard is getting two Mega forms, I think they should give a second MegaEvolution to Blastoise and Venusaur as well. Charizard, Venusaur, and Blastoise are all equal, so they should be treated as such.

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I think MegaEvolutions are lame and unrealistic, but I'm accustomed to the idea. I'm not really complaining at all, it's as close as you can get to improving old Pokémon. Many old Pokémon had awkward stats and movepools as back then it was more about sheer force. So I'm thinking this must be the only way to save old Pokémon (like Flareon).

If every final evolution is getting a MegaEvo, I'm proceeding to hype. The MegaEvolutions are adding assets to older Pokémon, so as to show their more "unique" forme. I believe this is an idea that takes time to get used to, but how bad could it be?

Since Charizard is getting two Mega forms, I think they should give a second MegaEvolution to Blastoise and Venusaur as well. Charizard, Venusaur, and Blastoise are all equal, so they should be treated as such.

This. I just think favourites always get hyped on and they come out always. Just because Charizard is "cooler", I suppose. That doesn't stop me from hyping over Blastoise and Venusaur, though.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • Sorry to radically change the subject, but I just had to laugh at the Pokemon Website showcasing the Megas...
    Ampharos: When Ampharos Mega Evolves into Mega Ampharos, its head and tail are covered with white fur in this new, gallant appearance. When Ampharos undergoes Mega Evolution, it gains the Dragon type in addition to its original Electric type.

Blastoise: The two rocket launchers on Blastoise's shoulders turn into a single huge cannon when it Mega Evolves into Mega Blastoise. This cannon boasts a blast range so great that it can strike targets more than six miles away!

Absol:When Absol undergoes Mega Evolution, it becomes Mega Absol.

Poor Mega Absol doesn't get much love compared to the others :P

I'm a firm believer that Venusaur and Blastoise should get two forms, and that Swampert and Treecko should have Mega Evos too, seeing as Torchic got one and all............

Back