• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you interpret Pokemon stats?

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    I know there is nothing tricky about Speed and Attack or Sp.Att. It's how fast a Pokemon moves and how hard it can hit. The trickiest stats though are HP, Def and Sp.Def! I know HP is Hit Points thus how much a Pokemon can withstand. But, what about it? You see Blissey has the most HP yet it can't withstand many physical attacks. So Def and Sp.Def play a big role. Then what exactly is Def? Okay I know Miltank has good defense because she is a cow and she has thick skin and fat and dense muscles for protection. Blissey has very low defense because she has thin skin, soft flesh and fat and very thin, weak muscles(thus the low attack).

So what does this mean? Blissey has low defense thus she gets damaged easily but she has high HP. So, would she be horrifically injured yet still standing? Something like a zombie?

I know I am kinda over-thinking it but it has been bugging me for a while. What in the world is HP? What does HP depend on? Mass? Stamina?

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2012
    They way I see it, mass does play a factor in HP. Obviously a Cleffable is going to have a higher HP than Cleffa. That may not always be the case though (i.e. Lanturn is not that bulky). Yet, when comparing different species, their ability to withstand different types of elements also plays a factor. But ultimately you can't pinpoint HP down for Pokemon as a whole. Different types of Pokemon tend to lean towards specific stats, but there are always exceptions, and the designers are the one to assign the stat allocations, whether it be based on physiology or some other (possibly unexplained) aspects.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    Oh well the designers make up the stats for every pokemon so as to be 'fair' in game. Like, Blissey should have measly defense because it already has outrageous HP and Sp.Def thus having high Def would be rather unfair. I can't imagine a Meowth having more Def than her. Anyway, HP does have mass as a factor as wailord is huge and has the most HP after blissey/chansey and wobbuffet. Like, if Pokemon were real what would HP be? Defense is likely the armor they have like thick skin, muscles, steel/rock armor etc

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Just think of the name, Health Points. It means how healthy they are at the moment. If you damage something small and large the equal amount, the small will be closer to the inability to battle more than the big one. It's how ready to fight they are.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    Droomph, I got to say your opinion on HP is so good! 'How ready they are to fight'. This is so logical! It kinda links to willpower also except than mass alone. If you shoot a Jigglypuff and a Wailord once at the same area Wailord, being bigger, won't bother as much thus it will be able to keep fighting. Jigglypuff on the other hand will be quite crippled. Chansey has so much HP because of her size but also because of her willpower to keep fighting. It's tenacious of life. I think HP is the package that consists of mass, willpower and kinda pain tolerance since if you are a weakling and can't take pain then you won't be willing to fight after a broken toe :D

Now it makes sense. I love you!

EDIT : I came up with another idea and I want to share it.

Def/ Sp.Def is how much protection your vital organs have and how much damage your body can keep away from them, while HP is how much direct damage your body and vital organs can tolerate.

Def is not about protecting the body but the organs. Most Pokemon have high Def because they have a sturdy body that protects what's in the inside. Besides, it's the vital organs that have to be damaged in order to kill someone. I could shoot you all day long on the legs and arms and as long as I could stop the bleeding you would never die.

HP is the ability of the Pokemon to survive and tolerate vital organ damage. This depends also on mass and size because the larger you are the bigger your organs are thus the more damage they can take. HP is about how robust your body and organs are.

Chansey and Blissey may not be huge but their vital organs are large and very robust thus they can tolerate insane damage. They have low Def because nothing protects their organs except from their soft, plushy body.
    For example, Miltank has dense muscles, thick skin and fat and heavy bones. This is why she has a great Def. Because her organs are well protected by her sturdy body. A punch won't do much against her because all of the shock will be absorbed by the muscles and her organs won't be damaged. Blissey doesn't have protection for her organs so a punch would directly damage her vital organs because nothing protects them or absorbs the shock. But, due to Blissey's robust organs she can tolerate it and keep on fighting.

If Miltank and Blissey suffered exactly the same damage to their organs then Blissey would keep kicking while Miltank would faint. That's because Blissey has higher HP and can tolerate more injuries.

E.g.
    Two guys have equally weak abs thus they have the same low def. You punch the first one and passes out after 1. The second one tolerates much more and faints after 10. The second clearly has more HP. The punches hit directly the organs because no muscles are there to absorb the shock. So, the second guy can tolerate more damage to his body and organs because his organs are more robust.

Something like that. Agree?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    How can a Pokemon have the same Def with another but less HP?

Jigglypuff and Carvanha. They both have a horrible base 20 Def, so their body is equally damaged by attacks. However, Jigglypuff has a much higher base 115 HP than Carvanha's base 45. This helps Jigglypuff survive more assaults. What's the difference between those two? How can Jiggylpuff have more HP?
    I mean a Slash will damage their bodies equally because they have the same defense but Jigglypuff will tolerate it much better because it has high HP.

Or Drifloon and Spoink. Both have the same Defense but Drifloon has higher HP. Why? How does it help it survive injuries better?

Wigglytuff and Drowzee is another example. Both have the same Defense thus their bodies are equally damaged. By this I mean that an attack will cause a wound of the same severity. However, Wigglytuff has more HP than Drowzee. How can Wigglytuff have more HP than Drowzee even though they are exactly the same size? What is HP that helps her survive injuries better?

Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon and Vaporeon. They all have exactly the same Defense! However Vaporeon has the highest HP out of them all thus it can tolerate more injuries and survive for a longer time. But why is that? What is HP and why does Vaporeon have higher HP?

Also, what's the difference between Pokemon with a high HP and a mediocre Def and Pokemon with a mediocre HP and a high Def.

For example, Umbreon and Vaporeon. They are both Eeveelutions. Vaporeon has lower Def but it has stellar HP while Umbreon has higher Def and a good HP. What does HP depend upon?
    How can Eevee evolve into a Pokemon with such a high HP but a mediocre Def yet be able to evolve into another Pokemon with a lower HP but a higher Def? Okay, concerning Defense, Umbreon's body may be sturdier and thicker. But what is HP?

How can Vaporeon have more HP than Umbreon?

How do they tend to take damage? I mean, Vaporeon having lower Defense is hurt more by physical attacks but then it has a high HP. Umbreon having a higher Defense is hurt less by physical attacks but then it has lower HP. How are they both affected by damage in a different manner?
    Like, Vaporeon's body is softer and gets damaged more easily but it can tolerate the damage done while Umbreon's body is much tougher so it doesn't get as damaged but it can't tolerate as much damage?

Back