• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How do you like to build your Kanto teams?

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    Well, just like the title of the thread says, how do you guys like to build your Kanto teams?

I have a couple ways I do it. I flip a coin. If I get heads, then I use Pokemon I use often and that go well together. If I get tails, then I decide to use Pokemon I don't use often, or haven't used at all. Either way, I still find a way to make interesting teams, but I love putting a little spin on it before I start the game, it makes building the team and the journey that much funner.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2023
    Sometimes I know all of the Pokémon Im going to use, relying on my favorites but other times I'll just play through the game until I find a Pokémon I think looks cool or cute and add it too the team.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I haven't exactly used any tactic to build my teams in Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen. I've simply relied on favoritism, and used whatever Pokémon that I happen to have liked at the time. Last time I've played FR, if I remember correctly, my crew consisted of Charizard, Hitmontop, Tauros, Scyther, Steelix, and Snorlax. Charizard was there because, well, I'm just a huge fan of Charmander, so I wound up selecting it as starter. Tauros and Scyther--they were both from Safari Zone, and are extremely tough to encounter. Since I've managed to capture them, I thought I might as well have them on my team. As for Hitmontop, Steelix, and Snorlax, it's a similar story; those Pokémon aren't very easy to come by, and generally, I'm just fond of them. They're quite easy to use, in my opinion!

Years
  • Long ago, when I was training my team, I either used exp. share (on weak pupils) or (if it was strong enough) used the pokemon itself to battle. Spamming pokemon league all day all night and they slowly reached level 100. I used powerups promptly too.

I must say my team is great. :D
    None of them are taking any damage in any battle anymore.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I like to plan out my team before I play and once I get the VS Seeker, I just go to town on random trainers until I feel like my team is strong enough to tackle the next gym.

Years
  • Every time I played FR/LG I planned different team to use and always ended up using the same usual... :P

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
    Years
  • I just pick the ones I think would be fun to use and start XD

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    I always choose a Pokemon if I think they're tough, or they have a move I need like, Razor Leaf, Water Gun etc.

That's another method I like using too, and an enjoyable one considering the possibilities of basing what Pokemon will be on your team depending on what moves you need. That's the method I use in GSC, I plan everything for the Red battle xD However, in FRLG I know I can get by with using my other methods, especially with all the good choices that are in Kanto.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I just solo'd with Charizard and maybe Pidgeot or Eevee since I didn't really like Kanto Pokemon that much when I played Leafgreen haha. Whether or not I had a real team doesn't really matter because I definitely didn't plan it and anything I used was done on a whim.

Charizard :P

A Wild Charizard
    Years
  • I really just catch any Pokémon I like, or I choose to get to know a newer one. But for some reason, I have to have Charizard or Pidgeot on my team.....

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I use 3 factors when making a team:
    Favorite Pokemon come first (competitive battling teams can be made later P: )
    Try to fit the best moves possible of each Type throughout the whole team at least once
    Try to fit all the required HMs in my team
    Normally this is fairly easy, the HM requirement was something I started after Heartgold. No Fly on my entire team. Not fun. :/ I also don't like being stuck in a cave and needing strength/rock smash/waterfall ect and missing ONE of about 5 HMs needed for a cave. Found this happening way too often :S

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    I just try and pick a well balanced team, generally with Pokémon I haven't used before. It does get kind of boring this long after release if you go for the same members each time.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I just choose a starter and then decide what I want to use with that and plan ahead and try not to use multiple pokemon of the same type.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2014
    I like to pick a team and stick with my team through the whole game I still catch Pokemon but I don't use them I trade my team order goes 1poison, 2grass,1ground,1flying type ,and my fav snorlax

La Espada

Captain Ressentiment
    Years
  • My team always revolves around my starter. I make sure I always have Pokemon that cover my starter's weaknesses. From there, I just try to pick Pokemon I like that can hold their own in battle.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2014
    For the most part my methodology is to have a resistant type to most types. So I have what types I want pre-determined. As far as picking the actual pokemon the general idea is to have an aggressive attacking team with ~2 for defense/taking hits. The defensive types are for just reviving in general but also can in general deal out damage when needed.

I usually play it safe this means usually using a team I know works. However there are times where I will turn to the little kid in me and use pokemon I've been curious about.. A more recent example of this is adding crobat, rhyperior and lanturn to my respitory of pokemon I am considering for a team..

So if my motives are to use a newer team to me then I still look at stats but will use pokemon I don't ever use. And there are a lot of them.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • I don't have a tactic other than having coverage so in my current LG I'm just playing it through and catching random Pokemon I've never used or maybe had used on another game once or twice.
    Currently have Charizard, Nidoqueen, Victreebel, Starmie, and Magneton and have no clue who to end it with yet lol, maybe a Johto Pokemon, idk yet.

The last time I played FR I planned my team out and gave them the proper nutrients they needed stat wise, and grinded up in EV hot spots if I could during my play-throughs.
    My FR save has Charizard, Electabuzz, Tyranitar, Lapras, Machamp, and Hypno. Team was a menace on the play-through;(except for Tyranitar).

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I do the same for all pokemon games which is pretty much just pick my teams on a whim during any given play-through and with a general bias towards stronger pokemon with good coverage. I also just make common sense additions to the team, ie if I start with Charmander, I'll get either Mankey or Nidoran to beat Brock, etc.

Back