• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you make your computer run faster?

Aberbecam

Banned
Years
  • The title explains it mostly. I have ccleaner but it doesn't really speed up computer at all. Any other programs i can use to make my computer run faster?

Nich'ya

Navsegda
    Years
  • Get a Registry Cleaner and scan for malware with your antivirus and Malwarebytes.

A good registry cleaner is Ccleaner.

That will make your computer run noticeably faster as it is. Don't expect it to run brand new though. :/

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Get a Registry Cleaner and scan for malware with your antivirus and Malwarebytes.

A good registry cleaner is Ccleaner.

That will make your computer run noticeably faster as it is. Don't expect it to run brand new though. :/
    The impact of a "registry cleaner" is minimal. That aside, CCleaner is quite awesome, but TS said he's already using it. Defraggler's also pretty useful.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Shove some volts up it's arse and clock the hell out of it.

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Great Party!
    Years
  • I usually back up and reinstall every 6 months to keep my system snappy. But between those, I usually on Windows just uninstall programs I don't need, clear out old files, CCleaner and defragment.

I have my AMD Athlon X2 7850 overclocked to 3.6GHz too, but it seems that Windows still tends to just suffer from these slowdowns no matter how much defrag, ccleaner or disk clean up you do. :/ I wish this didn't happen.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Attach two pairs of wheels and kick - It WILL run.

Apart from that, what you actually need is a virus cleanup (just in case), more RAM (unless you already have 4GB or more, in which case you don't need anymore), and a better and faster processor.

twocows

Years
  • Attach two pairs of wheels and kick - It WILL run.

Apart from that, what you actually need is a virus cleanup (just in case), more RAM (unless you already have 4GB or more, in which case you don't need anymore), and a better and faster processor.
    Faster IO speed on your hard drive and higher RPMs never hurt, either. Plus a nice graphics card if you're doing anything gaming- or video-related.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
    Years
  • Hit it, is what i do :P
    but really just if the upgrade to the ram doesn't work overclock then try upgrading your cpu

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Faster IO speed on your hard drive and higher RPMs never hurt, either. Plus a nice graphics card if you're doing anything gaming- or video-related.
    I thought the RPM are always fixed.
    And I can't stress the importance of at least a decent graphics card if the PC in question requires speed (and quality) for gaming and any graphics and video related software.

but really just if the upgrade to the ram doesn't work overclock then try upgrading your cpu
    You don't want to do that.

twocows

Years
  • I thought the RPM are always fixed.
    And I can't stress the importance of at least a decent graphics card if the PC in question requires speed (and quality) for gaming and any graphics and video related software.
    RPMs on a drive are fixed per drive. I meant buy a hard drive that has more RPMs to begin with; a 7200 RPM drive is noticeably better if you're doing a lot of IO operations.

Why did you choose that?
    Surely hitting it would do worse XD
    You were joking; the other person wasn't.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    RPMs on a drive are fixed per drive. I meant buy a hard drive that has more RPMs to begin with; a 7200 RPM drive is noticeably better if you're doing a lot of IO operations.
    But I thought that 7200 RPM is the default for the current market. How can someone miss it unless they bought their older HDD a long time back?

Surely hitting it would do worse XD
    You know I was kidding for the hitting part. But I wasn't kidding when I said the other thing. Overclocking is not a healthy way, if you know what I mean.

twocows

Years
  • But I thought that 7200 RPM is the default for the current market. How can someone miss it unless they bought their older HDD a long time back?
    It wasn't more than a few years ago where 5400 was standard; there are a lot of hard drives that still run at 5400. Most ones made today are 7200, but there are also some that run higher (though those are mostly useful for running a server or something).

Back