• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you make your Pokemon team?

Guest123_x1

I usually didn't plan when it came to to choosing a starter. Also, at various points along my journey, I changed members of my team (to the extent that my team that I have when I faced the first gym will have almost completely changed by the time I got to face the Elite Four).

Years
  • Plan, even as far as TMs. I'm a tactical guy ;)
    But, I only get dual-types. It's my speciality. Dual-types only. And then, I train them all; no matter how many rematches I have to do.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • Before I even buy a Pokemon game, I plan my team and all their moves as they level up. :P

When it comes to types though, I usually try to get a mix of everything. I usually fail at that though because sometimes I run into a Pokemon I never thought about having, fall in love, and I catch it for my team, heh...Plus, since my favorite types are flying and dragon, I usually have like 4 of those on my team, leaving space for only about 2 other types.

I'm a huge plan-ahead kind of person, but I never go through with it... :/

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I used to plan teams in advance always. I've since decided to stop, though, because it gets terribly boring having such a rigidly planned set of Pokemon. It can be difficult not to, though, when I'm playing the more recent games especially; I make it a point to use Pokemon I like but haven't gotten to train yet. Oftentimes I'll set my sights on one or two I'm especially eager to use, then a couple more, and then I notice I've pretty much planned a team. But generally I try to keep it loose and catch whatever seems appealing when I run into it.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I don't plan them, I will just go with the flow, caught a Pokemon with good nature? It goes into my team. Caught a Pokemon with high level? Goes into my team.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I plan on the types that I want to have in my party, i'm not too particular on the exact pokemon I use. For instance, if I want a water, I do equally fine with a Poliwhirl or a Gyarados or Kingler.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I definitely plan them beforehand, making sure my preferred types (water, electric, ground) are covered and that they're a type-diverse crew without overlapping types. Movesets are planned out in advance as well, though those have changed on the fly while in the middle of the game.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years
  • I plan some of them beforehand. There's usually one or two I absolutely want in my team due to simple preferences and the like. The rest however, I tend to just wing. I usually, but not always catch the "vendor trash" pokémon of any region, mostly because of my need for some early extra manpower.

It's a habit of mine to always try and get my favourite of that generation in my team. So Breloom from Hoenn, Slowbro from Kanto, etcetera. As for the further details on movesets, I pay some attention to it, but not as much, since I hardly ever devise some masterful tactic in my head. And I don't even pay attention to the stats, and IVs, and all those things I don't really know what they do to begin with, at all.

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
  • I just catch Pokemon and swap them [when I find something better/use another more] along the way~

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    I go by moveset, type, speed, and looks. All of my pokemon are all fours aka quadroped pokemon. I can't steer away from them. I try to have them cover each other weaknesses if they can't cover their own.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2013
    I just catch them as I go along if I like the way it looks I'll catch it and train it the only time I'll swap a pokemon out is if I find a better one I like,I need a certain type to beat a gym leader,they need to learn a certain move, or I catch the legendary pokemon otherwise I'll just keep the first six I catch until I beat the game then I'll catch and train a new set of pokemon.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • I usually just catch them and use them as I like... I never really have been much of a planning person. The most I plan in terms of team is when I battle competitively, or if there is a Pokemon that I love in the area.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I don't plan much, but if I'm able to, I'll try to take notes of type distribution in terms of defense and moves.

Years
  • I've started planning them recently; I'm quite meticulous in that I make sure I have a team of 6 that are not only some of my favourites, but will have an advantage against every type :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2012
    I plan the team before I play. i only choose different type pokes based on how good they are, and if it's my first time playing the gen (new pokemon) I also go after looks.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I don't explicitly plan out a team beforehand, but do make myself statistic-aware of anything that catches my interest before committing to it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2012
    I just do it based on my favorites or the coolest looking ones to me. their tiers/stats/evolutions/movesets don't really matter to me because honestly any team can be good competitively if you know what you're trying to do.

Years
  • I usually start the game and play it a while, and then I'll start to plan out a team. I like to make sure none of my team are the same types, so planning makes this easier to avoid.
    If Pokemon I want don't appear while late on in the game (such as Abomasnow in my latest Platinum adventure) I usually just catch a random Pokemon early on in the game and train it until I can get the Pokemon I planned to have.

Back