• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you speed up Scale X Fang?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I feel like the way people have been talking about the game is also kind of insulting to the developers, there's been a lot of saying that speedup is needed for the filler and grinding and bog standard story, without stopping to think that the developers may have gone out of their way and put a lot of work into avoiding these things. There's a lot of sentiment here and elsewhere that just kind of comes across as "This thing you put time and effort into is just content to be consumed and I don't want to engage with it on a level beyond that" and as an artist I find that insulting as well.

I feel like if people are that interested in not playing the game they can just not play the game. It's not like I'm interested in ..., they don't appeal to me because they're not the kind of thing I'm interested in playing. So I don't.
    I just wanted to say I agree with you (especially the quoted bits, but more-or-less everything you wrote), and hope you didn't come away from my post thinking that I'm on the side of removing the anti-speed-up :)

I don't think I agree that speed-up is never an accessibility feature, but I don't buy the argument that all games should be maximally accessible to all players at the cost of muddying the intended experience, and tedium as a way to encourage a different approach to the game is as old as games (this is what checkpoints do, for example).

EDIT: Also I notice that I've implicitly accepted a lot of the OP's positions in my responses. That's mostly to avoid getting distracted arguing about things that I don't think are central to my points, I'm not trying to tacitly endorse them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I just wanted to say I agree with you (especially the quoted bits, but more-or-less everything you wrote), and hope you didn't come away from my post thinking that I'm on the side of removing the anti-speed-up :).

Yeah I getcha I just used that as a jumping off point for the rest of my tangent. Was addressing the general response so I didn't have anyone to quote in particular.

Years
  • Are personal feelings towards people making the arguments getting in the way of people judging the arguments objectively?

If I wrote a novel and doubled its size by making every second page blank, I would be using filler content best skipped to inflate the runtime. Many games do it, but when I take grind out of the context of games, where it is normalized, it seems patently absurd.

Ever read a Sudoku book where puzzles you've already completed are reused, but with a bigger number slapped on them? You might be told this is a level fifteen Pidgey to fight with your level fifteen Charmander, but it's a Pidgey and a Charmander. You already beat a level 5 Pidgey with a level 5 Charmander. It's filler content. The new moves the wild Pidgey knows aren't going to have any impact on the battle. If a player wants to speed it up and loses because he wasn't using his brain, that's on the player. But if the player can speed it up and mash A without reading anything and win... Why was the content there in the first place? Why was it designed to take as long as it did? Some people have more tolerance for grinding and tedium than others, and those very tolerant people get to enjoy the kind of games Josh Strife Hayes eviscerates for being grindy in his videos, amongst countless other game design problems.

It wouldn't surprise me if anyone tried to muddy the water by conflating a game's difficulty to beat with how obnoxious a game is about the process of beating it. Grinding to max level in World of Warcraft isn't difficult, just time consuming. You have infinitely regenerating health out of combat, consumables to speed up the out of combat healing, consumable potions that heal you in combat, and some characters can consume MP or another resource to heal themselves. Some resources like Energy and Mana regenerate with time or with consumables, and some resources generate during combat like Combo Points and Rage. If you had infinite time, you could render all the mechanics to regenerate health at a cost irrelevant. The same is true in Pokemon. You can heal at the Pokemon Center, or you can use items to heal, but the process of running back and forth between a Pokemon Center and where you'd rather be isn't difficult, just tedious. A tedious process best sped up.

Not all players have the free time to play filler content at its intended pace. Taking the option to speed up content they deem best sped through harms the playability of your game, because you'd rather remove the speedup from a game than ask why people want to speed through it and why they would skip parts of it outright if given the option. You've given people affected by this change no choice but to skip your game, or slog through the parts they wish they could have sped up. Comments like "I'm not changing anything :)" don't emotionally affect me, even though that is why they are being written. You don't have to change anything, people who want to play your game and are willing to put up with this have ways of toggling speed up on and off. All this anti-speedup function did was stop the speed up button mapped to a controller from working properly. You've added needless tedium to the futile process of trying to stop people from skipping what they deem to be needless tedium. Tediumception. 10/10 game design, and if you hope the people negatively affected by your choice will raise awareness of your game, that's certainly a novel marketing tactic. If you don't want to listen to arguments and you just want to get an emotional response out of people by telling me you're not listening to me or anyone else... Well, okay. It's fine that you're not listening to any of the people negatively affected by your choice to make your game less accessible for them. If you hate them so much, if you want to turn them away at the door for not thinking your game is "too good" for speedup... Why should they care about your feelings?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Are personal feelings towards people making the arguments getting in the way of people judging the arguments objectively?
    That's a bit of an ironic claim, you seem to be talking past the arguments made by the other side too.

Some people have more tolerance for grinding and tedium than others, and those very tolerant people get to enjoy the kind of games Josh Strife Hayes eviscerates for being grindy in his videos, amongst countless other game design problems.
    You've come so close to understanding a different counterargument to your position, that some people actually enjoy grinding. There's no way to logic people out of that position. You can't just say "even though you think you enjoy grinding, actually you're wrong to do so". People enjoy what they enjoy.

I'm not a fan of grinding either, but that doesn't mean everybody should feel the same way about it. Just means that any games I make try to avoid grinding, and I try to avoid games made by people who enjoy grinding.

Also, whether repeating a battle is filler or not depends on the player. For example, when children play the game we can't assume that just because they beat a Pidgey once, that means they know how to beat all Pidgeys forever. It could have been a fluke, or a lucky roll, or maybe they've changed their party or moveset, or maybe they've taken some damage. Or even if it's 100% exactly the same, making them do the battle a second time reinforces the concepts of battling in their heads. You might say "children don't play ROM hacks" but I'd say there are plenty of people who aren't skilled at battles that play ROM hacks, and for those people the repeats can still hold value as practicing their skills.

So there's a 2nd and 3rd argument for what you call filler:
    1. The authors are allowed to make whatever experience they want, it doesn't have to cater to the widest audience.
    2. Some players enjoy what you would call filler. (Perhaps because they enjoy seeing numbers go up, or whatever).
    3. Some players need what you would call filler, because their skills are still developing and therefore it's not filler for them yet.

It wouldn't surprise me if anyone tried to muddy the water by conflating a game's difficulty to beat with how obnoxious a game is about the process of beating it.
    I'm sure I've seen that claim in other threads on the internet, but not here. So I'm not sure what your point is. Tedious processes can be sped up, but again, what counts as tedious is subjective and you've already said that different people have different tolerances, so... I don't think you're making a relevant point here—all I can get from it is that you're saying "some people like being able to play faster", but we all get that already. The disagreement is over whether authors have to cater for all speeds, or if they can choose a particular one they want to make an experience for.

If you hate them so much, if you want to turn them away at the door for not thinking your game is "too good" for speedup.
    I think this is probably the most obvious example of your personal feelings getting in the way. The authors don't hate speed-up advocates personally. It seems much more likely that at most, they hate speed-up and are tired of demands to justify themselves.

Last edited:

Max Elixir

PP Max
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Are personal feelings towards people making the arguments getting in the way of people judging the arguments objectively?
    No. But I'm completely certain that your personal feelings have. You've basically done everything you can to ignore people point-by-point responding to your (non) arguments and repeat essentially the same post over and over, responding to no one but your own desire to continue posting. You're more likely to stop replying to the thread outright than engage with what anyone is saying to you.
    Josh Strife Hayes
    I'm not convinced you even processed and retained the information present in JSH's video about the concept of grind in games. A bigger epidemic than people watching 2 video essays and thinking they're an expert on a subject might be people watching 2 video essays and not really engaging with the information or ideas present, just adding it to a list of videos they can say they've watched.
    Comments like "I'm not changing anything :)" don't emotionally affect me, even though that is why they are being written.

If you don't want to listen to arguments and you just want to get an emotional response out of people by telling me you're not listening to me or anyone else... Well, okay. It's fine that you're not listening to any of the people negatively affected by your choice to make your game less accessible for them. If you hate them so much, if you want to turn them away at the door for not thinking your game is "too good" for speedup... Why should they care about your feelings?
    To you, "you're not listening to people" means "you're not doing everything I want". The victim complex is massively strong, here.
    It wouldn't surprise me if anyone tried to muddy the water by conflating a game's difficulty to beat with how obnoxious a game is about the process of beating it. Grinding to max level in World of Warcraft isn't difficult, just time consuming. You have infinitely regenerating health out of combat, consumables to speed up the out of combat healing, consumable potions that heal you in combat, and some characters can consume MP or another resource to heal themselves. Some resources like Energy and Mana regenerate with time or with consumables, and some resources generate during combat like Combo Points and Rage. If you had infinite time, you could render all the mechanics to regenerate health at a cost irrelevant. The same is true in Pokemon. You can heal at the Pokemon Center, or you can use items to heal, but the process of running back and forth between a Pokemon Center and where you'd rather be isn't difficult, just tedious. A tedious process best sped up.

Not all players have the free time to play filler content at its intended pace. Taking the option to speed up content they deem best sped through harms the playability of your game, because you'd rather remove the speedup from a game than ask why people want to speed through it and why they would skip parts of it outright if given the option. You've given people affected by this change no choice but to skip your game, or slog through the parts they wish they could have sped up. Comments like "I'm not changing anything :)" don't emotionally affect me, even though that is why they are being written. You don't have to change anything, people who want to play your game and are willing to put up with this have ways of toggling speed up on and off. All this anti-speedup function did was stop the speed up button mapped to a controller from working properly. You've added needless tedium to the futile process of trying to stop people from skipping what they deem to be needless tedium. Tediumception. 10/10 game design, and if you hope the people negatively affected by your choice will raise awareness of your game, that's certainly a novel marketing tactic.
    We've come to the main attraction. Based on how you speak of Pokemon games, I think it would be very deeply fascinating to watch you play one the way you normally do. Or at least, fascinating in the sense that I'm almost certain you would prove the theory I'm formally presenting today to be completely accurate.

People who are for emulator speedup are not for it because they are against the idea of grinding. You don't want no grinding or less grinding, no matter how much you try to make it about that. You outright want to grind, and will do so at the first opportunity. You just want a way to skip through the time consuming part of your own deliberately broken playstyle.

How can I be so sure? Well, you signal it every time you describe what it is you want to skip. You and others of like mind see grind as an inevitable tedium that must be sped through because to you, it is inevitable. You want to do it, because you want the benefits of having done so. You want to do it, which is why you ignore everyone telling you that a game might not be designed in such a way that even necessitates doing it. To you, that argument doesn't compute because choosing to grind is your default behavior. You basically play the game wrong, on purpose. (And I look forward to you ignoring everything else in this post except for this sentence in order to reply to anything you possibly can if it means not engaging with any responses to your arguments.)

When a normal player of "The Pocket Monster" sees a patch of grass, they see an opportunity to meet and maybe collect new monsters. When you see a patch of grass, you see an opportunity to mindlessly hold down the space bar for a couple minutes to make sure everything in your party is either of an equal level, or a level high enough to diminish any future sections of the game where you could be challenged. When a normal player sees that most heal points are free, they probably understand that they don't drain your resources so you can't get "stuck" with no way to progress if you run dry. That they are in safe zones far away from progression to discourage doubling back at every opportunity. You see free heal points and easy access to a way to move at hyperspeed as a design ripe to exploit. You recognize that Pokemon Centers are far away on purpose, but mistakenly identify the "tedious" act of walking back to one every time you "need" to heal as a failure of Pokemon's design that you must be allowed to skip through, rather than a deliberate deterrent against tedious behavior. The goal is to discourage taking the trip back outright. You are being pushed back against by the game in the softest way possible and still protesting.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2023

If I wrote a novel and doubled its size by making every second page blank, I would be using filler content best skipped to inflate the runtime. Many games do it, but when I take grind out of the context of games, where it is normalized, it seems patently absurd.

With analogies like this I can't confidently say you read much of anything at all. Nobody who cares about art sees it this way, and once again you operate on the faulty assumption that grinding is required or that the game does not give you ample tools to avoid things like this such as Repels or being able to save anywhere on the overworld.

Really, to me, it just sounds like you don't actually like Pokémon gameplay. You should, once again, go and play a different game; https://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

Years
  • >if you don't like that a game was designed to take away the fast forward button, you should play cookie clicker
    Yep, there it is.
    Was wondering how long it would take someone to say "you're playing the wrong game, go play a clicker game".
    Zero empathy for those with accessibility requirements.
    Zero understanding of the core issue.
    Smug narcissistic dismissal.
    Yet you expect me to keep talking to you, and you expect me to keep trying to explain to you how you are wrong, even though you have demonstrated that you don't care.
    I expect you to get more aggressive, and more demeaning and dismissive, when I call you out on this. Wouldn't surprise me if I was reported and censored for saying this because I've seen this sort of behaviour on forums before.
    I don't know why I'm about to take you seriously and continue trying to explain how to correct your fundamental misunderstanding of me and the issue.
    Mashing in cookie clicker takes no brainpower, just like grinding through filler content in Pokemon.
    It's absurd to dismiss someone with "you just don't like pokemon" if they complain about grind and want to speed the process up. What's next, are you going to tell me I "Just don't like Star Wars" if I express support for the fanmade recuts of the Prequel Trilogy that cut out garbage best skipped over? I thought I'd already established that I liked Undertale, and I liked Radical Red. I like good RPGs. I like good shows. I like good things. I know dismissing someone with "You're the problem" makes you feel like you said something intellectual and astonishing, but the only astonishing thing here is that you'd want the worst character from Watchmen as your avatar. Did he seem smart to you?

You know, there's a parallel timeline where the creator whose game we are talking about thought "I'd better design this game to be too challenging and intellectually involved for people who JUST want to mash A with the speed up" instead of "I'd better take away speed up so whenever someone is ever boredly mashing A due to my writing and game design skills, and wants to speed this process up and get to the next thing that'll make him think faster, he can't because of me".

Max Elixir

PP Max
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Yep, there it is.

[...]you expect me to keep talking to you, and you expect me to keep trying to explain to you how you are wrong, even though you have demonstrated that you don't care.

Keep? You never started.
    You've basically done everything you can to ignore people point-by-point responding to your (non) arguments and repeat essentially the same post over and over, responding to no one but your own desire to continue posting. You're more likely to stop replying to the thread outright than engage with what anyone is saying to you.

I expect you to get more aggressive, and more demeaning and dismissive, when I call you out on this. Wouldn't surprise me if I was reported and censored for saying this because I've seen this sort of behaviour on forums before.

The victim complex is massively strong, here.

Last edited:

manta

★★★★★
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2024
    >if you don't like that a game was designed to take away the fast forward button, you should play cookie clicker
    Yep, there it is.
    Was wondering how long it would take someone to say "you're playing the wrong game, go play a clicker game".
    Zero empathy for those with accessibility requirements.
    Zero understanding of the core issue.
    Smug narcissistic dismissal.
    Yet you expect me to keep talking to you, and you expect me to keep trying to explain to you how you are wrong, even though you have demonstrated that you don't care.
    I don't know why I'm about to take you seriously and continue trying to explain how to correct your fundamental misunderstanding of me and the issue.
    Mashing in cookie clicker takes no brainpower, just like grinding through filler content in Pokemon.
    It's absurd to dismiss someone with "you just don't like pokemon" if they complain about grind and want to speed the process up. What's next, are you going to tell me I "Just don't like Star Wars" if I express support for the fanmade recuts of the Prequel Trilogy that cut out garbage best skipped over? I thought I'd already established that I liked Undertale, and I liked Radical Red. I like good RPGs. I like good shows. I like good things. I know dismissing someone with "You're the problem" makes you feel like you said something intellectual and astonishing, but the only astonishing thing here is that you'd want the worst character from Watchmen as your avatar. Did he seem smart to you?

You know, there's a parallel timeline where the creator whose game we are talking about thought "I'd better design this game to be too challenging and intellectually involved for people who JUST want to mash A with the speed up" instead of "I'd better take away speed up so whenever someone is ever boredly mashing A due to my writing and game design skills, and wants to speed this process up and get to the next thing that'll make him think faster, he can't because of me".
    This game is designed to be a story-based experience where you manage your resources effectively in order to venture through large areas whilst keeping your party intact. If you don't like the writing or the design, then you shouldn't play the game. I'm not trying to appeal to everyone and gain as large of an audience as possible; I am listening to feedback to make the battles snappier and story flow better, but I want to be met halfway. If the game as a whole is boring you, then you shouldn't play it.

This will be the last time I will talk about anti speed-up in Scale x Fang. My view is clear and my mind will not be changed. It's getting tiring justifying myself to people who don't want to understand my decision.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Undertale continued to be something I thought about after I put the game down. In that sense, I thought about it more than any RPG that lets the player mash A at 8x speed...

Come to think of it, maybe there's a better way to look at it. Whether a game "lets" you turn your brain off, or wants you to turn your brain off but won't let you, is more complicated than that. I chose to play that Roguelite Pokemon Emerald hack at 1x speed because I wanted the authentic Pokemon experience, music and all, from this game. And because it was my choice, I didn't mind it at all.

Pokemon Grand Colosseum was an excellent hack. But because it was built on Pokemon Colosseum, there were parts that really tested a man's patience. Remember that part in Pyrite Town where you have to go through a building full of villains, but to go back to the healing station on the ground floor, you have to take a one-way shortcut to it down an elevator, and then run the long way back up through the building? Your capacity to heal is infinite, only limited by your patience and how much real-world time you're willing to give to the grind. After getting sick of this I turned on cheats to give myself healing items, and swore to only use them outside of battle to speed up the process of healing my Pokemon and getting back into the action. Devil May Cry's bloody palace is built around not letting you heal. This isn't Devil May Cry. There is sadly no timing-based mechanic that allows you to make your Pokemon invulnerable, building up damage to unleash it in one spectacular perfectly timed Royal Release. If a music-based rhythm game was put into the game like in Mother 3, deaf people would only be able to engage with it by turning on optional visual stimulus as part of an accessibility feature in the options menu.

Celeste is a platform game inspired by Super Mario World. The protagonist Madeline has an 8-way airdash like any great fighting game character. It's quite a challenging game, and its deep plot will make you think about things even after you're done with the game, but to go into more detail there would spoil things. I'd spoil them if I was an asshole, but I'm the one who likes accessibility. There are excellent accessibility features, despite how hard the game is intended to be. You are given the tools to cheat yourself out of a good time when you downloaded the game onto a PC that could contain cheat engine, or allow you to edit your save file, or do all sorts of other tricks. This game's accessibility options are years ahead of most of the industry. You can make things more playable for people with problems playing Celeste the way it was meant to be played, and you can make the challenge of the game easier for you at any time. You can even speed things up to make things harder. If there's a tricky bit, you can slow the game down for a while to make timing your inputs right and executing the challenge easier. I never did this, I'm hardcore, but I'm sure it was appreciated by people who used it their first climb up the mountain, and didn't use it on their second or third climb. If you want to cheat outright, you can give yourself more airdashes, even infinite airdashes. And the game doesn't punish you for it. You are given the tools to make the experience as easy as you want and there is no judgement for it, no pretentiousness, no hatred or scorn, just a welcoming environment that wants you to make the challenge fair for you. The game doesn't put a silly hat on the protagonist like how I Wanna Be The Guy put a girly little bow on the protagonist The Kid for playing on easy mode. There is no bad ending where your friends call you a loser for cheating and punt you back down to the base of the mountain like a football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NInNVEHj_G4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tUdQ6N5ZzI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulPylQ8Uw8o

Non-repeatable information gives you one chance to notice something vital to your forward progression. If you were distracted and you missed something unrepeatable, or accidentally clicked through two text boxes at once, that's bad design because it would take less than a minute to make talking to any nearby NPC or looking at a quest log refresh the memory of any player who was distracted, or took a break from the game and forgot the plot, or started mashing through text wishing there was a skip cutscene button. These people don't need punishment and scorn and more spite than a pretentious college boy making "real art films" could muster. A great story makes people want to read it all. Difficult and mentally engaging battles demand that you pay attention to what's going on and think about your combat strategy a level deeper than "Hit them really hard with a STAB move. or super effective coverage move if that would do more damage". But if the game allows the easiest simplest strategy, "fill your team with strong guys and just mash your best attack", is the game really entitled to any more of the player's time or brainpower than it was designed to require?

People mash A with their brain in Battery Saver mode when that's the amount of brainpower and attention the game earns from them with its story, gameplay, and challenge level. If they can increase the speed, they do so to get this over with faster. It's what people do when they think "I could be doing anything else right now. Can't we get this over with?". Even if the ultimate method was found to stop someone from speeding the game up with any emulator function, Cheat Engine's speedhack, Pokesav, cheatcodes for rare candies and master balls and full restores+max revives and walking through walls, or anything else, it wouldn't make dull sections of the game better, it would make them worse by making them worse to play through. People who crave intellectual stimulation would find it in other ways. They would still mute the game and play podcasts or music in the background. People might mash A on their controller while watching youtube videos by this genius right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5C-V5-JBpg or people might even drop the game and just listen to podcasts and good music at the same time.

Is anyone here familiar with a game called Copy Kitty? It's exhilarating. It's excellently designed. The soundtrack is easily one of the greatest video game soundtracks of all time. If I said you can taste the Mega Man inspiration, it would be an undeserved compliment to Mega Man, because Mega Man was never this good. This game is huge. It's got so much content! And it's all good content. I wouldn't want to skip a second of it. Even the cutscenes! In the brief moments of talking between gameplay, the characters aren't waffling melodramatic clumsy exposition-stuffed soliloquys at each other. The characters are loveable. The characters are revealing lore vital to an interesting world I want to know more about. I doubt anyone could beat it at 1.25x speed. Let alone 8x speed. I doubt anyone would want to. When I was playing Copy Kitty, I wasn't thinking "I wish this would end soon". I was thinking "I wish this game would last forever".

Just playing the game at 1x speed, I had to take breaks from the game. It's a pretty intense game. And I wouldn't have it any other way. This game gives you everything you want out of a good game without any filler. You don't have to run back and forth between where you go to make progress and where you go to heal. You don't have to sit around waiting for text boxes and slowly depleting health bars before your opponent who's already dead notices you've killed him and lets you progress.

Max Elixir

PP Max
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023

Who are you replying to, dude? You know people responding to you aren't trying to prove how long a message they could post at once, right? They were saying something, and more importantly, asking you something. I was asking you something. You're not really behaving like a person right now, your post might as well be AI generated.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

I think this just confirms to me you haven't actually been reading the arguments you're responding to because this is the third time he's said this.
    Like, he said it a week ago. If you were still waiting for someone to say it I genuinely don't believe that you've been reading the the posts you're arguing with.

>Zero empathy for those with accessibility requirements.

Again, I have ADHD and I think your moral grandstanding over this is ridiculous. You just don't want to play the game. Not reading any of the story and level grinding so you don't have to use strategy is not an accessibility feature.

Grinding isn't required, you just have to play smart. I think it's clear that you don't actually want to. When you grind to get past obstacles, you're playing on easy mode, but it's slow and tedious because the game doesn't actually want you to do this. Being able to speed up that process is not good game design, it's not an accessibility feature, it's finding a workaround to play the game in a way the game clearly doesn't want to be played. I'm not even talking about Scale Fang, or even Pokemon, but just grinding in well designed RPGs in general. To put it simply, grinding is bad.

Max Elixir

PP Max
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Isn't that also the reason why Exp. Boosting items were created in general ? To slightly ease up the tedious part of grinding ? Or in some cases, instant Lv.Up items ?

That is only a replacement for the outcome of grinding, giving you the product of having grinded without you having done it, just removing the time waste instead of the grind. It didn't address the behavioral problem, it just gave someone misbehaving what they want without any inconvenience for them.

Years
  • You know what's great about the truth not being democratically determined or subjective? I don't have to convince anyone or their personal fanclub and discord buddies why going out of your way to remove an accessibility feature your game naturally has, out of fear that people will "just speed through all of your game without appreciating it", is not the right response to that fear. It doesn't matter who thinks I'm wrong to say this, because there are better ways the developer could have handled these fears. The developer didn't have to make this fear the problem of anyone who wants to play his game. It was wrong for the developer to go out of his way to make the intended experience of playing his game worse for everyone, but thankfully it failed because there are ways around the anti-speed up so the effort was redundant anyway, and the choice to put in this effort to remove an accessibility option the player already had cannot be compared to an inherently audio-based timing challenge or any other false equivalence thrown around in this thread. I don't have to explain why I am right to anyone who's not going to listen.

I'll give it one more go. I'll avoid retreading points brought up in that Game Maker's Toolkit video, just in case anyone already watched it.

The process of running back and forth to the Pokemon Center to heal is dull. It's not gameplay, it's tedium. Deja vu, you've been through this place before. There are no interesting choices being made here. You're trading seconds of IRL life for a heal ingame. Would anything fundamentally vital to the core gameplay loop of finding and catching Pokemon and battling trainers be lost if this process was 6x faster? Would it do anything good for that loop if the process took 6x longer? Would anything really change if there was a Key Item that healed you on the spot after being forced to wait for the time it would take for your player character to run back to the Pokemon Center? You know, like a mobile game's wait timer, something you'd expect to see on a facebook game? It could be argued that the choice to use a Pokemon center instead of a limited supply of healing items is an interesting choice, but that would be wrong, because while the healing items you can purchase are limited by your funds and the healing items you can find are limited by your environment, your funds are not limited. IRL time can be wasted grinding to obtain practically infinite funds to obtain a practically infinite supply of healing items. If deciding how much of your life to trade away to get through a game seems like an interesting choice, you might enjoy facebook games, or playing The Longing without doing anything ingame to speed up the timer.

You might be afraid of players mashing A through text, but players who do this have decided the story is not valuable to them. Maybe they've played your game once already and would rather skip the cutscenes, or maybe this is their first time playing and they just don't care about the worldbuilding and characters and complex sociopolitical commentary on socioeconomic disparity in a pokemon game about a ten year old and his pet monsters kicking the ass of countless adults and saving them from the local mafia, cult, or gaggle of bullied kids. You can't convince these people to care about your writing and they won't appreciate any attempt to try and make them sit through dialogue they don't care about at the intended pace. Nobody owes you anything. Nobody owes you a fair shot. Nobody even owes you a chance to impress them with your writing. No writer on this planet is owed a reader. Every writer should cherish the readers they have, not make their product worse out of spite for people who might be reading wrong. I'm not being unreasonable here, I'm telling you how "unreasonably" new writers are judged. Remind me again, what's the name of that author who is still, to this day, being mocked for writing a garbage Star Wars ripoff about dragons when he was a teenager? The world doesn't owe you a pat on the back for trying. And the world doesn't owe you valuable constructive feedback. So when an author is given feedback, the good authors ask what they can learn from this, if anything can be learned from it. Trash feedback like "You should have written about fish instead of murder mysteries because I like fish more than murder mysteries" can be ignored if your goal is to write a murder mystery. But all those people who asked how they can get around a choice that intentionally tried to make the game worse for everyone, not just people who used the speed up button "too much"... They don't think that choice of yours is a valuable part of the Pokemon experience in the way that audio-based timing challenges are to Mother 3 and difficulty is to Dark Souls. Your game isn't Dark Souls or Mother 3. When people tell others how to get around the anti-speedup, does it frustrate you? It certainly doesn't frustrate the people who want to speed up your game, like spoiling the end of a murder mystery would frustrate people who want to figure out the killer for themselves as they read instead of just watching the detective hero do all the thinking. That's because nothing intellectual and vital to the pokemon experience is lost when grind, no matter how minimal, is minimized further.

Ever play Dark Souls? The only Dark Souls game I've played so far respawns enemies if you run back to heal. This clearly communicates how the process of getting through the area in one go is the intended experience, it's what was tested and balanced for. The player is punished for running back to heal. This turns running back to heal into a choice with trade offs. Is it worth running back to heal, and re-doing this route again? Would you do better this time, know what to watch out for, improve as a player? It also ensures any moment where you take damage puts you closer to death and the need to retry. This adds tension to the combat. Even if you could defeat an enemy by running forwards and attacking like a moron without doing anything smart like trying to avoid damage, losing health in the process makes the rest of the game harder until you can get to a source of healing. It's an interesting game design choice, one of many in the Dark Souls series, and I think it would improve Scale X Fang 2: Claw X Foot or whatever you decide to call it. Resetting trainers every time the route is left until the route is cleared sounds like something that would be easy for Pokemon. I think I'll do it if I ever make another Pokemon game. If you're afraid of people speeding through dialogue and missing something, let people skip it and then talk to NPCs afterwards to be told where to go and what to do unless you're writing a sidequest mystery where the player is actually supposed to puzzle things out based on missable clues. That element of figuring things out for yourself served Fallout well, but then again this isn't Fallout. If you're afraid of people speeding through gameplay, create gameplay challenges that can't be beaten by mindlessly attacking without paying attention to the game's intricacies and tradeoffs. And for the music, if you want people to listen to it at the intended speed, let people listen to it outside the game. If people are going to mute the game and speed it up, or mute the game and listen to audiobooks while mashing A at the intended speed instead of the player-desired speed if that's not an option, there's a chance the player will listen to the game's OST via youtube or soundcloud or bandcamp.

No meaningful interesting choices are made when gameplay boils down to "mash A for a bit" or "backtrack to the pokemon center and backtrack back to where I was" and nothing is lost by speeding this process up. Do you know what's gained when this process is sped up? Time.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I've been avoiding posting in this thread any further past my earlier posts, as it was very clear that I wasn't going to get anywhere and as such I have no interest in taking part in this argument any further. However, I do want to politely request that you try and keep this nasty "I am objectively right, you're all just a stupid personal brigade against me" attitude and your insistence on bringing up accessibility in every post very seperate; it's not my concern which of the two you choose to avoid. As I've already mentioned, poor attitudes and misguided stances on morality and subjectivity make genuine progress in this field much harder than it needs to be, so the behaviour you're exhibiting does nothing to improve the situation.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The process of running back and forth to the Pokemon Center to heal is dull. It's not gameplay, it's tedium. Deja vu, you've been through this place before. There are no interesting choices being made here. You're trading seconds of IRL life for a heal ingame.
    Well yes backtracking to the Pokemon Center is a waste of time, it's designed that way because the game is trying to disencourage you from doing it. The whole point of having the free healing areas be spread out is to encourage you to trek on ahead with healing items you bought and not waste time by walking back to the center every time you get hurt. It's about resource management.

Your view on game design is very skewed, you're calling something bad game design because you're doing the opposite of what the game design is trying to push you to do.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I don't have to convince anyone or their personal fanclub and discord buddies why going out of your way to remove an accessibility feature your game naturally has
    and the choice to put in this effort to remove an accessibility option the player already had
    1. If you want to continue claiming that speedup is an accessibility feature, you should actually provide arguments as to why it is. Multiple people in the thread have responded to your accessibility claims in good faith, including MrKyurem who created a detailed post about accessibility in video games which you have yet to respond to, instead continuing to baselessly assert that speedup is an accessibility feature.
    2. You cannot really say that speedup (or any feature) is something natural or innate to the game. Like any other feature, it can be removed if the game developer believes it to be against their overall product design. Just because it is a widely accepted feature in the overall community, doesn't mean that it has immunity from being removed. As such, pointing out that speedup is natural is an irrelevant point. As an example, emulators have the ability to pause the game, which I view as a positive feature, as you might need to take short or long breaks and don't want the game to continue running. If a ROM Hack somehow released with a feature to prevent pausing, proper arguments would focus not on pausing being a widely accepted feature, but why pausing is actually a good feature that shouldn't be removed.
    I don't have to convince anyone or their personal fanclub and discord buddies why going out of your way to remove an accessibility feature your game naturally has, out of fear that people will "just speed through all of your game without appreciating it", is not the right response to that fear. It doesn't matter who thinks I'm wrong to say this, because there are better ways the developer could have handled these fears. The developer didn't have to make this fear the problem of anyone who wants to play his game. It was wrong for the developer to go out of his way to make the intended experience of playing his game worse for everyone
    There are better ways the developer could have handled these fears [of people using speedup]. The developer didn't have to make this fear the problem of anyone who wants to play his game. It was wrong for the developer to go out of his way to make the intended experience of playing his game worse for everyone
    Firstly, not everyone is bothered by the speedup prevention, so don't go stating that the game has been made "worse for everyone", as there are people who never use speedup anyway.

Secondly, you are right in that it is better to fix the root cause of why people want to speedup. But unfortunately, doing so is not enough to prevent people from using speedup. I want to bring up another recently released hack called Pokémon Coral. It features a plethora of engine improvements that make the game feel super responsive and buttery smooth. Despite this, people still feel the urge to use speedup (based on some online let's plays). The point being that no matter what you may do to try to fix the root causes of speedup in the first place, some people will want to use speedup anyway.

With that in mind, people don't play games in a vacuum. They discuss with friends and other players and they share media about the game online. In that sense, it is justified for a developer to control how their game is played. Disallowing speedup means that people who don't want to appreciate the game as a whole and only portions of it will not play the game, and that any discussion around the game will be had by people who have a greater appreciation of the game. It means that people won't spend 20 minutes in the grass with speedup trying to overlevel their team above the gym leader. It means that let's players and streamers will be forced to play the game at 1x speed, which the developer might find more satisfying to watch.

Therefore, the developer's response to the fear of people using speedup is justified. It solved the problem of discouraging people who would not truly appreciate the game from playing, thus curating a more appreciative fanbase. Whereas you see the antispeedup as a problem, the developer sees it as a solution to unappreciative players.
    The process of running back and forth to the Pokemon Center to heal is dull. It's not gameplay, it's tedium. Deja vu, you've been through this place before. There are no interesting choices being made here. You're trading seconds of IRL life for a heal ingame. Would anything fundamentally vital to the core gameplay loop of finding and catching Pokemon and battling trainers be lost if this process was 6x faster? Would it do anything good for that loop if the process took 6x longer? Would anything really change if there was a Key Item that healed you on the spot after being forced to wait for the time it would take for your player character to run back to the Pokemon Center?
    Mukuitsjanuary and many others have explained to you repeatedly why backtracking to the Pokémon Center is an option at all. But I want to elaborate on another point. Namely, I consider it reductive to consider backtracking to the Pokémon Center as a purely pointless exercise. Firstly, you might accidentally hit some trainers on the way back. More importantly, one of the key appeals of Pokémon is the aspect of exploration. Needing to travel between routes is a core aspect of the gameplay. There isn't an option to simply teleport to each trainer and obstacle to make a decision because Pokémon is a roleplaying game where you play as a Pokémon trainer, and part of that involves needing to travel through routes. While backtracking to the Pokémon Center does "waste" time in the sense that you don't make any progress, it gives you an opportunity to experience travelling through the route again. And you might say that "oh, then why don't you just go back and forth between a route if you want to do that", to which I respond by saying that doing things is more fun when there's a purpose attached to it.

I will state that this is a subjective observation and not a strong point, and that tastes may vary. But I think that there is merit to the core argument that there is enjoyment in itself on travelling between routes as part of the roleplaying aspect of Pokémon.
    It could be argued that the choice to use a Pokemon center instead of a limited supply of healing items is an interesting choice, but that would be wrong, because while the healing items you can purchase are limited by your funds and the healing items you can find are limited by your environment, your funds are not limited. IRL time can be wasted grinding to obtain practically infinite funds to obtain a practically infinite supply of healing items.
    The argument here is that there is no actual choice between using a Pokémon Center vs using a limited supply of healing items because you can accumulate effectively infinite healing items via infinite funds. I want to address two possible scenarios of how you get these infinite funds to show why this argument falls flat:

1. Getting infinite funds requires significant time investment, possibly by thieving wild Pokémon, using Pay Day a bunch of times, or doing trainer rematches.
    • In this scenario, while it is theoretically possible to acquire infinite items via infinite funds, the player is discouraged from doing so because of how tedious the effort is. Meaning that in practice, the player only has a limited pool of items to use, thus the decision to use items vs backtracking to the Pokémon Center is still there. Also, there is a player decision in deciding whether to do such a money grind, that decision being influenced by whether the time spent grinding is worth the value in getting those extra items.
    2. Due to poor balance or whatever, getting infinite funds is trivial.
    • In this scenario, while this indicates a balance issue of the game, it nullifies your example of Pokémon Center backtracking to your overarching argument that "removing speedup is bad is because the areas that one would use speedup do not add to the game anyway", because if getting such a stockpile of items was possible, then backtracking to the Pokémon Center wouldn't be an issue in the first place because you could just heal in the field.

As an aside, this point feels reminiscient of Radical Red's recent update, in that it tried to "fix" the tedium of people grinding on wilds to get certain items held by those Pokémon by just giving you those items (and also "fixed" grinding itself by just giving you infinite Rare Candies). I put "fix" in quotes is that these are just bandaid solutions to the problem that Pokémon's systems are not well designed for a primarily strategic experience, and that Radical Red would be a much better game if it dropped the JRPG framework and tried to be an exclusively battle and resource management roguelite (not like Emerald Rogue, which still has "routes" which I find kind of pointless).
    You might be afraid of players mashing A through text, but players who do this have decided the story is not valuable to them. Maybe they've played your game once already and would rather skip the cutscenes, or maybe this is their first time playing and they just don't care about the worldbuilding and characters and complex sociopolitical commentary on socioeconomic disparity in a pokemon game about a ten year old and his pet monsters kicking the ass of countless adults and saving them from the local mafia, cult, or gaggle of bullied kids. You can't convince these people to care about your writing and they won't appreciate any attempt to try and make them sit through dialogue they don't care about at the intended pace. Nobody owes you anything. Nobody owes you a fair shot. Nobody even owes you a chance to impress them with your writing. No writer on this planet is owed a reader. Every writer should cherish the readers they have, not make their product worse out of spite for people who might be reading wrong. I'm not being unreasonable here, I'm telling you how "unreasonably" new writers are judged. Remind me again, what's the name of that author who is still, to this day, being mocked for writing a garbage Star Wars ripoff about dragons when he was a teenager? The world doesn't owe you a pat on the back for trying. And the world doesn't owe you valuable constructive feedback. So when an author is given feedback, the good authors ask what they can learn from this, if anything can be learned from it. Trash feedback like "You should have written about fish instead of murder mysteries because I like fish more than murder mysteries" can be ignored if your goal is to write a murder mystery. But all those people who asked how they can get around a choice that intentionally tried to make the game worse for everyone, not just people who used the speed up button "too much"... They don't think that choice of yours is a valuable part of the Pokemon experience in the way that audio-based timing challenges are to Mother 3 and difficulty is to Dark Souls. Your game isn't Dark Souls or Mother 3. When people tell others how to get around the anti-speedup, does it frustrate you? It certainly doesn't frustrate the people who want to speed up your game, like spoiling the end of a murder mystery would frustrate people who want to figure out the killer for themselves as they read instead of just watching the detective hero do all the thinking. That's because nothing intellectual and vital to the pokemon experience is lost when grind, no matter how minimal, is minimized further.
    I'm not really sure what point or argument you're trying to convey. You seem to allude to the argument being focused around the story (to which I believed to be about skipping through the boring parts of the story), but then you branch to discussing about acknowledging consumer feedback, and then your final point concludes with how nothing is lost when grind is removed from Pokémon. To that, I can say that the developer has responded to feedback by stating their position on why they don't want people using speedup, and that the game shouldn't require any grinding. While your claims about grind are true about other ROMHacks, the developer has explicitly stated that the hack doesn't require grinding, and it is unfair that you continue to generalize his hack to all the other ROMHacks made. I'm open to clarification on what you meant here, if you clarify this point I will attempt to respond to it (that is, if I'm still interested in responding).
    Ever play Dark Souls? The only Dark Souls game I've played so far respawns enemies if you run back to heal. This clearly communicates how the process of getting through the area in one go is the intended experience, it's what was tested and balanced for. The player is punished for running back to heal. This turns running back to heal into a choice with trade offs. Is it worth running back to heal, and re-doing this route again? Would you do better this time, know what to watch out for, improve as a player? It also ensures any moment where you take damage puts you closer to death and the need to retry. This adds tension to the combat. Even if you could defeat an enemy by running forwards and attacking like a moron without doing anything smart like trying to avoid damage, losing health in the process makes the rest of the game harder until you can get to a source of healing. It's an interesting game design choice, one of many in the Dark Souls series, and I think it would improve Scale X Fang 2: Claw X Foot or whatever you decide to call it.
    (I have not played Dark Souls so I cannot comment on this)
    Resetting trainers every time the route is left until the route is cleared sounds like something that would be easy for Pokemon. I think I'll do it if I ever make another Pokemon game.
    Feedback like this is constructive and helpful. The developer already wants to implement save points with a quicksave feature to add more consequence to playing poorly. A feature like this could possibly be done by preventing the player from going back to the Poké Center, adding even more stakes to each route, although that's up to the developer. If you continue to respond here, you should give more constructive feedback, instead of just ending all your points with "therefore, speedup should be added back" as you do seem to acknowledge the idea that a game is designed poorly if it requires speedup.
    If you're afraid of people speeding through dialogue and missing something, let people skip it and then talk to NPCs afterwards to be told where to go and what to do unless you're writing a sidequest mystery where the player is actually supposed to puzzle things out based on missable clues. That element of figuring things out for yourself served Fallout well, but then again this isn't Fallout.
    Dialogue is meant to be read, so people shouldn't be given the choice to speed through it in the first place. The problem is less that NPCs don't tell you where to go after you talk to them, and more that the type of people to speedup through dialogue are the type that don't really care to pay attention and inevitably get stuck. There is only so much a developer can do in guiding people with that type of mentality to not do such a thing.
    If you're afraid of people speeding through gameplay, create gameplay challenges that can't be beaten by mindlessly attacking without paying attention to the game's intricacies and tradeoffs.
    Creating more engaging gameplay is also something I agree with, but again some people are stuck in their ways and will still use speedup.
    And for the music, if you want people to listen to it at the intended speed, let people listen to it outside the game. If people are going to mute the game and speed it up, or mute the game and listen to audiobooks while mashing A at the intended speed instead of the player-desired speed if that's not an option, there's a chance the player will listen to the game's OST via youtube or soundcloud or bandcamp.
    The point of music in a game is for players to listen to while playing the game. Saying that OST tracks on YouTube "solves" the issue of speedup players wanting to listen to the music at its proper speed does not acknowledge that is not a solution. Music isn't just simply there in a game; the specific tracks for each section add emotion and tone to the current scene. Stating that listening to the OST on YouTube is equivalent to in-game when there are other elements in the game that complement the music is extremely ignorant and disrespectful to the game at whole.
    In conclusion, while you may have a few good points in your arguments (namely just making Pokémon gameplay more engaging), they are ultimately clouded down by the rest of your arguments, your insistence on claiming anti-speedup is accessibility, and your inability to respond to people's counterarguments.
    You know what's great about the truth not being democratically determined or subjective? I don't have to convince anyone or their personal fanclub and discord buddies...
    I don't have to explain why I am right to anyone who's not going to listen.
    It's your perogative whether you want to justify yourself, but know that without effective communication, your ideas will not go anywhere. Based on the fact that most in the thread have not been convinced, justifying how they're unconvinced with counterarguments to your arguments (which you have not responded to), I don't think you've done a good job in justifying your arguments.

Back