• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you think humans will evolve in the future?

Commander-Charon

Pastafarian
    Years
    I lol'd at "naturally selected." One flaw I'd like to point out: even skinny people have the ability to store fat. EVERYONE has the ability to store fat. If someone didn't have that trait, then they'd die as infants anyway, so they couldn't pass on their genes. Also, where would the excess fat go? Gross. What about basic adipose tissue mechanisms?

You should have read more carefully. I said:
    begin losing our ability to store massive amounts of fat

I should have worded that better, but i meant that we would lose our ability to store more fat than we need.

Evolution dose not exist, its all straw arm arguments, and week evidence. That aside I will humor you and say I would love some gills. :3
    Proof of evolution lives in my backyard. His name is rockie.

Last edited:

Commander-Charon

Pastafarian
    Years
    One flaw I'd like to point out: even skinny people have the ability to store fat. EVERYONE has the ability to store fat. If someone didn't have that trait, then they'd die as infants anyway, so they couldn't pass on their genes.
    ...I mean that we wouldent store fat at every chance we get, just enough to live.
    Also, where would the excess fat go? Gross.
    Wait, are we talking about pokemon evolution or real evolution?
    Where does the excess fat go? Instead of storing the energy as fat, we burn it...?
    What about basic adipose tissue mechanisms?
    What the heck is that? ive never taken an anatomy couse so IDK what that means. If this is something really simple that im just not recognizing, please excuse me.

You can put your faith in evolution and religion simultaneously - why does nobody understand that?
    I tried but the cognitive dissonance made my head hurt.

Last edited:

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    ...I mean that we wouldent store fat at every chance we get, just enough to live.

Wait, are we talking about pokemon evolution or real evolution?
    Where does the excess fat go? Instead of storing the energy as fat, we burn it...?

What the heck is that? ive never taken an anatomy couse so IDK what that means. If this is something really simple that im just not recognizing, please excuse me.

I tried but the cognitive dissonance made my head hurt.

The only really plausible option is excretion, but that's just a medical disorder. And sort of gross.

Adipose cells divide in order to accommodate higher fat uptake and expand / contract depending on the amount of fat currently stored. As you eat more and overfill your body's supply, the adipose cells divide and make more room, quite possibly an infinite amount, technically. In order to undergo the change you propose, we'd need to either (1) stop taking in fat altogether, (2) stop our fat cells from dividing so we can't store it, or (3) burn the fat as soon as we intake it.

To address these solutions:

(1) This is evolutionary disadvantageous and cannot be controlled. We will be unable to function if we are unable to take in fats after we have hit a certain threshold since fats compose the majority of our energy source anyway. We would burn our fat stores and then have to take in more fat after that, and therefore have to eat more meals than is currently efficient and necessary.

(2) We can't stop our fat cells from dividing. We don't have the biological mechanisms inside our bodies. One way to go about this is to release growth-inhibitor hormones once we've hit the maximum number of cells, but that will also affect the entire body because we've already evolved so much into the body-specific receptor system. Then, this brings up the problem of where the fat goes when we can't hold anymore anyway.

(3) This is a high-maintenance solution with low long-term gain. See below:

When we burn our "extra" fat, where would the excess energy go? Sure we will use some of it for daily use, but the reason why we store fat already is because we use up a great majority of it in our daily trials anyway. We will be more active, but in exchange, we will need to eat a lot more to sustain the body's constant destruction of lipid molecules. Even so, there will be a lot of excess energy that plays no purpose in the body (and there has to be an output for energy anyway, since that's how the body works). If you say to developing the body, then (1) our body system will have to completely overhaul itself and change to incorporate a system that destroys and replaces muscles without destroying them through exercise (you can't just overlay muscle; you need to destroy and rebuild it), (2) therefore, we would need to burn a lot more energy and therefore need to eat a lot more and (3) we would probably die off from lack of food and our bodies will become a lot more inefficient. Moreover, the inherent problem with this solution is that you can't control how much fat is burnt anyway... What if you're completely idle?

Commander-Charon

Pastafarian
    Years
    (2) We can't stop our fat cells from dividing. We don't have the biological mechanisms inside our bodies. One way to go about this is to release growth-inhibitor hormones once we've hit the maximum number of cells, but that will also affect the entire body because we've already evolved so much into the body-specific receptor system. Then, this brings up the problem of where the fat goes when we can't hold anymore anyway.
    I will take #2, our cells stop dividing. Certian cells in your body already do not reproduce, so why not apply this to fat cells?

Livinitup17

Pokemon Dealer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2012
    i think humans will get bigger and less stronger turning more into sloths and lack any much body movement

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    i think humans will get bigger and less stronger turning more into sloths and lack any much body movement

Why would that happen? In what way will lack of movement and strength be beneficial to humanity in such a way that it is more likely for those traits to be passed on?

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    Why would that happen? In what way will lack of movement and strength be beneficial to humanity in such a way that it is more likely for those traits to be passed on?

Evolution doesn't just improve on. It removes pointless things. As far as our bodies can tell, it thinks we're just not doing anything. If this continues, we will eventually get smaller in stature and weaker in strength because we don't need the height, or the strength. However, most likely society will collapse in the hundreds of thousands of years that it will take for that to happen, so it probably wont happen. Unless somehow we actually to evolve (technologically speaking) so far in every sense, that it would nearly be impossible to wipe our civilization and society off the planet.

Meh. Rambling.

Commander-Charon

Pastafarian
    Years
    Evolution doesn't just improve on. It removes pointless things. As far as our bodies can tell, it thinks we're just not doing anything. If this continues, we will eventually get smaller in stature and weaker in strength because we don't need the height, or the strength. However, most likely society will collapse in the hundreds of thousands of years that it will take for that to happen, so it probably wont happen. Unless somehow we actually to evolve (technologically speaking) so far in every sense, that it would nearly be impossible to wipe our civilization and society off the planet.

Meh. Rambling.

You have to remeber that evolution only happens becuase of sex. Unless somthing hampers your ability to have it (most commonly by death) it will not be affected by evolution. There are tons of examples of useless things still stuck on our body, but they dont stop us from reproducing, so they stay.

In our modern world height has no affect on ability to reproduce, so we will not grow any shorter.

Sonic65

welp
    Years
    Most likely, we'll continue the trends of the past millions of years and evolve not so much physically but moreso mentally.

Also, the theory of evolution can coexist with religion - it just can't coexist with intelligent design (that is, if you believe God made us as is, in the state we are now, as opposed to just creating the first lifeform or our ancestors and letting us evolve, or even controlling the evolutionary process).

By the way, the hard evidence for evolution far outclasses and outnumbers the evidence for intelligent design or a God so lmao. Just saying, not like you have to believe me or anything.

shot571

I dont think we will evolve. I think we will screw up the world before that happens. (nice thoughts I know :P)

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Also, the theory of evolution can coexist with religion - it just can't coexist with intelligent design (that is, if you believe God made us as is, in the state we are now, as opposed to just creating the first lifeform or our ancestors and letting us evolve, or even controlling the evolutionary process).

Hmmm intelligent design is a really big part of religion though. I think if you seriously believe in God then you cannot believe in evolution.

Apparently we are evolving so we will not have wisdom teeth as well.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    If we had tails, that would be epic!
    That would be, but tails seem to be used as a counterweight, and I don't think we need help keeping balance. xD
    If anything, I'd love to have cat-like eyes that absorb light so I'd be able to see in movie theaters when I'm trying to find my seat. Or, you, know, for just general use.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    Our brains will grow bigger, and since we will have more brainpower, our fingers will have grown into arms of their own.

And since we would be off-balanced, our feet will grow bigger to stay balanced.

Exothermic

Keeper of the Hammer
    Years
    I think we will develop intellectually; the average IQ and EQ of a human would probably increase with urbanisation and education. xD

But I think we'll all become physically weaker too, since too many people don't exercise and prefer to play video games. D:

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
    Years
    Humans might have chances of evolving, but not at this kind of time. Didn't we heard the news? The new species are taking place, and if we evolve now, the nature will have a lot of weight on it's head. Does anyone get what I said?

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Hmmm intelligent design is a really big part of religion though. I think if you seriously believe in God then you cannot believe in evolution.

Apparently we are evolving so we will not have wisdom teeth as well.
    You can believe in God just fine, it's just you can't believe in the Christian God.
    When you can take a week to create all of everything, wouldn't it be easier- and infinitely more humane- to do that than to take millions of years of guiding little organisms into a humanoid form, choose when souls begin to apply, and make Eden-part of your infallible holy book- a myth?

Not trying to start an argument, it's just a little thinkin' food. As a matter of fact, if you don't reply, that's probably best.
    In other news, No wisdom teeth would be awesome. xD But I like my tonsils.

Years
    I doubt we will evolve physically. We need to mentally evolve. Once that is done, we shall indeed be the ultimate race. :) Nah, that sounds a bit sci-fi-ey. Anyways. I do think we need to evolve mentally though, and sort of physically. So the body doesn't take in as much fat as it does with around half of the world today! :/

Back