• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How do you train your Pokemon?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
  • How do you train your Pokemon?

Is it the Day Care primarily, the PokeWalker..? Do you do it while doing other things (i.e. posting on PC and giving 1/3 attention to the game itself)? Do you do it between breaks at work, or recess at school? On the bus home / to work / to school? Do you grind all your Pokemon to the same level, or concentrate on a super-strong Pokemon? Are you offensive-based or defensive-based move-wise?

I'm just curious lol

Personally, I play hardcore, and I play while only giving the DS 1/3 of my attention. I don't actually sit and play without doing something else usually. I also like to keep my Pokemon around the same level each, and level them four levels or higher in comparison to the next Gym Leader.

MegaSlowBro.

泣かないで。
    Years
  • I normally do it while I'm doing other things, and I've recently stared to use the pokewalker to help me. I only use the daycare center to level up my UN pokemon, but occasionally I use it for breeding. I grind my pokemon & use an offensive style play. Usually, my team is around the same level as the next gym leader or higher, but I've noticed in SS I've had to grind earlier in the game =p

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    When I'm just starting a game, I pay nearly full attention to training, but by later on, I generally train while doing other things (like reading articles online, etc.). It's also fun to train on one game while also training/playing another console game (e.g., train on a DS game while also training on Colosseum or XD or beating stadiums in Pokemon Stadium 1/2 that I never got around to beating before).

I don't like to use the Daycare to breed. So far, I haven't used the Pokewalker, and while I suspect I'll use it a little, I don't plan on using it for training anything terribly significant.

Years
  • I usually play for a good solid 2-3 hours each time I turn my DS on. I've rarely used the pokewalker yet, but once I start going for runs and getting back into shape then I will use that. Hopefully it works while you bike..will be doing a lot of that during the summer. But, I tend to level out my starter quiker then most of the other pokemon, so I do the old swap during a battle for the first couple levels then once a pokemon is strong enough I let it battle. With gym leaders I tend to be five or so levels ahead.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I like to keep my pokemon around the same level, and now to train faster I usually put one in the daycare while battling trainers and wild pokemon with the others. I only use the pokewalker when I'm at school.

right now I'm raising all of my pokemon to at least lv.35 before I go to Olivine then Cianwood. Most of my pokemon are around the same lvl:
    Lv.34 Ziggy (meganium)
    Lv. 32 Akamunchy (snorlax)
    Lv. 32 Foretress
    and Lv. 32 Ruby (vulpix)
    and I caught a miltank (wasn't intending to it just popped up) and I'm gonna put it in the daycare..

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    It depends.. I give it 1/3 of my attention a lot if I'm just battling wild Pokemon, but I pay a lot of attention during the plot and stuff. :3 I really like to train and be over prepared

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
  • I have one Pokemon who has a massive level and awesome stats and moves, the others are balanced. I just spend 2/3 of my playing time in HGSS to battle wild Pokemon and trainers. :)

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
  • nice topic :3
    i'm always roaming pc while playing HG. it's funner that way :D
    i never use the day care for gaining levels, only for breeding.
    i always keep one pokemon on my pokewalker (right now my SE Pichu <3) cause i need my pokemon doses throughout the day x3
    all my pokemon are at the same level. they have offensive moves.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I don't have much time to play DS, but I will give my full attention to it when I do. I use the Pokewalker A LOT, epecially when I workout and at work, as I am constantly roaming about. I am pushing to get 100,000 steps by the weekend.

I have three rules I religiously follow when I play -

1 - I turn off the Switch option. Too much like cheating.

2 - My Pokemon cannot be higher than the next gym leader's highest. For example, I just defeated Falkner and none of my Pokemon were higher than L11.

3 - I cannot use items (Potions, Revive, etc.) during battles. They can only be used before or after.

These rules at least help make the game somewhat of a challenge and mimmick REAL battles against non-computer opponents that were programmed to allow them to be beaten by a 6-year old.

As for strategy, I keep a team of 4 Pokemon and then include 2 HM slaves. I keep my movesets well-rounded and try to include a way for a Pokemon to heal itself (Rest, Recover, etc.) or heal others (Wish). I will be taking a break at the Daycare Center to breed for Egg Moves and correct natures for my team and then will have to take time to EV train them and then get them back to the level they were before I started the breeding process.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Everyone has a different way, it seems XD

I'd use the PokeWalker a lot if I actually went outside more often; I generally keep all my Pokemon at the same level.

I currently have, for example:

Vulpix lvl. 29
    Mareep lvl. 29
    Chikorita lvl. 29
    Eevee lvl. 12

I just beat Whitney and I have yet to do Mortimer (Morty, I guess lol)

I use items, held items, etc., but not very often since my Pokemon are extremely strong compared to the others' :\

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    I just play the game...yeah...that's it...

Back