• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you use the markings?

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
    Years
    I use them for marking perfect IVs. I have set boxes for breeding, some for wild captures, some for those I want to keep. Using it to mark IVs help a lot if you breed and trade Perfect IV Mons

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    In Diamond, my system was:
    -Circle for pokemon that I need the pre-evolutions for the dex, representing an egg shape.
    -Triangle for pokemon that I need evolutions for the dex, representing an upward arrow
    -Square to easily locate pokemon with Pokerus
    -Heart shape for traded pokemon
    -Star for EV trained pokemon
    -Diamond shape for shinies

As of XY, I just use them for IVs though.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
    Alot have mostly started using them to signify a Perfect IV stat it has in, and if you haven't, you really should. It could help you and other people who you trade some Pokemon to.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I use them to mark down my Pokemon's perfect IVs, now that I actually do IV breeding in Kalos.

In B2/W2, I used the heart marker for my favorite Pokemon, as in the ones I trained or planned on training; the star marker for special Pokemon, like N's Pokemon for example; and the diamond marker for Pokemon with their hidden abilities.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I never got the purposed for the markings so I've never did use them. Probably won't in X and Y though they seem good for organizing.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2014
    I pretty much only play the games for quick play-throughs and/or challenges so more often than not I don't actually bother with the markings.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
    In previous games, I would use the heart marking to denote my main party Pokemon.

Now that I've started IV breeding, I've realized how unbelievably useful they are for remembering which Pokemon have perfect IVs in which stats.

Years
    I've used them for marking perfect IVs since at least Platinum, because other than that I never really saw much of a point for them. But they could be used for conveniently marking specific stuff of yours I guess.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I never actually mark my pokes and I just went thru the game since I don't trade and only care about is Pokemon's EV stats

Back